1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Currys

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hodman, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im currently waiting to purchase my first plasma (waiting for a few more Freeview equipped models on the shelves).
    So, like many other enthusiasts here, I use Currys to audition new models (I wouldn't buy from them).

I wonder how many sales Curry's misses because of poor demo facilities and un-knowledgeable staff.

I was browsing in their Leicester's Fosse Park store and the video feed used by most Plasma's on display suffered from a mid-screen interfeerence (remember poorly tracking VHS?).
    It was obviously putting quite a lot of people off.

Is it really that difficult to arrange for a good quality video feed to these panels?

Interestingly, their cheap Techwood model had the best feed of the lot.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Perhaps it's their big margin one? That's how the big stores operate. I used to work for a big retailer, though not in electronics.

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Spot on MAW! They one they want to shift will be have the "best" PQ. Just like car retailers. They will let the tyre pressure down on the car they want to sell so it feels nice and smooth. The one they don't want you to buy will have the tyres blown so high you feel like you're bouncing down the road :nono:

4. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it must be the same in comet ,there lg model was set up correctly but the viera panny was just on an indoor areil in analouge mode,looked terrible.
    i had a play on the remote as i couldnt leave it that way.Also it was hidden at the back where the lg was at the entrance etc.

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You may well be right, but it isn't necessarily the biggest margin one - it's at a price that will get a lot more people to sit up and take note. So you can ship enough boxes to make more money than on a more expensive one with a bigger margin.

The point with the Techwood is that they can retain a reasonable margin and keep the price at the low end of the market. For the other units, they can easily be undersold.