Custom Aspect ratio Painted Projector Screen Questions

grahamachilles

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've saved getting a screen until last for my mixed use media room- I have a 5.1.4 system with an Epson 5040 UB wall mounted 14 feet away from a gigantic wall (off white, textured). The projector is quite bright so it looks great except when image is too light- then you can see the texture and it degrades pretty fast. I've overlooked the issue until now, because I'm really indecisive and stubborn about aspect ratio compromises, and it made sense to get the most essential items first, and save the essential but not quite as essential items for later. Now is that time.

I prefer a big image, I like to watch/game on a 16:9 135 inch screen, maybe 13 feet away. Cinemascope I prefer about 144 inches diagonal, literally the brink of what my epson can project at that distance. I need the more immersion factor for widescreen as intended, but I also need an impressive display for gaming and quality television/streaming movies in 16:9/ 16:10. I will not compromise in CIW or CIH directions. So, I think that painting a screen at max height and max width is the way to go! By the way, my room is about 4500 cubic feet, the ceilings are 12 feet high, the wall is maybe 18 feet long. It's a nicely sized room and almost a square.

I'm really open to any suggestions about paint/ and also the problem I have with texture. I know people re coat the drywall with joint compound and theres a process to that. Then there are different schools of thought about painting in layers, custom mixing, buying pre mixed specifically marketed paints, primers... I don't know where to begin. I also pretty weak at the DIY stuff- but I'm willing to try and enlist the help of a handiman or painter if necessary. I do not want to purchase a screen for thousands of dollars that won't ever be the versatile dimensions I need.

The light situation: I have big windows with shades that are not blackout. A skylight haha, light walls, so very poor light control. It's a mixed use room as I said. I'm happy with what the Epson does for me at 14 feet at 135/144 inches, but I want to maximize contrast, brightness, black levels and am looking for something higher gain, that could even let me enjoy tv a little more, a little earlier in the day before dusk. I am not asking for miracles, but I know I can do a lot better than this textured eggshell wall. So, any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• setup1.jpeg
    setup1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • setup2.jpeg
    setup2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • setup3.jpeg
    setup3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
Just the basics here to try and solve your issues.
The easiest way to solve this is to probably get that wall plastered , I suspect that when the wall was dry it would have to sanded down also in order to try to get the wall as flat as possible, then it would need painting, a grey paint would help with contrast etc, there are also few projector wall paints also out there, a simple Google search would point you in the right direction there.

Thanks- I have a basic understanding of the process, and also of google searches. I've seen options from Paint on screen, goo systems, etc, and also been looking at custom solution threads. I posted on here in hopes that someone with DIY experience could recommend a process/mixture for my situation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom