Currys Extended Guarantee annual fob-off offer

carlbcfc

Standard Member
Hello everyone. I tend to waffle, so I'll try to be brief ;-).

I purchased a TV from Currys (during Euro 2016 as it happens), so coign up top 5 years.

I took out the extended guarantee.

It has been in 3 times now, one they actually broke it in transit so it shows a 4th repair apparently.

It's now written off.

Purchase price was £1650.

They have offered £950 the jokers!!

Specs are:

65" Panasonic TX-65DX750B 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED HDR TV​

• Brand : Panasonic
  • Screen Size : 65"
  • Picture
  • Television Type : LED
  • 1800Hz Refresh Rate
  • HDR TV
  • Pixel Resolution : 3840 x 2160 4K Ultra HD
  • Full HD 1080p : Yes
  • 3D TV Ready
  • Smart
  • Netflix 4K
  • Screen Mirroring
  • Facebook/Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Catch Up TV
  • BBC iPlayer/YouTube
  • Smart TV
  • Quad Core Processor
  • BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Channel 4 + 5 On Demand
  • Connectivity
  • Wi-Fi Ready
  • USB Port
  • 4 HDMI
  • Component Video Connection : 1
  • HDMI Connection : 4
  • USB Port : 3 x USB Inputs
  • Tuner
  • Freeview HD
  • Sound System
  • Virtual Surround
  • 20W V Audio
  • Audio Power Output (RMS) : 20 Watts
  • Other
  • DivX / MPEG4
  • Optical Digital Audio Output
  • Electronic Programme Guide
  • Wall Mountable
  • Auto Set Up
  • Super Clear Panel

I've been reading around and gained some good knowledge here regarding Currys lowballing you when it comes to writing off my TV.

One of the bargaining tools I have picked up here is finding a spec that my TV has, that you cant find like for like today. I figure 3D tech is the one you cant find today.

Any other advice to increase the evoucher value offered?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
What are the terms of your policy?

If it's to replace the TV with one of equivalent specification then I'm not sure they are low balling you, it seems a pretty reasonable offer.

65" models have come down in price substantially in the last couple of years thanks to larger production lines making them an efficient size to cut, and technology has moved on a bit too.

£950 will get you the likes of a 65" Sony XH90, which you'll be hard pressed to argue is inferior to a DX750.

Is there something specific the DX750 has which you want and is only available on more expensive TVs? Where are you unhappy with the way the offerings of that price stack up against your current TV?

mikeysthoughts

@EndlessWaves has provided an excellent response.

The only thing I'll add is that £700 depreciation on a 5-year old "obsolete" TV isn't bad at all. You certainly wouldn't get that if you were to sell it in the Classifieds. For a couple of hundred more you can get the XH95 which is a far superior TV to your outgoing model. The XH90 is also an excellent TV and a step up from your outgoing model.

pastrybloke19

Seems reasonable offer, but try to get a bit more out of them and top it up so a XH9505 or Q90T is on your shortlist.

Always worth checking the guides on tv advice though (viewing angles, distance, etc).

carlbcfc

Standard Member
What are the terms of your policy?

If it's to replace the TV with one of equivalent specification then I'm not sure they are low balling you, it seems a pretty reasonable offer.

65" models have come down in price substantially in the last couple of years thanks to larger production lines making them an efficient size to cut, and technology has moved on a bit too.

£950 will get you the likes of a 65" Sony XH90, which you'll be hard pressed to argue is inferior to a DX750.

Is there something specific the DX750 has which you want and is only available on more expensive TVs? Where are you unhappy with the way the offerings of that price stack up against your current TV?
I really am not sure of the policy wording.

Regarding specifics. My TV is/was a 3D TV. Currys no longer stock 3D tv's. So they cannot provide me 'like for like', and any product at that value will be inferior in that respect.

Thank you for the recommendations. I do like Sony & Samsung. I have an old 50 plasma Samsung in the bedroom which I have had for 16 years, and moved house 4 times, and other than a dodgy optical connection, has been great value.

@EndlessWaves has provided an excellent response.

The only thing I'll add is that £700 depreciation on a 5-year old "obsolete" TV isn't bad at all. You certainly wouldn't get that if you were to sell it in the Classifieds. For a couple of hundred more you can get the XH95 which is a far superior TV to your outgoing model. The XH90 is also an excellent TV and a step up from your outgoing model.

I understand that, but I'm sure we all try to extract maximum value out of our insurance products. Thank you for the recommendations.

Thank you. Yes, you've got to try to maximise the outcome.

stblob

No manufacturer makes a 3D TV anymore. That technology died a few years ago. You must of got one of the last few back then.

stblob

Do you think I can use that as a bargaining chip to raise the offer?
You could try but can't imagine you'll get far. I think you've had a good offer and can easily get a replacement with a new 5 year warranty.
Good luck.

carlbcfc

Standard Member
So if you guys were in my position trying to maximise the offer. What would be your bargaining points? I’ve noticed a lot of that price range have 3 x HDMI. I had 4, with 2 2.2 HDCP

carlbcfc

Standard Member
So Currys are using the below as the equivalent to my 65" Panasonic TX-65DX750B 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED HDR TV

LG 65NANO916NA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Any advice?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Same panel type?
I’d push for a Sony xh model, paying the extra

carlbcfc

Standard Member
Same panel type?
I’d push for a Sony xh model, paying the extra

Would it be a similar spec to my old one? Can I reasonably argue it is of a similar spec?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Better, so likely not

vickster

Distinguished Member
You can only ask, but by your argument you should just accept the LG.
Was the Panasonic VA or IPS?
How many nits?
Anti glare coating etc?

vickster

Distinguished Member
You’ll need to know if you’re arguing for something else. Price isn’t a fair comparison as it fluctuates, currently low on 2020 models.
What month did you buy yours? At RRP or reduced?
As others have said, the £950 offer is fair given depreciation

carlbcfc

Standard Member
£950 seems a very fair offer for a 5 year old TV, I’d have snapped their hand off. Take the cash, and buy the superior 65DX902 from the classifieds (not my listing) and pocket the difference.

Here > 65DX902
If it was cash I wouldn’t be so bothered, it is an E voucher, So choice is limited

vickster

Distinguished Member
300 nits is v low for HDR, the Sony is over 1000 I think
LG is usually IPS (indeed the guide suggests so) so could use that as a reason to ask for something else. Look at the guide for TVs with narrow viewing angles for VA (eg Sony XH9005, good motion, 750nits)

Edit looks like the Sony is OOS (9296 is same as 9005)

Last edited:

carlbcfc

Standard Member
300 nits is v low for HDR, the Sony is over 1000 I think
LG is usually IPS so could use that as a reason to ask for something else. Look at the guide for TVs with narrow viewing angles for VA
Would you recommend VA over IPS then? The Sony is VA I think I saw.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Do you watch head on? I thought you wanted like for like and panel type is a key decider for TV choice. VA has better blacks.
Can you go to Currys and have a look to at least get an idea?

carlbcfc

Standard Member
Do you watch head on? I thought you wanted like for like and panel type is a key decider for TV choice. VA has better blacks.
Can you go to Currys and have a look to at least get an idea?

It's on a telescopic tilt & swivel arm so we can manoeuvre it depending on who's watching. Me & the mrs alone is square on. A movie with the kids we're all at angles.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios
  • By Promoted Content Poster
  • Published
Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022