1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curry's and Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by vigalent, Apr 17, 2005.

1. vigalent

vigalent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some info that everyone may benefit from.

Don't be fooled by staff at Currys store who have been miss informed or improperly trained in selling their 'Whatever Happens' extended warrantee and stating that 'Bulbs are Covered' by it.

After reading the actual text of the policy before signing it, Section 9 clearly states 'Items NOT Covered - RPTV Bulbs and/or bulbs in projectors'. After speaking directly to Mastercare who informed that bulbs for DLP TVs are NOT covered (and never would be).

Any Currys staff that are stating as much are incorrectly selling the product. The store I was in had 3 staff members who all said the 'bulbs were covered' one of which is now subsequently returning his RPTV and policy.

Just thought that everyone here should be aware in case anyone has taken out one of these and thinks (or has been told) their bulb is covered.

Regards

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Everyone seems so concerned about the bulb life and these sets arent evan a year old yet. I cant understand what al the fuss is. In 3-5 years time your bulb will need replacing, depending on the amount of viewing it may last evan longer, worry about it when it happens.

3. vigalent

vigalent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Razor

I was mearly pointing out that some staff at Curry's are miss selling the Whatever Happens warantee policy by saying it covers bulb replacement when it clearly doesn't.

I posted this so that anyone who has been miss sold the policy on this fact has a chance to cancel if they wish during their 45 day cancellation period without any further charges.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Oh I see fair comment. :smashin:

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Well done Lion, have you ordered a spare on/off switch as well ;)

Ive gone retro and have a few candles on standby, their also scented for added viewing pleasure. :D

6. j4tts

j4tts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purshased the tosh 46. I have no probs at all. my question is about extended warrantly. Is it worth spending £300 for 5 years warranty? Would not my contents insurance with Accidental Damage be sufficient? Whats the main difference between contents insurance and extended warranties? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J4tts

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Contents insurance covers you from accidental damage and the warrenty covers you form faults occuring. Warranties are a personal choice. I would personally accidently spill a glass of water on the set if it developed and expensive fault and claim it form my contents insurance. :)

8. j4tts

j4tts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So from what you are saying extended warranties are a waste of time and money then?

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Its all down to personal choice, Youve got to calculate that if it goes wrong will it cost more than £300 to fix, will it go wrong many times if at all. I have a 5 year old rear pro and I was going to get the extended warranty for around £300 and never did. I am glad I didnt but it could of easly gone the other way. The gamble is yours to take.

Did you know that curry, comets etc make more money out of these extended warranties than they do from selling the actual goods.

I bought a iron last year for £40 and they wanted £37 to extend the warranty, I just laughed at them and said I would rather throw it away and buy one new again than get it fixed.

10. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    why not from comet or dixons?

11. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    what do u class as being robbed? i would like to know

just like to say 5 years ago on sept 17th 1999 i bought a toshiba rear pro from courts, its was the dogs do da at that time, cost me £2300. 40 inch. i bought 5 year cover for included as i wanted discount. well guess what sept 2004, 4 years and 358 days into the 5 years warranty (1 week left i think) my 7 year old nephew and 3 yeard old niece rammed a table into it. Guess what. it stopped working. i thought my warranty had run out, but i called them and they said i had 1 week left, so they called a repair guy, he took my tv away, 2 weeks later they returned tv said they couldnt fix it, and what do u know, they sent me £2300 in comet vouchers. I waited until april 2005 and got a samsung 50". I would say it is DEFINATELY worth gettin warranty. just make sure it has accidental damage as well.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Most people have household insurance, my 42" is covered against everything except damage by pets. As for extended warrenty, get a Nationwide credit card, one extra years warrenty free on any electrical goods you buy with it. (and yes, it does cover plasma and RPTV)

So paying twice for something you probs already have, is pretty close to being robbed.

13. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    It is well known that Extended Guarantees from high street stores are more expensive that going to a company like D & G. A lot of the high street stores are probably selling you a D & G policy, just with a little bit on top for them.

14. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    you will find that with d and g, they will not pay out the amount you paid for the tv after a number of years. with warranties from comet they will

15. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a quote from D&G, and i could not believe how much i am being ripped off from currys for my Whatever Happens warranty, D&G wanted £11.88 a month for ten payments and Currys £12.99, thats a whole £37.08 a year that i am being ripped off ( i dont think so ) and the currys one is better cover.

I know this is not represenative of all extended warrantys, but is surely proof enough not to tar all of the major high street stores with the same brush, IMO

16. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    i paid 420 for my samsung dlp for 5 years, just had a quote from d and g, they charge 183.86 for 2 years. i leave the rest to you guys. im happy i got my warranty from comet. peace of mind

17. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    And we're happy we didn't :D

18. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about you guys, but £13 a month for a warranty sounds very expensive to me? Its almost as much as a contents policy.

To anyone with a Barclaycard, I think they have changed their warranty policy to an extra 2 years warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty, provided the item costs over £150. So thats 3 years warranty in total for no cost whatsoever. With that in mind I cant justify spending upto £500 on a 5 year extended warranty, especially with contents insurance to fall back on.

19. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody with a LG DLP, leave now and go get a warranty. Oh and order to some on/off switches!!!!!! :rotfl:

20. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plus my 3 lion there's what Six!! Did you check out the aussie forum!! i don't want to flog a dead horse (LG probelms) but when you've had my probs, you cant blame me for been a little sceptical about this S**t TV.

21. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after spending 2 or 3 thousand pounds on a domestic product i would reasonably expect, as a matter of course, that it would last a number of years without breaking down.if it did break down i wouldn't worry one bit about the warranty and as far as i am concerned extended warranties are a waste of money.if you have a problem take it to court and a judge would look at it the same way.the company that sells the warranty is the winner.ask yourself 2 simple questions.why do they sell them?are they for your benefit? if they were for your benefit they would be out of business.

22. j4tts

j4tts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I thought Barclaycard had stopped free extended warranties. Do you not have to pay a monthly premium of £6 for their Everyday Cover. :confused:

23. Jonathan James

Jonathan James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it in writing from Barclay Card that my LG DLP was excluded from their extended warranty no if's not buts, end of story. Sorry but we will have to look else where for peace of mind.

JJ

24. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if u ring domestic and general a 1 yr policy is £50 to insure a £2000 tv

i am thinking about it

if u read most credit card ext warranty lcd laptops and rear proj tvs are not covered