Curved vs Traditional

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by vanurdi010310, Jul 5, 2015.

1. vanurdi010310

vanurdi010310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Are there any benefits for buying curved vs traditional or is it simply how it looks and the style?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,892
    The idea behind curved screens is that they give a sense of depth when looking at panoramic scenes. Most use some level of image processing to increase the effect further. This can lead to distortion with panning shots and where people are involved.

The downside of curved screens is that the viewing angle is more limited and you really need to sit on axis in terms of vertical height, so wall fixing is not always a good idea.

That being said, I find the viewing experience very immersive and the depth perception almost as convincing as 3D, but without the glasses.

3. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,398
    I think curved TVs are terrible. A symptom of the need for manufacturers to find a new reason to sell the same TVs, IMO
    But some people love them, so each to their own.

4. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a brief look at some curved screens (even though I'm not looking for one...) over the weekend - I found the LG OLED's had a "holographic" effect to them, which made them appear as though they were 3D. The Samsung curved ones had a similar appearance, but it was less pronounced. However, it didn't agree with my eyes/brain, and I felt sick when looking at them.

5. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,398
    My TVs are wall mounted and I have seen curved ones wall mounted and it just doesn't look right to me. May be if stand mounted but not wall mounted.

Also the need to face the TV head on is limiting.
    Which is quite funny when the curved OLED owners cite LED off axis viewing as a problem but the curved ones present a similar if not greater problem

6. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    My TV is curved and wall mounted - don't even notice anymore. In fact it comes out about the same depth as my speakers so looks rather nice

Even sitting to one side in some ways I think it's better than a flat.

Not a deal breaker either way for me. If you have a highly reflective room then it may throw up the odd reflection.

I think I would advise that if the TV you want is curved don't let it stop you. But not something I would particularly choose as a specific feature either