Custom 15" vs SVS in small room

Nick1881

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My room is very small, like 9 x 11 feet or something, I have the 12" SVS cylinder at the moment but I keep thinking I could build a 15" tall enclosure that would take up the same space. But do I need it? The SVS is pretty brutal in my room, in fact this morning I opened a kitchen cupboard and some stuff fell out, I guess it's been shaken up.

How would a sealed 15" compare with my SVS or would it just be complete overkill in my room?

Thanks

One can argue you can never have too much subwoofer, you can just have insufficient space for more (or mooar as the case may be) subwoofer.

A sealed 15" is likely to have a different character to a ported 12" so the Q is what is it you're looking for? if you check the USC thread in the main sub forum, you'll see some posts from the_dude who currently has a 15" sealed sub on home demo in a (approx) 9' square room. He seems to like it :)

Thanks for the reply.

I only use my sub for movies so musical ability isn't as important. I like deep rumbling, trouser flapping bass, the SVS certainly shakes me well, but as always, it leaves you wanting more, I want the sub to literally beat the hell out of me lol.

I used to be into car audio and sat in a few cars that would literally vibrate your hair, I'd love to get that amount of air movement in a room.

Last edited:
It sound like you need another sub if your that bass hungry........in such a small space with said svs sub should be enough for most bass heads but i guess not all:laugh:

It would depend on if you have some form of room eq involved imo.

I have the Anthem sorting things out, it was pretty awful before, my room had a major null, ARC has performed a miracle.

I have the Anthem sorting things out, it was pretty awful before, my room had a major null, ARC has performed a miracle.

I guess when you factor all your kit in a room as small as yours and it cant sort your lfe problems, sell the sub you have and buy 4 bk400s or similar. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:
I have a USC 15" on home trial in my room which is 11 x 13ft approx, my own sub is an SVS PC+ 20-39 the USC 15 beats it out of sight.

It does not necessarily go much deeper but it goes much louder and has a mid range punch that really does hit you hard in the chest. It is a much smaller sub (40cm cube) and has a separate 3000watt amp. It is an awesome sub but to be fair cost about twice as much as my SVS (approx £700 when new a few years ago).

I don't know whether you intend to build your own though, I suspect it would cost you about £750 for the amp and driver plus whatever you could build the box for (guesstimate £200 if you are good at DIY).

Or you can buy one ready made for £1400 approx if you don't have any DIY skills.

These subs can compete performance wise with any commercial sub in the £2000+ price bracket.

Thanks for the reply.

I only use my sub for movies so musical ability isn't as important. I like deep rumbling, trouser flapping bass, the SVS certainly shakes me well, but as always, it leaves you wanting more, I want the sub to literally beat the hell out of me lol.

I used to be into car audio and sat in a few cars that would literally vibrate your hair, I'd love to get that amount of air movement in a room.

You will love the USC 15 it does all this and more.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds very interesting, I'm pretty sure I could build it myself, I could get some help from a friend who is pretty good with this stuff too. I guess next step is spec up the parts required and have some clever people help me with box dimensions.

:rotfl:.............................it makes a good cup of tea in the morning!! what were you thinking?:D

Martini shaken not stirred :-D

What else does it do?

He said musical ability was not important, the USC is.:) fast and deep and not just a one note sub, it can be played loud or is just as happy at mid volume levels.

It won't make a coffee but as scott says it will do a shaken martini if you have it up loud enough.:D

As said by Keith the other option i build 2 small subs.
My single 15 is mental on its now but adding a 2nd has just smoothed the hole response out and added me 13db of gain so when set up gives more headroom and makes everything's life easier but its there if you need it.

He said musical ability was not important, the USC is.:) fast and deep and not just a one note sub, it can be played loud or is just as happy at mid volume levels.

It won't make a coffee but as scott says it will do a shaken martini if you have it up loud enough.:D

I am sure it would also shake the drinks cabinet on the other side of the room :)

On the deep side of things! how many db does it play at 10hz..........just to give me some form of measure on what my diy 15"s will produce , and obviously the USC will be cleaner which one would expect from the better driver.

On the deep side of things! how many db does it play at 10hz..........just to give me some form of measure on what my diy 15"s will produce , and obviously the USC will be cleaner which one would expect from the better driver.
It will hit nearly 95db at 10Hz same as mine.
Add room gain.

It will hit nearly 95db at 10Hz same as mine.
Add room gain.

How do I get this? :D

So if I had a box that was roughly 40W x 40D x whatever height is needed, what driver would be best? Behringer NU3000 should be ok on the amp front?

How do I get this? :D

So if I had a box that was roughly 40W x 40D x whatever height is needed, what driver would be best? Behringer NU3000 should be ok on the amp front?

A 20" / 21" cube sealed ff will get you this made from 1" mdf with a double baffled front panel and with internal bracing.........on the driver front either the Audiobahn aw150t = £45 or the Audiobahn aw1500v which has now gone up to £89 plus a nu3000 / nu3000dsp around £210 to £300 respectively.

Not keen on the look of the Audiobahn subs.

I was always a fan of JL audio in my car stereo days.

The Fi SP415 looks very impressive, or the BL15 could maybe be a slightly cheaper alternative?

Not keen on the look of the Audiobahn subs.

I was always a fan of JL audio in my car stereo days.

The Fi SP415 looks very impressive, or the BL15 could maybe be a slightly cheaper alternative?

Yes either of the 2 drivers you have menstioned will make for an even better performing sub with less destortion at 20hz down to 10hz and with slightly more spl........i'm building 2 15" sealed units atm with a couple of aw1500v's and i know they will be enough for most people but i also like a very musical tight fast bass too even more so.

The only fi i would use in a box is a q or a sp4 or x . The others i believe are other designs.

The fi drivers can go in small boxes and lake lots of power, the audiobahn work in bigger boxes and need less power.

But the likes of and fi q will go nicely in a 60/70l box and the sp4 nicely in a 90/100. But the audiobahn need about 150 to get the best from them.
I had then both in a 95l box and they sounded awesome.

What would be better 1 x SP4 in a 60/70l box or 2 x Q15's in a box together at 120l?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom