1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

currys tried to sell me DAB

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by ad47uk, Sep 16, 2005.

1. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I try hard not to laugh at this.
    My clock radio broke on Monday, so I thought I would get a new one. since I work in the day tiome, the only time I got to get to a store this week is in the evening, so only currys or Comet is open. I won't go to comet, after having an argrument with the manager.

Anyway, all I wanted was a cheap clock radio, that I can listen to when I am in bed and to wake me up in the morning, nothing fancy.
    I told this salesman what I wanted and he pointed me straight to the DAB radios, the cheapest being around £40. I told him I only want a FM/AM thing and he went on to tell me that FM will be closed down soon. I told him I was not a fool and I knew very well that FM will be with us for years and even if not, by the time FM is closed down, then I doubt a £5 clock radio would still be going by then.

Anyway, I got so fed up of him, I told him not to bother and walked out. I took my old radio over to my mates place and found out the fualt which was a faulty dim switch, so that have been bridged and the radio is now working.

It was just amazed that I went and wanted to pay about £5-£8 for a clock radio and he tried to get me to buy DAB, which do nto even have the radio station on I listen to anyway.

No wonder I do most of my shopping on line, I get what I want without being pounced on.

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have asked him why they have them on the shelves if they don't want to sell them.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Currys/Dixons/PC-World are now all on my "barge-pole" list, after a nasty experience in one of their stores this week. I gently patted the manager on the back (once), when he made an ironic statement, and he threatened to have me arrested for assault. Never going back there again !

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to work for the buggers when I was 17... What an experience. It's truly amazing that they stay in business... I guess people are just plain stupid and will keep coming back for more.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    If you had the patience to look for them yourself, they would have made a £5 sale :rolleyes:

Wonder how many casual ppl would be taken in by scare tactic?

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Trying to find anything in our Currys is like looking for a needle in a haystack and when you do find it, most of the time, you can not find the price of it.

I bet a lot of people will be taken in by scare tactics.

Someone went to my parents door last week and told them they needed a new aerial for their T.V, becuase their old aerial will not be able to cope with digital and that it is best to get it done now sooner than later.

My father let him carry on with what he had to say and sounded interested. This bloke wanted to charge £300 for a new aerial and to put it up on the roof with new co-ax.

My father told him to get lost, as the aerial have got is digital compatible anyway, since they have already got digital
    This bloke would not go, so my father called my brother out of the house who is staying there for a while. He moved then.
    then the police was phoned and a discription of this bloke was handed to them
    He have been going around a lot of the estates and trying to get people to part with thie money.

7. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    To be honest this is what I have come to expect when I go into that type of shop, I would have just gone to argos.

8. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I go when I know what I want, I takle little notice of the prat that think they are sales people.

9. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    ... or Tesco. Needed a clock radio for the spare room a few weeks ago. Got it in Tesco for the princely sum of £3.49 :eek:.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Currys/Dixons/PC-World rely on a "customer churn rate" which means that for every disgruntled customer leaving, there's at least 2 more mugs to take their place.

Curry's motto "We are here to help" only applies as far as the checkout. Once they have your money, they couldn't care less. Their staff will take three times as long trying to sell you extended warranties that you don't need, than they will trying to sort out your warranty and delivery problems.

11. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I really dont like, Curies/Dixons/PC World either, they dont know what they are talking about just about all of the time and are only there to sell you warranties.

Comet on the other hand I am quite happy with. Never had any problems with them, and on the rare occasion that I asked for help finding something they either gave me a quick straight we cant help you (no selling me other stuff) or were able to show me quickly.
    I decided to spend an extra £20 on a DAB hifi at £180 from retail comet rather than buy online, and when it turned out there was a problem with the amp on it I took it back after having it for more than 6 months and they gave me a FULL refund without question, was in and out within 10 mins, didnt even try to make me get a different one in replacement.
    Very happy with their service.

12. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Best deal ever was my am/fm clock radio from Argos for the bargainous £1.83 !!! :D

Doesn't even give me random electric shocks like the 20 year old brick it replaced !!! :thumbsup:

13. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    And the most annoying habit ...... (and when they do this I just walk straight out of the door without another word)...

You ask them a question about a product.....

They read it off the FEKKIN LABEL....... :mad: :mad:

I CAN READ YOU KNOW

14. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't touch Conit with a barge pole. They are a complete bunch of *****
    All of these big chains are great.........until you have a problem. Then they just don't want to know.They all make it very easy for you to spend your money, but they make it very hard to get issues resolved.

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Conit...HAHAHA

16. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    so imagine my surprise when i see an advert on t.v showing their staff(comet) supposedly being trained with the knowledge of all things electrical.bloody idiots the lot of them.my local store looks like its closing down the whole time,its just a mess.
    i must admit though,i do get quite a lot of pleasure hassling some 40 year old housewife doing a saturday shift into telling me absolutely everything there is to know about some plasma t.v or better still"how does hdtv work".

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The staff are house-trained, and even that is stretching things with some of them :rolleyes:

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    For the record there are NO plans to turm FM off unlike the TV reception. The government accepts it is different. Therefore DAB is an 'option' not a necessity, an option many of us are still deprived of.

19. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

There is no way that FM could be switched off for years. Too many FM radios are still being sold, too many local stations on FM that will not get onto DAB for a many a years.

As for not getting DAB, you are not missing much.
    I have just got myself a cheapo for work, because it was not in a box and had no insructions, or power supply, I had it dead cheap. The quality is not bad, but compared to FM it is way down. But for what I want it for, it will do me.
    I wanted something in the computer room, so I can listen to Primetime.

But for Hi-fi quality, you are better off with FM.