1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curse of colour.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gbcasual, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I have started to look into purchasing an amp for around £300, would use it mainly for TV/DVD and occasionally for music.

Having searched the forum, 3 amps keep being suggested for around this price range:
    Yamaha 630
    Marantz 4300
    Denon 1803

Spoke to the Missus about it, as she is helping financially..... bottom line, it is has to be Silver to match the other kit we have
    (Tosh 220e, Sony 28" W/S TV...)

This only leaves the Yamaha in the running as the others aren't available in Silver.

Question is....does anyone know of another similarly priced, silver amp that would compete with the Yamaha so I could compare them?

Cheers All

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony 1080 is worth a look. Also I think Onkyo do recievers in this range but I'm not familiar with them. Probably worth a listen. The Yam 630 is a great amp though if you go that way. I wouldn't go for a low end Denon, I found the 1802 very dissapointing when I demoed it for music.

3. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Yamaha is actually in Titanium so will be slight different colour to silver. It does look different to the normal silver seperates (as I have a silver Pioneer DVD player on top) so if that kind of thing really bothers you then steer clear.

4. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Thanks for your input.

Guess I'll go demo and compare silvers too. See if it makes an obvious statement.

5. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What about the Pioneer 811? that comes in silver and is about the same spec. and price as the ones you list.

:)