Currys, an induction hob and my wife's dicky ticker.

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
As some of you know my wife is having a defibrillator this coming Monday. In a previous pre op session last week some of the potential hazards were pointed out, perhaps the most dangerous for her was using an induction cooker because of the strong magnets used. The fear being that the magnetic field could interfer with the unit and it could fail to detect and adminster the required life saving shock if the worse happened. This warning also covers pacemakers and insulin pumps.

Several months ago, whilst on the waiting list we had to buy a new cooker when the old one died. Currys was the most convient and we choose the induction as it was on offer, there were no warnings about heart health concerns, neither did I check, stupidly.

So I sent an e-mail off the Currys CEO. No blame, no recriminations just wishing to bring the problem to their attention, in fact I praised them for the whole buying experience. Imagine my surprise when the next morning the CEO's office rang. The guy said that they were worried by my letter and had quickly reviewed the evidence and would be making changes, he thanked me for letting them become aware.

The call went on. As a gesture of goodwill Currys will replace the induction cooker free of charge. This has all been arranged this afternoon and the non induction version of the cooker is on it's way. It was certainly not the reason I contacted Currys and I'm humbled by their response.

Now that my letter has highlighted this danger I've no doubt Currys will react positively and bring out warnings. Incidentally there is a warning in AEG's manual yet something so important is in such small print and like most I suppose I'm in the 'when all else fails read the manual' brigade.

So. Currys. Thankyou very much.

So just for clarifications sake for those of us that are unsure,

You didn't call someone a s**g and you got excellent customer service:clap::clap:

I like stories like this where instead of just an e-mail saying thanks they have included the human touch to say thankyou, the rest is just the icing on the cake.

Coming from any company you cannot beat that end result, all the hate that they get you have to show some respect for this gesture.

Hope the new one ends up being ok for your and your missus.

Although the end of the thread title had me worried where this thread was going :laugh:

Not heard that term before.

I hear that 4K TVs under 50" can cause a similar problem, they need replacing for bigger versions to be totally safe;)

Fair play - Currys get a fair amount of stick on here (and elsewhere), so good on 'em for responding, taking your suggestion on board and then going way beyond that to help you and Mrs gibbsy..

Nice one Currys... of curse, you could do the cooking but that is another matter :)

That's definitely above and beyond for Currys there. I wouldn't have randomly guessed there was a risk either, although thanks to The Simpsons, I know about the microwave risk.

Granted, this is probably the most powerful induction available to the average consumer, but this gives rise to other possibilities. Are other induction items, like wireless chargers, a problem too?

Jas.

That's definitely above and beyond for Currys there. I wouldn't have randomly guessed there was a risk either, although thanks to The Simpsons, I know about the microwave risk.

Granted, this is probably the most powerful induction available to the average consumer, but this gives rise to other possibilities. Are other induction items, like wireless chargers, a problem too?

Jas.
Most household goods, if well maintained are safe, wireless chargers incuded. The implant goes into the left side of the body just under the collar bone. We have been told to use any phones in the opposite ear. Keep mobile phones in trouser pockets not in a jacket. Do not put headphones around your neck.

However all of these are low risk and the general advise is to keep all electrical appliances six inches away from the implant. Arc welding on the other hand is a no no!

Bang goes her chances of appearing in a Flashdance remake.

Presumably they could CG in the sparks nowadays? So don't recast yet...

Cooker fitted. Was a little worried with the snow. Hope the hospital is'nt affected for tomorrow. Will update back on the other thread.

After corresponding with Currys I decided to fire off an e-mail to AEG. It was a simple letter just asking them to make this important information available at the point of sale and not buried away in small print in the manual. They also gave the wrong information in regard to the safe distance of 60cm, they have 30cm.

I have received this reply.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email with regard to your AEG hob.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I can advise you that we are liaising with our product line team to find out where such errors have occurred and to ensure it is looked into as a matter of importance, to prevent this from happening in the future. I can assure you this matter is being investigated, though as this is an internal process, the outcome will not be shared with yourself.

I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you have experienced, and I would like to thank you for your cooperation and patience whilst this matter was being resolved.

The comments and feedback you have provided will be reviewed, to ensure our customer service level is kept at a high standard.

I trust the above will assist you with your query and if you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department on 03445 611 611.

Kind Regards,

Am I turning into a latterday Esther Rantzen.:)

Nice gesture from Currys.

So nice, in fact, that I will buy my induction hob, oven and extractor fan for my new kitchen from them on Tuesday.

Was going to go elsewhere after receiving zero help in-store in trying to buy last weekend (although, on reflection, the fluff on their carpet was probably worth more than the clothes I visited in).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom