Currys...oh dear!

Hi

Just to give my two penneth.....

Without giving the whole EICTA guidelines.....

Just remember that essentially it boils down that to be classified as HDTV, a set must be capable of displaying a 720p image without downscaling via analogue and digital connections (these must be HDCP compliant)

I don't think it's fair to claim that this was done to allow manufacturers of plasma to squeeze under the wire, It's actually a good common sense compromise, what would be the point of demanding higher spec's at the moment when there is such a paulcity of content and screens at higher resolutions?

The only bit of alteration to the guidelines was done specifically for philips (a bit dodgy IMHO) which allowed their TV's to use an adaptor so that they could accept analogue and digital, over the same connector.

Good work though chaps, we have to keep pointing these things out, the whole issue is confusing enough for the average punter as it is.

....I've been shouted out of LOTS of tech orientated shops...... :cool:

The specs only need you to display 720 lines of resolution. a 1024x720 plasma (the panny PV500 for example) would downsample a 1280x720 image horizontally, but it would still be HD ready.

my pedantic nature got the better of me, sorry :)

Well done , axegrinder. I would have probably done the same and save the poor consumer from making an expensive mistake.

spidermaxx said:
You are aware that even HDCP material will go through component, as it is not a digital cable :)

You can also buy HDCP adapters, for about £99 (been mentioned in these forums before)

Uhm not really. HDCP signal will not go through component, unless you hack your way through the protection or use such boxes. In the end the boxes are there to overcome the TVs shortcomings. So the TV is not HD-Ready - that's why you use the boxes.
It's still not clear but we do know that HD signals with HDCP applied will only go through DVI(with HDCP) and HDMI (which has HDCP included). Using component or VGA or even DVI (without HDCP) will either give you NO signal, or the image will be a 480i/p.
HDCP is there so you don't copy HD material at full resolution, that's why it's there.

Personally i think it's a crap system, cause it will be hacked anyway, but that's the theory. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom