Curved Blue Arc On Sony Kp-44ps2

Joti

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had this TV for just over a year and it has never caused me any problems. This morning, upon powering the TV up, there is a thick blue arc across the top/middle part of the screen running from left to right.

Obviously I know it is a fault(!) but was wondering if anyone had any possible diagnosis. The TV was on quite a lot yesterday, and is not normally, but it was fine when I powered it off at about 11pm...

Any advice would be appreciated, as would any suggestions for repairers in the Berkshire area :(

This is a CRT RP set, I believe. Moving to a more relevant forum.

Cant really help much here. All I can say is that when my PS2 switches to widescreen I do occacisonally get a blue "wisp" right at then top left of the screen about 2 inches long. This as soon as the screen has finished re-sizing it is business as usual. Sorry cant help further. Perhaps post a picture up may help us. Remember that guns can be turned off indvidually if required within the service menu, perhaps this may help narrow it down. Also if only just a year old from new you do still have rights under the sales of goods act.

Very similar to the "wisp" that I see although mine is only top left and a hell of a lot smaller and only during the switching signal. Would guess you are looking at a component that has broken down/failed on the convergence board. Just hope the company knows the score on these sets. Is the rest of the picture ok? It looks very blurry and the geometry at the bottom corner looks screwy. Do you think if the blue gun was switched off normal sevice would resume?

Yes, the rest of the picture is fine - there was obviously some panning going on when that was taken!!!!

Well, the TV is being carted off for repair tomorrow, so I hope it's nothing too expensive :thumbsdow

Thanks for the input anyway :thumbsup:

Please let me know how you get on either way. Fingers crossed for a reasonable price

Well, I was quoted about £350 for the fix (though that price includes the £75 for collection and delivery). They said it was the convergence IC orsomething like that.........

It's quite steep, but the best I could do otherwise is buy another one - the cheapest I have seen them is on ebay and then they are still £500+ :confused:

You did mention that the set was not that old. Could be time to start quoting the sales of goods act to the company you bought it from. You still have rights especially a set of this supposed quality. How much did you pay for it and also whom from.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom