1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Currys Repair policy

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Deer Hunter, May 2, 2005.

1. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I've got a rear projection tv which needs the screen replacing.The engineer has been out and orded a replacment. What I need to know is where do I stand with my rights it has been over three weeks know with no news on when they will fix it.
    Curry have told me they have 28 days (I presume this excludes weekends) to fix the tv. If they fail to fix it in the time stated they said I would get a straight swap. If they can't do this have I got a right to ask for my money back if they cant replace for the excat same model ? or will I get offered a different make etc ?

Thanks in advance

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    When did you buy the goods as the laws surrounding consumer rights have changed.

Unfortuantly the likes of consumer rights always resolve arround 'reasonable' and as a consumer your view of what is reasonable is almost always going to be different to what the retailer considers reasonable.

Under your rights/contract you are entitled to be put back in the same financial possition you were in prior to the loss this can be done by a repair, replacement or refund. Generally speaking you are not within your rights to demand one or the other method - if however it is deemed that they have breached the contract (ie have not reasonably repaired the item) you have a much stronger case to argue for your choosen method of compensation.

Whilst I wouldnt touch Currys with anyones most big retailers do tend to be fairly reasonable about these things - especially if you start escalating the complaint to (senior) managers

3. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had it 3 months and I reported the fault just after 2 months. The fault was there when I bought it , didn't realise for a while. Or would have rung them sooner.

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I really, really wish you the very best of luck. I personally had a complete and utter horror story using Curry's last October. This was for a product that was only 20 days old. Under their own wording in the guarantee, they say if something is verified faulty by the (oh so wondeful and professional) Mastercare (did you spot any sarcasm there??) then they will replace or give you your money back. I had to fight like hell to get my money back - even threatened them with the small claims court. They are the biggest joke EVER. So please, and this goes for anyone thinking of making a major electrical purchase like a tv - THINK TWICE BEFORE USING CURRY's.

DSG Retail as they are known have a terrible, terrible reputation.

But back to your original post and I sincerely hope you have some luck with them...

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit that my story doesn't seem the norm but Currys' were GREAT with me!! Sony FS76U's kept failing,when they wwere discontinued Curry's upgraded it for free!(to the HQ100) Although the HQ100 had issues too and Sony got involved :rolleyes: The managers in the local stores suck-they must be told not to give two hoots and let head office deal with it. Dig your heals in enough and they will back down-just got to cause them enough hassle :hiya: . ALWAYS make sure you get the persons name who you deal with-they are much more likely to see the problem through that way. My contact was Neil Hardy @ Curry's Sheffield. Very understanding and sorted the problem out!!

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Curry's repair service states that they will aim to repair the faulty within 28days from the date the product was received/looked at, if, in the event they can't fix it in this time you can request to have the product replaced, this is usually in the form of vouchers, but as your set is very new they may just send you a new one.

I have a friend who had a 32" CRT taken away by mastercare(dixons/curry's repair people) for 28 days, on the 29th day they rang him to arrange returning the fixed set, he told them no thanks and quoted the the '28 day ruling' and about a week or so later received vouchers for £1000 to buy a new Tv!!! :clap: so you too could also get a result out of it!

7. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice,
    Id be happy if the swiftly replace for a new set or better still offered me store vouchers / credit so I can choose a new Tv inmy own time instead of getting offered one of there choice..

8. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can any one confirm if the 28 day rule includes SAT/SUN or just midweek ?

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    it does include sat/suns. did you not get a engineer report? yellow paper? should have the terms and conditions on the back of that.

10. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't in myself but he never left a work sheet, I have got the exact date confirmed with currys though.

11. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got vouchers to the amount I paid, I did try to get a refund by way of purchase but not there policy so im told.
    Even though they couldn't supply me with an exact replacement. Would it be worth while writing or phoning to there complaints department ?

12. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    yes there is somewhere where you can write or phone to complain about, but i'm unsure what there is that you have to complain about :confused:

13. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I Paid cash for the Tv and they have failed to fix it then also failed to offer me an exact replacement.They would only let me choose another TV Then after some debate offered me vouchers.

14. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Whats the reason they can't provide you with an exact replacement? is it just out of stock or did you buy an older model which is no longer available?