Currys 5 year guarantee?

@Dan T This is exactly how I imagined it would be and why I would never use them, I've always been happy with Richer Sounds and John Lewis. I'm not claiming Curry's are bad, I just have it in my head that they would be and these kind of horror reports just confirm my fears.

Indeed. Unfortunately for me at the time, Currys were the only place where I could get hold of this TV. I will never again buy so much as a toaster from them. Utterly contemptuous behaviour. If anyone is interested I will continue to update on my situation.

Indeed. Unfortunately for me at the time, Currys were the only place where I could get hold of this TV. I will never again buy so much as a toaster from them. Utterly contemptuous behaviour. If anyone is interested I will continue to update on my situation.

Please do. It is very interesting to see how it all ends.

I went into my local Currys today (Lancaster) and asked about screen burn warranty.
He quickly answered with we don't cover it, and then proceeded to say that it rarely happens.

I didn't think at the time, but I should have said, well if you're so confident it wont happen, then surely you'd want to cover it, just like Samsung offer a 10 year burn in warranty.

Also asked about removing the plug so I could feed it through the wall. He wasn't sure on warranty with that, asked somebody else, who said it'd be classed as tampering so would void warranty.

Stupid design by LG to be honest. Makes zero sense

I'm currently having a nightmare with Currys and Team Knowhow. They are beyond inept. My 65EF950V OLED went back after four years as the panel had seriously degraded and had awful vertical banding. A catalogue of collection and delivery errors have followed, but the main technical highlights are;

Panel replaced with a new one. TV returned beaten up, covered in mud & grease. An irreparably damaged stand assembly with a courtesy footprint emblazoned across it for good measure. TV sent back again. TV returned to me with new stand, but on investigation the panel is the worst I've ever seen, with terrible green/pink tinting and greyscale blooming in the corners. On top of that, when they replaced the stand that they smashed up, they drove the screws into the back of my set with a jackhammer and they now have to be drilled out in the workshop. MASSIVE amateurs.

TV is back with them now but I have no faith in them at all. I'm now three weeks into this debacle and my TV is in a much worse state when it all started. At every step of proceedings, both Currys and Team Know-nothing have been worse than useless, and have treated me and my TV with contempt. I've had empty apologies and been lied to, deceived, and given the general runaround as though I'm the problem. And they point-blank refuse to replace the TV even in light of their catastrophic blunders. They are a nasty organisation, and their 5-year warranty is next to worthless.

AVOID.

Update as promised. In the end I contacted the CEO team directly and had a resolution within 24h. In light of the trail of comedic handling errors and overall contemptuous treatment of my 950V, the set has been written-off and I received a very generous voucher code which I have now used to buy a new TV and some other nice stuff for myself.

I have a brand new 65C9 being delivered this weekend. So all-in-all, an excellent outcome. From my perspective I've come out on top by a large margin. It's just a shame Currys customer services and Team Knowhow are treating some customers so poorly that they feel the need to contact the blooming CEO!

However, in light of my final outcome, I am no longer in a position to complain. At least the company did eventually put right their mistakes and compensate me handsomely for my troubles.

Update as promised. In the end I contacted the CEO team directly and had a resolution within 24h. In light of the trail of comedic handling errors and overall contemptuous treatment of my 950V, the set has been written-off and I received a very generous voucher code which I have now used to buy a new TV and some other nice stuff for myself.

I have a brand new 65C9 being delivered this weekend. So all-in-all, an excellent outcome. From my perspective I've come out on top by a large margin. It's just a shame Currys customer services and Team Knowhow are treating some customers so poorly that they feel the need to contact the blooming CEO!

However, in light of my final outcome, I am no longer in a position to complain. At least the company did eventually put right their mistakes and compensate me handsomely for my troubles.

can you give contact details of who you exactly contacted and what you said so future people can have a streamlined solution to the issue?

can you give contact details of who you exactly contacted and what you said so future people can have a streamlined solution to the issue?

I don't think it would be wise of me to post someone's email address on an open public forum, but if someone were to google something like CEOemial.com and then search for Dixons Carphone PLC then they might find the information they were looking for.

EDIT: I told them pretty much what I posted on here but in greater detail and more formal.

I don't think it would be wise of me to post someone's email address on an open public forum, but if someone were to google something like CEOemial.com and then search for Dixons Carphone PLC then they might find the information they were looking for.

EDIT: I told them pretty much what I posted on here but in greater detail and more formal.

I think providing the specific emails would help with getting greater consistency of service tbh.

Providing the email address of a CEO from a large corporation would not be deemed divulging private information. I am certain you would not be in breach of any regulations for doing so. I am sure however it is possible to ascertain the email address by undertaking an online search. Great result by the way, I will be knocking on their door soon regarding my tv...

Providing the email address of a CEO from a large corporation would not be deemed divulging private information. I am certain you would not be in breach of any regulations for doing so. I am sure however it is possible to ascertain the email address by undertaking an online search. Great result by the way, I will be knocking on their door soon regarding my tv...

I meant the email content, not the CEO's email

Just google the CEO email and explain your circumstances to them. No need for the other poster to post his emails on here.

Just google the CEO email and explain your circumstances to them. No need for the other poster to post his emails on here.

Indeed. I don’t wish to be obstructive, but the emails are confidential and, more importantly, specific to my exact situation. They’re of no use to anyone else. The CEO email address is easily obtained online through a search engine. Suffice to say that, in my experience, the CEO’s team take complaints extremely seriously and will be very helpful if you have a genuine case.

For me, Currys customer services and Team Knowhow were overruled within hours, after weeks of digging their heels in. This is definitely the avenue to take if you have a genuine grievance that no one else seems interested in resolving.

Last edited:
If Taximania hadn’t detailed everything when he took Currys to court then we would all be non the wise so it really is helpful for everyone on here and I dare say his court case could have helped you in your claim.

If Taximania hadn’t detailed everything when he took Currys to court then we would all be non the wise so it really is helpful for everyone on here and I dare say his court case could have helped you in your claim.

Taximania detailed events in the public domain.

Posting what is essentially a private conversation along with the email address is markedly different. I wouldn't do it, unless I had very good cause to do so.

Most major companies CEO emails are available on CEO e-mail addresses, it's well worth bookmarking for future reference. Of course these don't actually go to the CEO, but usually a Directors/CEO's department which is the last line of customer service. Essentially its a good way to bypass the war of attrition which is a modern customer service process (they try to delay and frustrate in the hope you'll go away).

There's no need to write a phonebook sized email. Just detail the key points of contention and the basis of your argument that they should refund/repair/exchange.

Most major companies CEO emails are available on CEO e-mail addresses, it's well worth bookmarking for future reference. Of course these don't actually go to the CEO, but usually a Directors/CEO's department which is the last line of customer service. Essentially its a good way to bypass the war of attrition which is a modern customer service process (they try to delay and frustrate in the hope you'll go away).

Exactly right. My customer service experience turned into an internal powerplay between different people and departments. One person overriding the next, and so on and so forth. It was little more than a battle for supremacy among people more interested in egos than the actual customer. Tragically embarrassing. Thankfully the “CEO” team got right down to brass tacks and overruled everyone else in one fell swoop. For this I am thankful, but the entire saga remains regrettable and has left a bitter aftertaste.

In any case, folks, I thank you all for your interest in my predicament, but I feel that sharing explicit details of private communications is both unnecessary and inappropriate in this instance.

ETA: I will add that, apparently, there is going to be an internal investigation into my case. In the event of this happening, it may at least be a positive step in improving the customer service experience. I appreciate that many people will have experienced good service with no issues, but the acid test is how they perform when there are issues, particularly issues of their own making. In my case they failed miserably and only made matters exponentially worse at every turn. But onwards and upwards...at least they came good in the end.

Last edited:
I never meant publish what you said as that’s private between you and Currys and I respect that.I just meant any help no matter how small as it could make others threaten to take action who are refused warranty due to burn in instead of just giving up.Hopefully your claim will help others.

My TV didn’t have burn-in and the original warranty claim was not refused.

Oh sorry I thought it was burn in.On another thread I’ve just read John Lewis are changing there warranty cover and it will cover one claim for burn in.Its not official yet but it could be in response to the rumour Currys will cover burn in soon on there warranty so fingers crossed.

No. Mine had degraded uniformity and very bad vertical banding. This claim was approved but then they inexplicably damaged my TV twice amid a cataclysm of continued handling errors, as well as failing to fix the original problem. They then told me to whistle because they had infinite attempts to fix it again within a six week timescale. After which they MIGHT replace it at their discretion :suicide:

Oh sorry I thought it was burn in.On another thread I’ve just read John Lewis are changing there warranty cover and it will cover one claim for burn in.Its not official yet but it could be in response to the rumour Currys will cover burn in soon on there warranty so fingers crossed.

God damn. That is a game changer. Whoever covers burn in first gets my money for a 77'' C9.

Yes it will give us all more confidence and improve Oled sales.My new panel is only two months old so I should have two years left with no issues.My biggest concern is its first 2000 hour pixel refresh which is what ruined my last panel.I so wish I could turn it off but if it ruins this panel I will just claim on my warranty again.

Hi all,
Anyone got an E9 from Currys?

I am looking at getting one from there but after speaking to their sales staff there appears to be confusion about whether the LG Oled E9 comes with 5 year warranty. I told them their website says it does but they seem to think you have to register with LG for the 5 years.

I know from owning an E7 that LG will cover the first year and then the retailer will cover the rest of the period assuming they provide free 5 year warranty. Any of you got proof of 5 year warranty with Currys?

Hi all,
Anyone got an E9 from Currys?

I am looking at getting one from there but after speaking to their sales staff there appears to be confusion about whether the LG Oled E9 comes with 5 year warranty. I told them their website says it does but they seem to think you have to register with LG for the 5 years.

I know from owning an E7 that LG will cover the first year and then the retailer will cover the rest of the period assuming they provide free 5 year warranty. Any of you got proof of 5 year warranty with Currys?
Haven't got a e9, but my Gz2000 has a 5 year warranty from currys, also my E7 and Af9 also had 5 year warranties.

But with my Af9 and Gz2000 I've had to phone currys to activate the 5 year warranty otherwise it would have just been the 12 month one.

Phoned them up beginning of the month to activate the 5 year warranty, and to get the paperwork that shows it.and within 2 weeks they sent me confirmation of the warranty details.

Haven't got a e9, but my Gz2000 has a 5 year warranty from currys, also my E7 and Af9 also had 5 year warranties.

But with my Af9 and Gz2000 I've had to phone currys to activate the 5 year warranty otherwise it would have just been the 12 month one.

Phoned them up beginning of the month to activate the 5 year warranty, and to get the paperwork that shows it.and within 2 weeks they sent me confirmation of the warranty details.
Thanks for the update. So you have to phone them to activate the warranty. Good to know.

It's my understanding that every new TV from Currys comes with a 5-year warranty whether or not you phone anyone or activate anything. I didn't even require proof of purchase in my recent case, and my replacement TV allegedly also comes with an automatic 5-year warranty.

Of course, if that is the case, it doesn't mean that some people will not be erroneously told otherwise by a Currys employee somewhere in the chain, and it goes without saying that everyone is encouraged to do their due diligence and seek written confirmation if they wish.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom