Curved Screen , Projectors and aspect ratio

harry37

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im looking to set up a curved screen for a cycling simulator (zwift) and golf simulator in a basement area with no external light.
Im looking at a screen size of around
  • Wide 241" (611cm) *
  • Height 102" (260cm)
  • diagonal of 261inch
  • base width of 222"(565cm) assuming a radius of 177.17" (450cm)
This screen should roughly be cinema ie 2.35 :1

I know that the source content of the cycling simulator can publish as wide as 32:9 ie if I connect the computer with the cycling software up to a super ultra wide monitor it publishes the image with no cropping or stretching ie it appears to leave the vertical alone and shows you more information at the sides. The resolution and pixel count is of interest but I figured Im more concerned with the immersive feeling so wish the maximise the "environment" i see around me. Im focusing less on HD vs 4k etc as I understand it thats the pixel count within the prescribed space....I want the space to be larger (not cropped) so I figured I'll have to accept a reduction in pixel count.(overall for the image)

Id like to project this image onto a curved screen. Most of the comments I see from people who are in the situation where they know the source eg its film at 16:9 or 2.35:1 and then its how to best accurately present this. In this case its a virtual world source is variable to some extent so in theory you may be able to access 360 degrees.

If I connect a projector (with Anamorphic lens) at a throw of say 220" (550cm) how do I ensure that it maximises the "environment" ie the keep the source signal at say 2.35.1 and then projects to the screen as opposed to the computer thinking its connected to a 16:9 display source and so the output is 16:9 and then I adjust , scale , move the lens to that it fits the 2.35:1 screen but I lose 24% (I think thats the maths if its 16:9 to 2.35.1) of the image.

Any ideas on projectors that would be good for this?

I think this may be similar for the golf simulator but i need to check.

If the golf simulator is only producing a 16:9 image (at whatever resolution) then I will be losing 24% of the image projecting it onto a 2:35.1 curved screen accurately however if the simulator can produce a wider image (whilst maintaining the same height as the 16:9) then I get more "information / environment" at the sides and I can project this onto the wider screen.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

I would be tempted to look at a pair of 4K /hd projectors and a scaler to join together. i think you are pushing the limits with a single projector unless you go for professional venue model. Then 2x £10k projectors + scaler £5k is going to be less than venue grade 4K projector. I think that is the approach taken by 360 theme parks etc. Alternatively you could just accept HD and probably the cost halves.

Interested to see pictures of end result.

Kevin

Hi

Yeah i mentioned multiple projectors however they golf simulator chap noted that because you are hitting golf balls against the screen it can move a little and then the synchronisation gets a little out which can be noticeable.

Sounds like a scaler might be an idea regardless if I stick with one projector or two. That way I can manage the source signal (from the golf/cycling software) to to the output projector!

For your dual projector screen option, might be worth seeing what Stewart do, they do the theme parks in the US as well as movie screens. Now won’t be cheap but they may have solution for your golf ball impact issue.

They may well do you a fixed screen which is say 320 x 90. Each 16x9 projector doing 160 x 90 image. 180 diagonal image. Mid in the projector spec range 60 to 300. So should be quite punchy image.

A lot of medium to high end home cinema projectors have built in scalers with anamorphic modes, it's not up to a top grade scaler quality but might be fine for your usage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom