curry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

signs

Banned
is it true the british invented the curry to disguise the tast of the rotting meat back in the good old days of the empire.
thanks

p.s no intentional link between this thread and my last one :D

t1m103

think you will find the spices they used were probly around a bit before the empire,the word curry might originate from then but the dish itself or use of the spices i wouldnt of thought so.

krish

Distinguished Member
getting heavy with spices has, I beleive, historically been used to disguise unpleasant tastes and flavours, including putrid and fetid food

krish

Distinguished Member
t1m103 said:
think you will find the spices they used were probly around a bit before the empire,the word curry might originate from then but the dish itself or use of the spices i wouldnt of thought so.
there's no single curry invention as such is there???

I suppose the mixture of spices that is "Curry Powder", as well as Coronation Chicken and the use of ****ing apples and sultanas in such dishes were invented during the British Raj - and bear little relation to most of the subcontinent's cuisine

signs

Banned
are we agreed it's a myth then?
it's just i'am having a debate about it at work (to much time on our hands :D )

Mr.D

Its probably more to do with flavouring and adding variety to a bunch of fairly bland ingredients....meat wouldn't have been eaten with any regularity and might well have been salted a few hundred years ago.

No-one is going to eat rotten meat regardless of how flavoured it is and if a dish is known to specifically be designed to mask rotten meat its hardly going to increase in popularity. Its bad enough to eat rotting meat today ...back then it would almost certainly have been fatal.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
I dont think it's related to the empire at all, but can well believe in the reasoning behind using all the chillies and spices.

I absolutely swear by Lamb Phaal as a cold remedy, it's like DIY chemotherapy! :devil:

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Curry powder is nothing but a mix of other spices, it isnt actually a spice, its just the other spices you might normally use mixed together. But i cant fault the concept of covering up rotting meat, then i cant see why the meat might be rotting because it was eaten shortly after killing, in the long term they lived off vegetables and what not, at least thats what i always thought.

krish

Distinguished Member
interesting links there

have to issue a correction regarding my earlier mention of Coronation Chicken
- it was invented just after the end of the British Raj...
for the coronation of the present Queen

horrible stuff if I say so myself

Colonialism resulted in that mild flavoured British invention Curry Powder spreading to the Carribean for use in Curried Goat and various dishes, patties etc

krish

Distinguished Member
Abu said:
Curry powder is nothing but a mix of other spices, it isnt actually a spice, its just the other spices you might normally use mixed together.
Yup, should have really been called British masala :D
- or perhaps it is already called that by some???

C

Cynthia 7

Some fascinating information there.

Reading all this has given me a craving for curry. Wish I hadn't opted for cooking roast chicken for lunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.