Currys PCworld Team Knowhow Service....

I never bother with these extended warranties they are a load of old bull! Not worth the paper they are printed on (as you have found out) just buy the product you want best price you can get, and stick a tenner a month under the mattress to cover breakdown`s :)

Next time go to Richer Sounds.

Just done 13 pages of this Team Knowhow thread, Its hard to look at it objectively since its like everything else in life if someone gets bad service or badly treated we vent and rant like nothing.

Still good to see some positive post about know how service and even if it took many 30-45 days+ to get it written off and vouchers given, still not so bad result given the Covid pandemic really.

Most companies I reckon would have just kept repairing and returning the unit.

It would be nice if Currys monitored this website though and pitched in some help at least.

Id like to make a suggestion also, print off your own mini report of diagnostic done (reset, new hdmi cable, latest firmware etc) and include pictures of the issue and how to see the fault of the TV and leave your mobile number as contact. Print it off and attach to the back of TV unit securely. this way the engineer can see it and read it and hopefully understand it.

Next time go to Richer Sounds.

Its looking and sounding like Richer sounds are top of their game right now, id still be interested to know how good Richer sounds repair of TV services are especially in todays time line !

I wonder if they collect, repair and deliver in good timing or not.

They use local repair companies so if need be they can find another locally if the current one lowers their standards.

They use local repair companies so if need be they can find another locally if the current one lowers their standards.

thanks that is interesting, JL do the same with LG 1st year warranty with local repair companies. Some are very hit and miss though with times so its good RS can opt for another repairer.

So could John Lewis but sadly they aren't keep up generally these days.

So could John Lewis but sadly they aren't keep up generally these days.

6 weeks and counting on my faulty CX panel from JL, cant really blame the local repair guys that LG used given the pandemic issues but they told me they cant fix it possibly till march.

Wish I went RS, hopefully next week find out if I can get it exchanged or refunded or progressed further.

Last edited:
TV again with the repair team because of the scratches they have done last time. Neverending story...

Thank you. I really need tips like this one now.
PS: tried to contact them again via chat. They told me to call teamknowhow and they will tell me to wait for a call or that I don't have right for a replacement. So I contacted again an agent via chat and they told me again to call teamknowhow opening this amazing loop I'm in. Eventually the guy gave me a link to open a claim but, guess what? When you send the claim you will get an error page and a message that says there is a glitch!

PPS: I'm waiting now for a reply from Citizens advice.

Last edited:
Thank you. I really need tips like this one now.
PS: tried to contact them again via chat. They told me to call teamknowhow and they will tell me to wait for a call or that I don't have right for a replacement. So I contacted again an agent via chat and they told me again to call teamknowhow opening this amazing loop I'm in. Eventually the guy gave me a link to open a claim but, guess what? When you send the claim you will get an error page and a message that says there is a glitch!

PPS: I'm waiting now for a reply from Citizens advice.

Long winded reply below it may not help its just some info

Wait for CA advice really but imo I don't think they will say much, but I can tell you from experience you are not the first or last that will sadly go round in circles. Staff do sometimes (not just knowhow) tell you what you need to hear over the phone sadly just to get rid of you. Its not right or fair for sure, if you can get someone more senior (manager or team leaders) and try and get them to email you what they said in writing its always better in black and white but not always. Sometimes you can write a letter directly to head office complaints department and it can be handled better also.

Some resort to public outcry on twitter or facebook, sometimes you have to catch the attention of someone decent or someone who can make the right decisions.

Yes Currys should not really be selling plans which promise 7 day repair promise, it should have been updated properly but we are in the middle of the worst world changing event ever also.

Usually if a manufacturer or retailer can't repair the goods within a reasonable amount of time, its a more direct case and cause to write it off or exchange it etc

But reasonable amount of time varies company to company, you may wish to ask knowhow on chat or email and get it in writing ? Or check the TnC leaflet or website.

Either way I think its somewhere around 28 days to 6 weeks (off the top of my head) and it also depends if its in the first year or 2nd year+ from your purchase date. If its in the first year its generally 28 days, 2nd year + it can be 6 weeks (rough times)

Still again you need to double check the above that's just a rough ball mark from my experience and naturally, what they say is not always 100% right during these Covid times.

My point is, if its gone too long with out repair about 30-45 days, then its only fair a company should write it off no one should really wait 7-8 weeks for a repair of a product. I suspect with lock down and covid though this may unofficially bump up more.

Also this site is handy with legalities and has a free resolver tool

Thank you very much. As you said CA just gave me some links to similar cases on which.
About time of repair: my TV came with 5 years of warranty that should already cover repairs.
I'm paying for this extra plan and the 7 days repair promise so, from my point of view (and a contract where there is nothing written about unforeseen circumstances, but also because they are still promoting this plan and they called me after I bought a ps5 promising 7 days repair plan) if they are 1 day late I have right for a replacement.
Now the TV is again under repair because they did damages to the frame and stand so it will be at least 17 days in one month without the TV. Why I'm paying this extra plan If I don't have any extra right?

Thank you very much. As you said CA just gave me some links to similar cases on which.
About time of repair: my TV came with 5 years of warranty that should already cover repairs.
I'm paying for this extra plan and the 7 days repair promise so, from my point of view (and a contract where there is nothing written about unforeseen circumstances, but also because they are still promoting this plan and they called me after I bought a ps5 promising 7 days repair plan) if they are 1 day late I have right for a replacement.
Now the TV is again under repair because they did damages to the frame and stand so it will be at least 17 days in one month without the TV. Why I'm paying this extra plan If I don't have any extra right?

I understand where you are coming from its in black and white after all.

If they are not budging on the 7 days repair or giving a replacement as promised, you may need to go down the legal route via solicitor that works in the field. Sometimes even paying a solicitor to email them they are not following the consumer regulations act or TnCs of their cover plan etc can force them to action it quicker its worked before I hear.

If not then small court claims is an option perhaps the last step.

Quick check around on google they are called Consumer rights solicitors

Obviously this routes a right pitta ! but a solicitor will know the exact legal grounds with cover plans and if those TnC and laws hold during Covid or not, doesn't hurt either to email them and briefly ask if you are in the legal right and if they can help and cost etc

They called me a few minutes ago and they are replacing my tv with a gx6 (!!!) because they can’t fix the damage they made to my tv. They will deliver it next week. I think is a refurbished one.

That don't sound too bad, it's a current model tv. If it's a refurb it depends what warranty they are going to give you though.

They just told me I can continue to pay for the current plan if I want to continue.

kbfern is right - make sure you know what warranty comes with it.
What is the alternative?

I suspect they will give you any unused warranty either of your original tv or of the replacement set.

This is why it's best if possible to get a refund so you can buy a new tv with a fresh warranty. In my case my tv was 4yrs old with 1 yr warranty remaining. They wrote the tv off and gave me £1050 towards a new tv. I chose to add £700 and get a brand new OLED 65" which was an upgrade from my 65" LCD which had cost £1400 when new. The new OLED came with a fresh 5 yr warranty so I was very happy with the outcome.

Ok, now I understand. My TV was 2 years old so in the worst case scenario the new one will have 3 years. On top of that I will continue to pay for the repair plan so it's fine for me.

You have a warranty, why pay for the repair plan when they're not delivering the service you're paying extra for?

Because has been a pain with the extra plan. I can't imagine if I only had the standard warranty.

I wouldn't give them the money.

Then again I wouldn't give them any money as I can't stand them as a company which your awful experience further justifies.
That they're charging you extra just to get decent service off them, which they're not delivering due to COVID (You've had a year to sort out your procedures, that's not washing anymore) which any decent retailer would have provided in the first place pushes that even more.

IMO, you're being scammed monthly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom