• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Currys

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Why do they not let you order out of stock items, even though it says stock due within 28 days?

Need to order a Samsung appliance by 31st July to get £100 back, plus Currys have a voucher code at the moment for a further discount.

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Probably because they know how lead times can be unreliable and don't want to disappoint customers who expect it to be available in 28 days.. when it may take longer, or never come at all.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Perhaps 28 days is code for 'restock date unknown'. I find it quite common for suppliers to quote a generic fugure when they have no idea.

A good test - go in and ask when stock will be available - 28 days is the answer.

Go in a week later and ask the same question - almost certain they will say 28 days.

Just bought a Samsung Fridge\Freezer. It wasn't part of the cashback deal. Mine is one of the new H Series. The ones in the cashback were just the G series. I wonder whether they are only offering cashback on models that are soon to be retired. I've not looked into it in any detail, just what I thought at the time.

BTW - look around

My fridge\freezer

Currys - £1299, 5 year warranty = £210

John Lewis - £898, 5 year warranty = £145

So Currys was £466 more expensive than a greatly superior supplier.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
Yes the one i'm after is a G series model

Yes it looks like the G Series is newer than the H Series. They look a fair bit better - should have looked closer - but moot if there are none to be had.

I guess they are either haven't got the production line in full swing or the promotion has been very popular.

Cheers,

Nigel

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
OK, moving to Comet, has anyone ever used their Clearance/Auction site?

I've seen one on there I've had my eye on for a while now (from the main store), but it's condition is 'New, unboxed'. What does this actually mean.

It does say it has no actual damage :thumbsup:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
ldoodle said:
OK, moving to Comet, has anyone ever used their Clearance/Auction site?

I've seen one on there I've had my eye on for a while now (from the main store), but it's condition is 'New, unboxed'. What does this actually mean.

It does say it has no actual damage :thumbsup:

New/unboxed, to me, sounds like ex display.
Nothing wrong with that really, although I'd worry about getting it home unboxed.
And I'd expect a good bit of money off, as the lack of a box would severely affect your ability to sell it on in future.
I keep all my TV boxes for upgrade time!

nheather

Distinguished Member

When we were in Comet on Monday evening we saw a Fisher and Paykel with about £400 knocked off the price. My wife asked why the discount, was it being discontinued and was told that it was because it was the last one and we would get that actual one that was out on display.

Having a stainless steel finish there were quite a few marks (that might clean off) and some small dings and scratches which would be a problem, so we passed.

Cheers,

Nigel

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
New/unboxed, to me, sounds like ex display.

That's what I thought.

although I'd worry about getting it home unboxed.

They want £50 delivery (cheeky fluffers I know, but it's probably at some far away store/HQ) so I would expect them to cover/box it appropriately for that sum. They probably still have the box out back.

And I'd expect a good bit of money off

It's ~3 times cheaper, even with the delivery added.

the lack of a box would severely affect your ability to sell it on in future.

You do know it's a kitchen appliance I'm talking about :p. Not something I would normally sell :laugh:

nabby

Distinguished Member
I ordered a G series fridge from Currys about 3 weeks ago when there was a 25% off offer. At the time I was told by email it'd be in stock within 10 days but that Currys would call me to arrange delivery. I've heard nothing since but given this thread it seems there may be very few in the country right now.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
some small dings and scratches which would be a problem, so we passed.

The condition report for what I'm looking at says N/A for all of the criteria. So I guess it's mint.

The thread is moot now anyway as the auction price (inc. delivery) is getting close to that of main store price, which has just come down £100.

Current bid is £450 (+ £50 for delivery = £500) and with a day and half still to go I can see it reaching £600+.

Store price is now £699, plus I've just found a voucher code for £70 off :facepalm:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Did you look on their other site Dixons

Yes, but until now it has said Out of Stock, so you couldn't even add it on the Dixons site.

EDIT: What the.... you create an account on Currys, which doesn't work on Dixons? Being 'sisters' surely they share the same database?

Surely, please....?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom