Currys wrote off my 8204 - issuing voucher - new LED model suggestion ~£500-600

arnozzle

Novice Member
Hello Everyone

I had a 55pus8204 and the backlight died while in warranty - Currys is offering me a voucher for the full value I had paid (£474) as there is no spare part available.
Can you guys help me figure out what to get (I can add a bit of money- say 126 extra so total budget is 600)

Although it didn't have the best reviews on here i was not unhappy with the 55pus8204, we like ambilight (hence still keeping it Philips),
I have a shield pro 2019 so mostly used that as a hub,
only thing that was a bit crap on the 55pus8204 was HDR/Dolby vision was very very dark.. (although may have been connected to the dodgy backlight)..

so all in all would like something similar specced feature wise, but ideally with a slightly better/brighter display (nits)

I see on their website the following models in the price range:
  • 58PUS9005 @£599​

• 58PUS7855 @£529​

• 58PUS8555 @£599​

Thanks for your help

markfawcett

I’ve you liked your 55PUS8204 (IPS panel) then I honestly wouldn’t get any of the 58” models, as they are a different screen technology (MVA panel) and seem to be plagued with issues on the Philips this year.

If you can stretch to a 65PUS8505 then that is the direct successor to your TV and also has an IPS panel (albeit 10” bigger).

arnozzle

Novice Member
I’ve you liked your 55PUS8204 (IPS panel) then I honestly wouldn’t get any of the 58” models, as they are a different screen technology (MVA panel) and seem to be plagued with issues on the Philips this year.

If you can stretch to a 65PUS8505 then that is the direct successor to your TV and also has an IPS panel (albeit 10” bigger).
Thanks for your reply
Just to educate myself, are you recommending the IPS models simply because the MVA have issues or regarding other IPS vs MVA differences -eg viewing angle ?
if it helps, how my lounge is setup the max viewing angle when seating is at capacity with 8 guests is probably 60degrees (very rare occasion, esp these days) for our usual seating angle is probably under 20degrees.

Also, in terms of SD content, would 65 inches make SD look like minecraft? At 55 already with either the Phllips own upscaling or Shield AI upscaling SD was not the best.

markfawcett

Thanks for your reply
Just to educate myself, are you recommending the IPS models simply because the MVA have issues or regarding other IPS vs MVA differences -eg viewing angle ?
if it helps, how my lounge is setup the max viewing angle when seating is at capacity with 8 guests is probably 60degrees (very rare occasion, esp these days) for our usual seating angle is probably under 20degrees.

Also, in terms of SD content, would 65 inches make SD look like minecraft? At 55 already with either the Phllips own upscaling or Shield AI upscaling SD was not the best.
60 degrees is far too much of an angle for MVA unless it has a wide viewing angle filter (on the Philips it doesn’t). Even 20 degrees isn’t ideal.

The Philips IPS this year tend to have fewer issues as well - better colours, better motion, better HDR performance. If you were happy enough with the black levels of your 55” 8204 (the only downside of IPS) then I really would stick to an IPS panelled Philips but as with everything else your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom