1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curry's "Manager Specials" CRT TV's: Would anyone buy one of these?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Paul Cooksley, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I never, ever would buy any major electrical product from Curry's (or DSG Retail full stop) due to their appalling after service and lack of customer care.
    (I had severe problems 2 x 32" CRT Panasonics that they sold me which were both faulty with purity issues and the fight I had to get my money back off them was the worst experience I have ever had with a company - and the tv sets concerned were classified as offically faulty by the dreaded MasterCare within their 28 day exchange/refund guarantee period)

However, as I bored during my lunch hour, I decided to visit my local showroom just to browse around. I could not beleive what I saw....

Rows upon rows of 32" CRT various make widescreen tv's all marked as manager specials. They were also marked with big yellow stickers pronoucing that these sets were "without instructions, no remote, previously owned" and "damaged". For this, Curry's were knocking 20% off the current retail price.

You may think fair enough - and although I would not ever consider touching one of these, I would expect a slight discount for the disclaimers stuck on them... However - one set (an LG make) looked like it had come out of someone's garage and been thrown about and buried under a mountain of dirt. It had severe scratches along the top of the plastic case (and I mean severe).. It also had grease and remains of stickers and sticky tape all over it. It honestly looked like something you might pay a tenner for at a bootsale - it was honestly that bad.

Another set next to it actually had a crack in the glass screen!!! Yes, a crack - I even ran my finger along it to check my eyes were not deceiving me!!

Now, I fully realise that Currys are proclaiming the fact that these items are "damaged" but - my question to others is: Would you or do you know anyone else that would even contemplate buying something like this for a measly 20% off the price?????? I cannot ever see them selling items like this and personally I just laughed at the disgraceful display of these "managers specials" all lined up, with their stickers saying "Damaged, pre owned, no instructions, no remote" !!!!

Currys!!!! No wonder they have the reputation they have !!!!

2. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cracked Screen???

That sounds downright dangerous to me!!!

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, honestly - a cracked screen. Ok a small crack (about 2 inches long) but it was there all the same! As I said, I even ran my finger along it, as I could not believe they could ever sell a set with a crack in the glass (even if it is marked as "damaged" with 20% off!!!!!)

4. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This beggars belief! Stagggering!

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Isn't it???

Glad someone else thinks like me !!

I couldn't believe it.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Wouldnt it be ironic if currys meant shoddy or incompetent in another language.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I thought that is what it meant in english spocktra?

8. shizam

shizam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in my local store. Had a 36" PD30, no stand, no remote and no instructions. Managers special £1400. Also a Philips 32" 9618. It had obviously been dropped. The casing had cracked above the screen where the buttons are and had a whole so big you could stick your finger in it. The offer was £200 off original price. They both sound very tempting. Just trying to decide which to go for hahahaha.

9. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Well, more often than not, after sampling curry's you do tend to break out into a sweat. Curry's also makes your stomach turn, a feeling whether you should have actually ordered one in the first place, and a painful experience while you try and get rid of it in the morning. :)

But you always go back for another one...

10. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having had two very bad experiences with purchases at currys in the early 1990's i havent used them since. Good to see some things never change.
    :rolleyes:

11. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are still better than Comet, jesus I hate those guys.

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well,i purchased my FS76U from Curry's online. The first one had a faulty tube,the replacement for that had bad screen purity and the replacemnet for that was fine for three months until it died. Curry's replaced it for an HQ100 FREE of charge. To cut a long story short Mastercare came out to do the recall on it and managed to break the on/off switch and have a screw left over!! Sony are now dealing with this and i'm expecting my NINTH TV in 12 months soon!!!!

13. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I'm not ure if I want to be qouted on this, but I have been lead to believe that if a set was damaged, faulty or otherwise inferior to its "operational" condition upon leaving a maufacturer, then a retailer was not permitted to sell these.

I mention this as I was once a salesman selling TVs and "exotic" hifi bout 15 years ago.

Sounds criminal to me! I've seen Curry's selling video recorders and DVD players without the Remote, making the machine non-operational. Have even seen them selling individual remotes and manuals. CRIMINAL!!!!!

14. Kiwi Col

Kiwi Col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kinda shows you how the backroom boys treat the sets..... I know sets get cosmetic damage in the store, but cracked screens & casings etc...

I just bought a set from Currys after vowing several years ago never to use them after a raging battle for a refund on faulty goods. Short term memory loss.... :eek: . I'd say most of the staff at Curry's are "special", not just the manager! :rotfl:

Col.

15. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let's face it most high street retailers are all exactly the damn shame, shockingly poor in both knowledge and customer care.

16. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    most of them in curry,s don't have a clue :confused: about the goods they sell they know more about the extended guarantee though :smashin:

17. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I hope that most people reading this thread will think twice about buying in Currys (or indeed Dixons Store Group chain in general - (this includes The Link, Dixons and PC World as well as the wonderful Curry's)...

Whilst their showrooms (on some occassions!) may look attractive with their "low prices" (which are not that low at all when you compare elsewhere) if you ever buy a major appliance, say like a television, you are in for big trouble should a fault develop.

I purchased a Panasonic (model number TX32PS500) which came with 5.1 speakers. Looked nice and I thought Panasonic would be a top make, so I bought it - from Curry's - two mistakes in one. Firstly the Pansonic was immediately faulty with dirty screen issues (and I mean very bad dirty screen issues) - also purity issues - the top right hand corner was green most of the time. So, within two days called the dreaded Mastercare (everyone make the crucifix sign and back away!!) who diagnosed a faulty set after deguassing it didn't work, so waited for a new replacement set to arrive.

Sure enough, true to their reputation, they never showed up when promised with the new set (I had taken a day off work especially) - so re-arranged it again. This time they showed up - but with another faulty set - exactly the same as the first one, but worse!!

Enoughs enough, so called up Curry's and demanded my money back - which, if faulty (and Mastercare diagnosed a second fault) within 28 days - according to Curry's literature - you can replace OR have your money back. I went for the money back option - but my goodness - what a fight. They kept me waiting in store when I went to sort it out for 4 HOURS - whilst they couldn't work their new till - then they lost my receipt details - then they had to keep hold of my receipt so I left the store and then got a phone call when I got home demanding I go back as their till was now working (I had stood there for 4 HOURS - and this is no exaggeration -honestly) So I went back -to the store, several miles away- only to find out that again, they had messed up the refund and it wasn't working, so they kept my receipt and promised to send it on to me, and refund the money back on my credit card.

To cut a long story short, despite 13 phone calls to the store manager to send back my details after this and my money back, Mastercare failing to come and collect the faulty set when promised (surprise surprise eh?) coupled with the fact then when they posted the receipt documents and confirmation of the refund they didn't put a stamp on the envelope so I had to pay £1.20 for the priveledge of getting my own documents (receipt details/refund) back, I would never ever ever use Currys again - and would strongly warn others about their shoddy customer service.

Oh - as a postscript to this - after I got my refund and Mastercare actually turned up to collect their faulty set, I am still, to this day, receiving regular calls from the mastercare depot trying to arrange collection of the faulty set, despite the fact it was collected last November!!!! I tell them every time to leave me alone and don't phone again - but they still do it !

Curry's - no worries they used to say !!!!!!

HUH !!!!!!!!!!! No wonder they changed that tag line !!!!

18. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,071
    Unfortunately the same could be said about the people buying from places like Currys, Comet etc. Apart from people who are interested in AV etc or know something on the subject, Joe public is quite happy to go into Currys and buy a nice looking TV with interest free credit and be told it must be regassed after 3 years.

19. jamiesneddon

jamiesneddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed!

20. gothicform

gothicform

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    selling a set with a cracked glass screen breaches health and safety rules and risks harm to whoever buys it, imagine the customer getting the set, moving it and then the screen splitting. having one even in the shop does as a customer could cut themslves on it, i'd report them to the local hse for this.