Currys,whats My Rights

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pat clancy, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    bought a player from currys,played it,didnt like it,took it back,they wont give a refund,because i opened the box,if i exchange it or get a refund they will take 20% of the original price and thats what i get back,any thoughts pat

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not entirely sure what your rights as a consumer are in this case as there is nothing wrong with the player. If it were faulty in some way then you might have a case.

Some shops (such as Argos) have a no quibble 16 day refund. Deducting 20% on exchanges doesn't seem right either.

I think it's worth clarifying with the retailer before purchase on their returns policy, even the big stores. I realise that's no help to you now and might sound a bit patronising!

Have you tried contacting the Citizen's Advice Bureau?

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

You only have rights if the goods are not as advertiesed or faulty in some way. You have no rights to get a refund just because you do not like it, unless of course they told you that you could at the time. Depending on the shop/store/their sales figures for the that month, you may get a refund in full, but that is at the discretion of the shop.

Somewhere like Argos have a 16 day money back guarantee, but goods returned are not resold (or should not be as it is illegal, unless they are clearly marked "Returned") and so tend to end up in bargain basement stores or sold to staff.

So if Curry's took the goods back they can not resell them unless they sell them as second hand, which forces them to offer a discount, PC World do this, mark products as being returned goods and knock 10-20% off, otherwise no one would buy them.

Regards

Philip

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.