custom charges

aymank

ok so its in UK , WITH customs charges!!! im so angry, i am going to contact parcel force today at some point, is there any way of trying to avoid this charge??, the sender did assure me it was marked down and send as 'gift ' - so not sure why customs have made charges??? i am going to say it was a christmas present from my cusin (not really a lie as im sure we all trace back to adam n eve!!) is there anyway at all of avoidin the charge, if not what might i expect to pay??

BuFF DaDDy

Novice Member
Sorry mate, for them to and the item over you will have to cough for the custom charges, they will not release it witout payment. You then need to get a reciept and take this up with the seller (I assume its Ebay), you could also contact Paypal and start a dispute. Dont hold your breath though mate, your better to just learn from experience when shipping these sort of items from abroad.

rss

You've got no chance of avoiding the charge i'm afraid. It's pot luck whether you get hit or not. They may have opened the package and determined the value is higher than that marked on the packaging and so charged you accordingly.

Alun

Figure on around 20% of what you paid for it(or what the value on the label says) and about £15 'handling charge':thumbsdow

smashed

You cant cheat the system by asking for it to be marked down as "gift". I think they see that and think.. ."really"...

Do you think something boxed up the size of a Wii and accessories is going to look like its below £18??

smashed

I think the charge will be VAT , plus an additional percentage (4%) for DVDs, plus a £4 RM handling charge

aymank

cheers for the info, oh well, i supose the good thing is someone from new york posted a wii on friday and it available for collection today, thats 5 working days....i still haven't receieved a christmas card from my mum n dad, n they live in london...jus shows ey !!

dan1979

Putting 'gift' on a package just ups the duty threshold by about £7 nothing else.

I always had stuff sent marked as 'commerical sample value $1' and similar and never got charged.

Alun

I'm always a little worried about importing high value goods and marking down the value. I'd rather run the customs gauntlet than risk losing it all if it fails to show.

And I have run the gauntlet and won a few times.

also lost. but hey ho.

lyndley

Novice Member
ok so its in UK , WITH customs charges!!! im so angry, i am going to contact parcel force today at some point, is there any way of trying to avoid this charge??, the sender did assure me it was marked down and send as 'gift ' - so not sure why customs have made charges??? i am going to say it was a christmas present from my cusin (not really a lie as im sure we all trace back to adam n eve!!) is there anyway at all of avoidin the charge, if not what might i expect to pay??
You still have to pay customs charges on gifts, it's just the limit before you have to pay is a bit higher. Normally you get customs charged for anything over ~£18, if you mark as a gift then this is raised to ~£30.

Admittedly customs charges are **** but what I find worse is the "administration fee" parcel force and the like stick on top. :thumbsdow

Newbie1001

Novice Member
The duty for Gifts is still only £38 instead of £18. You are lucky they have not confiscated it for avoidance of duty. Marking down is all well and good but if they still check the parcel, you aint going to get away with it. Customs may be slack sometimes but they aint stupid

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom