Curved screen for flight sim - paint choice

saxtoda

Hi everyone,

We're in the process of constructing a large curved screen for a flight sim for a youth organisation.
The screen is approx. 6m long and 4m tall (and curved).
the flight sim will sit right in the middle and therefore will be approx. 1m to 2m away from the eye (depending on which seat you're in).
We're using 3 Optoma GT1080e projectors (blended) which I believe have around 3000 lumens output each.
Optoma recommend a 'grey' colour when the distance is 'close'.
The room is very dark - no other light sources.

I've seen lots of old posts about paints, but they were all very technical and confusing (to me), so wondered if anyone could recommend a paint type/brand/colour that would be best to use please? (we're in the UK).

many thanks in advance,

Dan

Conrad

If you're looking at using "regular" paint the easiest and most neutral paint is Dulux's Grey Steel. It comes in four shades, 1 being the darkest and 4 being the lightest. If you're completely light controlled then Grey Steel 4 would be worth looking at.

It'll give you slightly less light reflected than a regular white paint, but it's more evenly colour balanced.

It's also called Indian White.

I use it on my wall, nowhere near that size though.

Make sure to post up some pictures of the build, it sounds amazing.

saxtoda

perfect, thanks for that, will post an update when we're finished - still lots of filling and sanding to do!

It looks like the options for finishes are:

Durable Flat Matt
Vinyl Matt
Vinyl Soft Sheen
High Gloss
Vinyl Silk
Diamond Matt
Satinwood
etc
etc

Would 'Flat Matt' finish be the best?

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
i think ur gonna have tonnes of lumens so get a dark shade of Grey steel to lower ur black level if u cant clamp down iris on ur PJs easily.

Conrad

perfect, thanks for that, will post an update when we're finished - still lots of filling and sanding to do!

It looks like the options for finishes are:

Durable Flat Matt
Vinyl Matt
Vinyl Soft Sheen
High Gloss
Vinyl Silk
Diamond Matt
Satinwood
etc
etc

Would 'Flat Matt' finish be the best?
Yes, flat Matt.

I wouldn’t go dark. If you’re light controlled you should have good enough blacks. It might be to taste though. Get a ton of each and run some tests?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom