• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Currys - Packard Bell psu - best action to take

DES-Lite

Standard Member
Hello, just wanted to check what the best course of action too take would be
Bought a PB x4520 on the 09/12, and whlle i did notice the noise i acyually assumed that it was one of the ext cd drives... but i believe its the PSU whine after shutdown issue thats been reported on this model elsewhere in the forum
So before I take action I need to decide what to do

Given the other users experience of getting several machines with the same issue I'd prefer not to go down that route
Doubt they will replace the psu with a better one (that currys (forestside-belfast) doesnt even have a tech guys - i think) without looking 30 quid for it - wouldnt be happy with that either
Doubt they'll refund too easily as its out of the 28 days or do they increase that at christmas?

The other issue then is that while i've done both windows and pb recovery cds
I have legit copies of AVG 8.5, anydvd hd, tmt 3 on the machine... any measures i need to take before this... paid by credit card... cheers

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Hello, just wanted to check what the best course of action too take would be
Bought a PB x4520 on the 09/12, and whlle i did notice the noise i acyually assumed that it was one of the ext cd drives... but i believe its the PSU whine after shutdown issue thats been reported on this model elsewhere in the forum
So before I take action I need to decide what to do

Given the other users experience of getting several machines with the same issue I'd prefer not to go down that route
Doubt they will replace the psu with a better one (that currys (forestside-belfast) doesnt even have a tech guys - i think) without looking 30 quid for it - wouldnt be happy with that either
Doubt they'll refund too easily as its out of the 28 days or do they increase that at christmas?

The other issue then is that while i've done both windows and pb recovery cds
I have legit copies of AVG 8.5, anydvd hd, tmt 3 on the machine... any measures i need to take before this... paid by credit card... cheers

Not clear what action you're planning to take or what you need advice with. Switch mode power supplies run at high frequencies and when they are running down or on the limits of their specification, can make a high-pitched whine. It's not so much an issue of unreliability but is one of shortfall in design normally brought on by the desire to reduce costs.

You could take it back and say it's making "a funny noise". They'll probably say that's normal: all the PBs do. Not sure where you go from there.

DES-Lite

Standard Member
Hi Spyder, looking at this from a Consumer rights issue and making sure i do anything i need to do program backup wise before i go there

http://www.avforums.com/forums/desktops/1166781-packard-bell-squealing-noise-psu.html

1 currys dont offer this pc anymore... had a look at the website... not much else makes me think trade up too that so getting a replacement as the others above have
2 the whine doesnt go away after shutdown... at all.... you have to turn the power off at the plug then the whine changes pitch and stops shortly after
3 Ive still got the slysoft codes on my desktop and purchased the arcsoft extended re-install option so do i just move the apps folders over too a ext hdd?

thestepster

if you cant take it back and dont want to trade it for an upgrade i would suggest tryin to buy a good brand power supply, if the psu is ATX there is a lot to choose from im not sure about other psu forms but you should be able to get one out there try the classifieds on here and say ur one is makin a whine and you would like a compatible branded psu

Computer Classified Adverts - AVForums.com

but b4 you do anything be sure to read the trading rules

AVForums.com Trading Rules

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom