Quantcast

Curry’s Lg OLED c7 burn in advice

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Hi folks
I seem to be yet another lg OLED c7 owner with a tv now displaying signs of burn in / banding. See attached pics. The tv was bought just over two years ago which, from reading various threads, seems to be a common point where these issues start to show themselves, dependent on use obviously. I have read taximanias fantastic post (thanks for that) and am about to make a claim to curry’s based on the tv not being of satisfactory quality, rather than specifically a warranty issue which may give them more wriggle room. I will be happy to take to small claims if necessary as I certainly have not abused/misused the tv being well aware of the potential for burn in and having owned a Panasonic plasma for over 10yrs without issue and still going strong.
Does anyone have any advice as to how best to proceed? eg tread gently and just call curry’s customer service in first instance, or do you feel I may have a battle on my hands and so putting things in writing at the start may be best? Many thanks.

Attachments

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Out of curiosity how many use hours have you logged on the tv in that 2 year time span?
Hi lumper
Just checked and usage is just over 9700hrs, 1300 comp cycles run and 5 pixel refreshes. From date of purchase I’ve worked out tv has been on an average of 11-12hrs per day. Maybe higher than the typical user?! 😬

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Before getting on the defensive, why don’t you speak to Curry’s first and see what they say?

Lots of people have had success getting burn in sorted recently you only have to search the numerous threads to see that.

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Before getting on the defensive, why don’t you speak to Curry’s first and see what they say?

Lots of people have had success getting burn in sorted recently you only have to search the numerous threads to see that.
Thanks Fergal
Yes I do intend to just have the conversation with curry’s in the first instance. Certainly don’t intend to get on the phone and start off with an aggressive stance or being arsey. Looking for them to assist after all. I just felt that perhaps stating the ‘fit for purpose’ route may avoid the issue, from the threads I have read so far, of people being rejected on the basis of burn in not being a warranty issue.
Cheers

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Thanks Fergal
Yes I do intend to just have the conversation with curry’s in the first instance. Certainly don’t intend to get on the phone and start off with an aggressive stance or being arsey. Looking for them to assist after all. I just felt that perhaps stating the ‘fit for purpose’ route may avoid the issue, from the threads I have read so far, of people being rejected on the basis of burn in not being a warranty issue.
Cheers
It’s definitely a good idea to be equipped with a plan b but chat to them first and see what they say

lumper

Hi lumper
Just checked and usage is just over 9700hrs, 1300 comp cycles run and 5 pixel refreshes. From date of purchase I’ve worked out tv has been on an average of 11-12hrs per day. Maybe higher than the typical user?! 😬
Hi, thanks for that information.
I dont know what they classify that as, I know my average use is higher.
I do believe you will have good luck with getting it replaced from LG.
Others on the Reddit boards in the US have had their panels replaced up to 4 years after purchase, LG told me in an email that as a courtesy they generally do replace them if they can ascertain that in fact burn in has occurred and not some other issue, I dont think your usage will be a factor.
I would try the store you bought it from first, see what happens there, then I would appeal to LG, actually I might just send an email to both to see what each has to say, but there is a decent chance they will take care of you and replace it for you.
Good luck.

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for that information.
I dont know what they classify that as, I know my average use is higher.
I do believe you will have good luck with getting it replaced from LG.
Others on the Reddit boards in the US have had their panels replaced up to 4 years after purchase, LG told me in an email that as a courtesy they generally do replace them if they can ascertain that in fact burn in has occurred and not some other issue, I dont think your usage will be a factor.
I would try the store you bought it from first, see what happens there, then I would appeal to LG, actually I might just send an email to both to see what each has to say, but there is a decent chance they will take care of you and replace it for you.
Good luck.
Thanks. Good to know you have higher use.
Yes lg in US does seem to have better customer care. Are you saying lg UK told you that they can replace for burn in? Case by case basis applies no doubt.
I’ve emailed curry’s today and will update with their response in due course.

lumper

No, LG in the US told me that.
I assumed it would be anywhere, I mean I just went to the lg site and hit contact and then emailed them with my questions and that is what they told me.
I dont know if they can tell by my email where I am from or not, but it never came up.

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Reply from curry’s today:
“Please be advised that upon checking our systems with your information you have provided, I can confirm the the TV is outside of the warranty period and would kindly ask that you contact a member of our out of warranty team on 0344 561 6666.”

Firstly I wasn’t specifically making a warranty claim anyway but rather a claim on the basis of not fit for purpose.

Secondly, I’m pretty sure the tv came with a 5yr warranty although I didn’t receive any paperwork for it. Would that not have been the case for this tv given it was bought November 2017?

So next stage will be a call to the ‘out of warranty team’ at the weekend when I return from holiday.

dcmcquade

Standard Member
So, called out of warranty team who confirmed the tv was in fact covered by a 5yr warranty despite what I was informed in my initial email response from team knowhow. As such, the out of warranty team couldn’t assist despite the fact i was pursuing a claim on the basis of the tv being not of satisfactory or fit for purpose. He then put me through to team knowhow but before doing so helpfully suggested I shouldn’t mention any screen burn issue, as that wouldn’t be covered, but that I should just say I had a faulty screen displaying issues and let them examine it and determine the fault in the first instance then take it from there.
I then spoke to a very helpful lady at team knowhow who has arranged collection of the screen next Saturday (as that was only date convenient to me) for them to inspect. She also stated screenburn wouldn’t be covered but as my screen seemed to be having other issues which I described as ‘like a mask over the central image’ (banding?) they may be able to assist but would let their technicians determine the problem.
Hopefully they will offer a replacement/refund but my next step will then be to pursue a claim with my credit card company, then small claims if I still get no joy. Will update in due course.

5to1

So, called out of warranty team who confirmed the tv was in fact covered by a 5yr warranty despite what I was informed in my initial email response from team knowhow. As such, the out of warranty team couldn’t assist despite the fact i was pursuing a claim on the basis of the tv being not of satisfactory or fit for purpose. He then put me through to team knowhow but before doing so helpfully suggested I shouldn’t mention any screen burn issue, as that wouldn’t be covered, but that I should just say I had a faulty screen displaying issues and let them examine it and determine the fault in the first instance then take it from there.
I then spoke to a very helpful lady at team knowhow who has arranged collection of the screen next Saturday (as that was only date convenient to me) for them to inspect. She also stated screenburn wouldn’t be covered but as my screen seemed to be having other issues which I described as ‘like a mask over the central image’ (banding?) they may be able to assist but would let their technicians determine the problem.
Hopefully they will offer a replacement/refund but my next step will then be to pursue a claim with my credit card company, then small claims if I still get no joy. Will update in due course.
Hopefully Curry's deal with it.

If not, then should the Card Company deny your claim under CCA Section 75 you also have the option of going to the Financial Ombudsmen Service (FOS). Might be worth trying before going to small claims court.

Also, for both Section 75 and FOS follow up, I'd reference the small claims court case Curry's lost in support of your "not fit for purpose" argument.

Good luck.

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Hopefully Curry's deal with it.

If not, then should the Card Company deny your claim under CCA Section 75 you also have the option of going to the Financial Ombudsmen Service (FOS). Might be worth trying before going to small claims court.

Also, for both Section 75 and FOS follow up, I'd reference the small claims court case Curry's lost in support of your "not fit for purpose" argument.

Good luck.
Hadn’t thought about the ombudsman so will add that to my list of steps before small claims. Have successfully used the FOS in a claim against insurance company so that could prove useful. Thanks for the helpful advice.

5to1

Hadn’t thought about the ombudsman so will add that to my list of steps before small claims. Have successfully used the FOS in a claim against insurance company so that could prove useful. Thanks for the helpful advice.
NP :)

Most major card companies seem to be reasonable in dealing with S75 claims. But like retailers, some can be d**ks :(

Hope you dont have to go that far though.

Riodb

Hi DCM
I had a very similar issue with my oled65e6 bought from curries that displayed burn in after 3ish years.
I also had the 5 years extended manu warranty and dug out all original paper work after my first call to currys know how where I was told that burn in was not covered. When checking in the documentation and warranty nowhere does it say burn in is not covered think that it did mention warranty wouldn't cover misuse.
I also advised them that I was not made aware at the point of sale that the warranty did not cover burn in or that burn in could be an issue with this TV. I was also not advised of any special usage required to reduce the chance of burn in. I wouldn't of spent so much money on the TV if this was the case.
Curry's I have to say where reasonable about the whole thing and replaced the screen. Unfortunately my story doesn't end there but in regards to burn in and curry's honouring the manufacture warranty they were great.
If you don't have all your original documents and want a few pics of sections of the 2016 warranty let me know.
If an amended warranty was produced after 2016 you better check if u still have it :)
Regards
Dan

Last edited:

dcmcquade

Standard Member
Thanks for your response Dan, that’s very helpful to know re burn in and the warranty. I didn’t, like many others it seems, actually receive any paperwork regarding the warranty. Curry’s initial response was that it only had a 1yr warranty but at least I have now confirmed it did in fact have 5yrs cover and I now have my warranty ref no. I might contact them again to ask them to send me the paperwork so I can actually review the t’s and c’s. If not I may take you up on your offer of a copy of the relevant sections.
Like you there was no mention at point of sale about burn in or special care needed or any questions asked as to my intended use of the tv.
My view is simply that I have used the tv for what I consider normal use and which posed no issue in 10yrs use of my plasma which also had a reputation for burn in.
I’m hopeful curry’s will do the right thing but I’ll keep you updated.
Thanks again.

Riodb

Thanks for your response Dan, that’s very helpful to know re burn in and the warranty. I didn’t, like many others it seems, actually receive any paperwork regarding the warranty. Curry’s initial response was that it only had a 1yr warranty but at least I have now confirmed it did in fact have 5yrs cover and I now have my warranty ref no. I might contact them again to ask them to send me the paperwork so I can actually review the t’s and c’s. If not I may take you up on your offer of a copy of the relevant sections.
Like you there was no mention at point of sale about burn in or special care needed or any questions asked as to my intended use of the tv.
My view is simply that I have used the tv for what I consider normal use and which posed no issue in 10yrs use of my plasma which also had a reputation for burn in.
I’m hopeful curry’s will do the right thing but I’ll keep you updated.
Thanks again.
I did not receive an extended warranty when purchased but the original LG warranty was included in the box and currys just offer an extension of that.
I had to ask for curry's for a copy which they sent out in the post. It did not have anything additional to the lg warranty except for some contact advice and the expiry date.