Curtains to improve accoustics?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by davidjamesmar, Mar 27, 2006.

1. davidjamesmar

davidjamesmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the weekend I had a PJ installed, with amp and DVD, I am a happy man. I put down a lot of rugs to cure the wooden floor problem and stuck a load of foam on the walls to improve the sound, but one end of the room opens out into the rest of the house, causing a bit of booming. If I put a heavy curtain up will this help?:lease:

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    it *might* help, how big is room your in and the adjoining room?

3. davidjamesmar

davidjamesmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PJ room is shaped as if four 3mx3mx3m cubes were arranged like the letter T. It is open at the back on the middle cube of the top of the T, (sorry, maybe this only makes sense in my head because I know the room, I hope it is not too confusing). The opening (3m wide) opens into a wide staircase that goes up into the rest of the house, which is all hard walls and floors. I could make up some movable panels for this section but then I also need to deal with the two "wings" of the T and I though that curtains would help (I need to be able to use the sections as well and don't want to have a lot of panels to have to move each time).

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    sounds like curtains are your need then! you could use some gobo type devices but they would need storing when you want to do other things, so with curtains at least you can move them.

You can get curtains with thick inner linings but i dont know the brand off the top of my head, sorry