Currys C6 OLED problem

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Johnny1980, Jan 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi

18 month ago i bought a 55C6 oled from Currys. Over xmas it developed a black line of pixels down the screen. Currys have taken it away. They called today and said it needs a new screen. It won’t be the 3D screen that the C6 came with because they are saying LG don’t make them anymore.

I’m not happy with this. That’s no longer the tv I purchased. Where do i stand on asking for a refund or a C8? This tv has be wonderful and I’m gutted. I’m scared to try a C8 after all the problems im reading on here with banding and lipsync issues.

Any advice would be great.

2. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +876

I believe they have to offer you full refund, I'm sure it's in the terms ?

3. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    Complaining about losing 3D doesn't really make a case for a C8, as that won't have it either ? But if you can get one out of them I'd say you are doing well!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about problems, OLED ownership has increased, LG have a huge market share and I'd guess the C series is the most popular model. People complained about the C6s too a few years ago. Just keep in mind that some people here have returned in excess of 10 TVs (of all brands) because they weren't happy.

4. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    How much did you pay? If you paid a lot and you are disappointed by losing 3D, then I do think you should have the option to get a full refund. This could be worth pushing for if your refund might cover the cost of a 2019 model in the coming months.

I'd be gutted too in your position, you basically have the last and best 3D TV on the market. Do Currys do repairs or are they going through LG? I just wonder if LG might have old panels available for warranty purposes, makes me wonder if they have checked with LG? Could be worth asking at least.

Odds are however that you are sh*t out of luck. Given it's not possible for them to provide a like for like replacement due to 3D, I think this puts you in a strong position to push for a full refund.

What the best option is comes down to how much you originally paid.

5. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I paid £1700 for it. I spoke to LG before currys. They said the screen would cost £1200 to replace. They didn’t say if the screen had the 3D filter on it though. Currys asked me to call LG and ask because they can’t get one with it on. So if the one LG is just a standard screen now, I’ll ask for a refund.

Thanks for the reply guys.

6. c__w

c__w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm doubtful they will just pluck a 55" OLED screen and bend it to fit. If there are no C6 screens available, the TV will likely get written off.

7. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    No they have the curved screen. It just hasn’t got the 3D layer on the screen. Well that’s what they said anyway.

8. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    Hmm, if you like the 3D and can't get the issue resolved without losing that feature, then if it was me I would insist on a full refund. Just make it clear that the 3D was a big part of why you purchased in the first place.

You may as well get a refund and just look at 2018 models as I think the 55" range goes for about what you paid anyway. Obviously you won't get 3D, but I suppose it makes sense to go for a newer model with a fresh warranty.

It sounds odd to me that they're telling you they have the 2016 curved panel, but it's not 3D. This is talking to LG directly? Might be worth seeing if you can escalate it further. Make it clear you would prefer a repair where you do not lose the 3D functionality, if that's not possible then you want your money back.

9. sammiesung

sammiesung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I’d be very surprised if they stumped up the full amount for a refund. As previously mentioned if the screen you require cannot be sourced then in theory you’re not happy with the replacement panel they’ll write it off. Under your warranty you’ll be given a choice of an alternative in relation to the TVs depreciated value or a refund to the amount of the depreciated value.

I’m not sure how Currys is calculated but an example maybe the original cost was £1,700. During the 18 months of ownership its depreciated in value by £600. The offered refund would be £1,100. In this scenario you could well be offered an alternative tv such the B8 as the pricing is similar.

If there is opportunity to get a full refund then go for it, but like I said I imagine this will be highly unlikely. Good luck anyway!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. c__w

c__w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Depreciation shouldn't come in to it. If it can't be repaired, the "refund" should be an amount that will get you an equivalent TV - so that is the C8 IMO.

11. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    I do agree that depreciation should not come into it, the reason being he is not really refusing a repair, in fact he is open to it.

It's not the customer's fault that the retailer/manufacturer is unable to provide a suitable replacement. If LG make a shock announcement at CES that they have brought back 3D on 2019 models, then naturally he should be offered that if they can't fix the problem. Admittedly that is unlikely to happen but I am just stressing the point that he should get either a repair or a like-for-like replacement without any loss of functionality.

He may be satisfied with an offer of a C8 anyway, as I am sure most people would do, but I just think as it's missing a feature (3D) that he technically purchased the TV for - I believe this is good grounds for receiving a full refund.

12. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Some really good points here. I’ll let you know how i get on. If they had the 3D screen I’d be over the moon. I want to keep my C6 but without the 3D that’s not the tv I purchased. I’d have been as well getting a B6 at the time if that was the case.

13. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    The one point I find confusing in your case, is that they are offering you a curved 2016 panel, but say you will lose 3D functionality.

I don't understand how 3D screens are assembled, but if a 3D filter is missing off the new panel but is present on your old panel... Again I don't really know what that means but if it's simply just a 3D sheet or something in front of the panel, it makes you wonder if the engineer could salvage this piece from your old panel. I'm just clutching at straws for you here, but if it doesn't pan out at least you can show them you have enquired and thought to explore options to get a working 3D TV.

14. sammiesung

sammiesung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    That is the is the ideal scenario, agreed. But unfortunately that is not how a warranty works. Tech moves on at such a fast pace that features will come and go. The offered equivalent from Curry’s will more than likely be as close as possible spec to the original. I.e. curved, no. Of HDMI ports and other features supported. As 3D is no longer a feature on new sets and curved is becoming less common, the tv offered will not match but will be an equivalent to the depreciated cost.

You would think that LG would stock parts for at least 5-6 years but this is not always the case and in some instances the part that does need replacing costs more than a new tv. Hence the reason for writing it off. As would be the case with a car for example.

As previously mentioned if the OP thinks there’s a chance to get a full refund then go for it.

15. c__w

c__w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm kind of saying the same thing, the fly in the ointment is the lack of 3D in current TVs so that won't have much bearing on the replacement offered. But it should be an equivalent. My only arguement for the C8 instead of the B8 is that in 2018 there is a marked difference in spec, where the previous years LG have said the internal specs are the same so the C6 was the same as the higher end models (E/G etc). Essentially on a warranty claim you shouldn't be left in a worse position, it's just if the B8 is considered less of a model than a C6. The 3D is just going to have to be set aside unfortunately.

The car analogy doesn't really work the same, as a cars have a known market value which factors in the repair viability. With TVs there is no market value on used TVs, it's more like the lack of spare parts will write the TV off as unrepairable and a new TV offered. If you write a 5yr old car off you don't get a new car! you get a figure to go out and buy another 5yr old car.

I personally don't think a full refund will be offered, but a figure that will buy a new equivalent TV. But more than like Currys will offer a replacement TV to retain the money, otherwise OP could take the refund elsewhere.

--
    IMO, they wouldn't entertain fitting a screen not meant for the TV. It would have to be the exact same part.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  16. css978

css978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm in exactly the same boat with a OLED65E6V. Paid over 4k for it in 2016 and knowhow now said they can replace the screen but it will no longer be 3D. But mentioned something about vouchers if we were not happy with it. I'm going to push for a full refund.

17. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I'm just waiting to hear back from the guy at LG that is trying to source a C6 screen with the 3D on it. I don't think they will give us a full refund. You paid over £4k? The 65E8 is £2800 at currys so they might offer you that or £2800 in vouchers.

I've read a few more places on this with Currys. They offer you like for like. Well they can't give us 3D and in my case a curved 3D screen. So i'm guessing they will say the B8 is more like for like in my case. So £1200. If that's the case i'll take £1200 in Vouchers and wait until the 2019 models. I'll just have to put the rest to it. I'll try to get a better deal though. You don't get anything without a little fight eh? lol

18. css978

css978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Their customer service has been really poor so far. Store manager told us to just get a 3D blu ray player and accept the TV back and difnt seem to understand why we were unhappy. Over the phone they told my wife that we had no other option other than to accept the TV back. They then said we can see what we can raise for vouchers. Finally today they have passed on to their head office to deal with. So will watch this space.

19. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    And that's why you don't buy from Currys :)

This is what they should have done:

• Offered you the repair, but explained it wouldn't be 3D capable
    • If you said you wanted 3D, they should have given you the refund
    I wouldn't, in their position, have offered a C8, as if you're willing to accept a C8, you're happy with a non 3D repair. But if you want 3D, you should be given a refund as they can't provide you with a product that meets the specs as per your original contract.

Edit: should be a full refund as well, as they're breaking contract, not you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Interesting about the "should be a full refund as well, as they're breaking contract, not you." bit. I'll see what they say.

I bought the C6 from Currys because it was exclusive to their stores. I never normally buy from them. I buy from John Lewis but i've never had to claim on a warranty from them, so no idea how they handle something like this.

21. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Can you confirm if you still see the 3D options in the menu, and if you do play a 3D film, you see it in sort of 3D but blurred and doubled vision. My C6 just came back from Currys repair with new screen fitted, but no word about it being non 3D, but checking out several films via 3D Blu-ray or via usb mkv files, I get really poor image quality, images don’t blend into one. Possibly I thought a calibration error, but might just be a curved non 3D screen. Under the tv sits a cabinet with 112 3D BDRs specifically collected to watch on this set. Was hoping I’d be getting my 3D set back, it’s the same Set serial number with a new screen, but no word at all about possibly not having required 3D function. Is there a way to tell if screen is 3D filter capable?
    Cheers

22. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I don’t have the tv back. It sounds like they have fitted a none 3D screen to your tv. Give them a call and ask. LG haven’t got back to me about the 3D filter. I’ll be pushing for a refund with currys.

23. css978

css978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We have had a full cash refund now so cannot complain.

24. oscaros11

oscaros11
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you took Repair and support, as it is known now, or a care product on the tv, it is like for like so, as 3D is no longer available, you should be given a refund of the purchase price.

25. Johnny1980

Johnny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Oh result. Let’s hope i get the same. Will be on sorting it tomorrow.

26. css978

css978
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They kept 'escalating' the case and offering vouchers which had to be used in Currys and all at once. Argued that I would be spending vouchers on things I do not need. Until finally had a call offering a refund.

27. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    My TV has gone back again today, so will see how it goes.
    Will hopefully manage to get a 3D screen sorted, as that's what I really want.
    If not, will push for a credit and just get another OLED, have 3D on projector, but it's really no where near as good, images in 3D on the OLED just look stunning.
    Have a very large 3D bluray collection, based mainly on this TVs performance.
    So far, have to admit that they've been pretty good, and seem to be trying pretty hard to get it sorted, there's no mention on their system that the screen wasn't 3D or couldn't be.
    Fingers Crossed

28. kevny

kevny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I had the same problem with my 65 inch c6.
    They could replace the screen but would not be 3D ,so they wrote it off and gave me a write off credit voucher for full amount.
    So now getting either 77c8 or 77 c9.

29. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    No luck with 3D screen
    Apparently LG show as having spare screens, but system doesn’t allow orders.
    TV written off, offered a new 2D screen + money as good will, or credit for new TV( but not purchase price) that soon got changed to full refund, now need to decide on replacement. Possibly Panasonic OLED or Samsung QLED, it’s not the main TV, otherwise would have been OLED without doubt.
    Damn shame though, looks like 3D is back to projector as and when, but nowhere near as good :(

30. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    Well done on the outcome.

As you said it's not your main TV then if you are happy to wait, you might consider a 2019 model?

Panasonic 2019 range has both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, or LG C9 and above is confirmed to have full HDMI 2.1. These could be of interest.