• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

currys (uk) Samsung LE40R51BX 40" worth it?

D

dermot360

I am keen on getting an LCD panel and this offer looks ok
Samsung LE40R51BX 40" for 1399 pounds inc vat.
I have seen a bit cheaper on the net but I would like to be able to face a human if it broke down in any way. I also live in Northern Ireland and there is normally a significant delivery charge.
I have looked on this forum and there are mixed reviews on this model.

Simply is it a worthy buy?:lease:

rogeralpine

Standard Member
...depends whether you're keen to possibly make a further £200 saving. The "something's only worth what someone is prepared to pay" seems to be more applicable to LCD's than almost any other product I know. Currently in it's infancy, LCD screens are either loved at one extreme to hated at the other - one person may sing a panel's praises whilst another may slag it off.

Whatever panel you end up with you should be aware that it more than likely won't be up to CRT standards with SD stuff. I'm personally very happy with my set, but my decision to purchase it would more than likely have been revearsed if I had to shell out a further £200.

I'm very pleased so far but that is based upon the fact that it's main use comes from the XBox360 and my HTPC. SD is watched occasionally and yes, it's not good - my analogue feed is sh!te though and my expectations were not high anyway. I've never really liked much SD stuff anyway, on larger sets it's always looked crap to me - could be my feed (although I have seen others) but there has never been enough decent viewing material for me to warrant getting excited about it anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom