1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curry’s make you laugh!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alliwant, May 16, 2005.

1. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a spare hour today so I thought I would nip into Curry’s to see the new 42PE50B. As I walked in I was immediately asked by a young chap if he could be of assistance? Why yes? Do you know much about plasma TV’s? Yes I definitely do its one of my interests. Now I will be honest…I consider my self a complete novice but am eager to learn so we head of for a demo. Standing in front of the viera (42PE30) I asked if this was the latest model….Yes was his answer? Asked if it was HD ready? Yes was his answer? Why I ask? Its because it can display 18.6 Million Colours? So I asked for a demo with the DVB tuner…no need he says…you can see what its like with a DVD? Off he trots and appears 5 mins later with DVD (shrek) and bush player…another 5 mins the cheap scart cable was rammed into the back of the set and we watched 5 mins of shrek.
    When asked if Panasonic had any new models coming out he told me not for the foreseeable future, that’s why Currys had spent so much on a TV advert with the Panasonic TV? :eek:

I am glad I found avforums, otherwise I could have been one of those unwitting punters that believed all this tripe!! Make you think about how many people are being mis-informed about technology just to get the sale? :suicide:

2. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they pay peanuts so you got to accept the staff to be little more than monkeys. I bet that was the speech he was trained to give at the previous days staff training hour.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Lucky you didn't mention HDMI or HDCP to the young oik :rotfl: :devil: he would have been confused for the rest of the afternoon. :D

S.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    You're lucky you didn't get the re-gassing story.

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys sales people get paid (thats the job they do so they can pay there bills and support or live with there family)by selling things.
    S.W.A.N is a old sales tactic which means Sell whats available now.
    The new model most probably doesnt even appear on the currys computer system (i bet head office doesnt really want them to know if they are sitting on lots of old stock)
    It is most likely that a spiv is being paid on the older models.
    Currys and dixons guys often do know more than they let on because they dont make money selling things they dont have!

I believe that independant retailers more often (but not always) have the customers best interests in mind . often the people who work in those stores will tell you about new products in the hope that you will but a deposit down rather than get all the info then buy from a cheaper store that would have lied to you.

multiple retailers set up a atmostphere,a sales culture of sell something doesnt matter what but sell something today.

They are the same as banks,travel agents,NTL ,SKY double glazing ,utility companies etc or any area when someone wants to make a profit out of you no better and no worse.

6. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Enquirer,
    Very nicely explained !

7. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enquirer, i agree with most of your points. but is it right to mis inform/sell a product? and if you do this knowingly then what about the moral issues? I for one do not have 2k spare to then go out and replace a plasma in a few years. I bet i wont be able to chnage my tv for at least ten? i think when i have enough pennies i will go to av-sales or such like.

8. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Currys = Verbal Diarrhea

9. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alliwant. First of all I do agree with you and the next bit may sound as if I’m being sarcastic but its supposed to be funny to make a point.

MW..Is it right to mis inform /sell a product? That’s the question today on the Wright stuff.
    What about the moral issues? Do you think it’s moral? Call in and give us your opinion?

Excerpt from the channel five Wright stuff programme

MW...we have a salesman from Liverpool on the phone Hi Mick.

MICK.. Yall right Matthew ,like us salesmen get all this bad stuff said bout us but I’m only doin me job ,if i dont sell anythin i would get sacked.

MW... But you must have sold things that were not the right thing or didn’t do what you said they did. Doesn’t that make you feel bad or feel guilty?

MICK... not being able to pay me leccy bill or watch the toffees makes me feel worse.

MW... Ahh so what you’re saying is let the buyer beware and do research because they can not really trust you for un biased advice.

MICK... errr no once i sold a chrome toaster that a customer wanted so I’m not all bad.

MW...Thank you Mick interesting points there.

Next topic today .Should we blame evil advertisers who promise products are much better than they really are? Or is it the customers fault?
    This and other pointless arguments that never can and never will be resolved after the break.

One comment I often make is that people make a choice to buy any product on a whim or because of there own desire to own a product without really finding out about it.
    I personally think any purchase over £100 of electrical products never mind £1000 or £2000 should be researched. I spent a week researching Toasters! Before I bought a £69.95 toaster.
    What people often do is make the salesperson the scapegoat for a ill judged buying decision.

Many years ago I was a salesman in a Separates Hi fi store and being the obsessive person that I am I learned all the product knowledge I could and all the sales techniques I could.
    I went to the library and read up about many methods of persuasion.
    at my peak I could (if I had wanted to )sold you almost anything I know that sounds incredibly arrogant but it was true BUT I genuinely believe I didn’t miss-sell because I do have morals. But I would get you to spend more!

Here is an example
    We had a very limited section of mini and midi systems and masses of separates very I rarely sold mini or midi systems. What hi-fi ? Magazine gave Aiwa a product of the year on one such three disc bags of poo. Every man and his dog came in for one.
    Most of my colleagues would sell one and be on to the next customer ..easy sale.
    I knew that this model and models before it had laser problems and didn't sound very good(so did my colleagues).I would point out the Christmas tree lights were not the best thing for sound quality and do dems between that system and seperates,I would get them to spend more on separates.
    These customers when they got into home cinema changed the amp for an AV reciever and because I had spent time with them and they recognised me and trusted me they came back to see me.

The thing is was I being moral making others spend a lot more ,some times more than ten times the original budget or by loading them with finance?

Anyone walking into a store wants something. Anyone window shopping has a desire to one day own something. This put you at a disadvantage if you are faced by an intelligent salesperson.
    Personally I like Curry’s salespeople they often are not as dedicated to working there as a career so are not as good as extracting money out of you ,if you fall for that.. well its your own fault.

I remember I sold a guy who came in for a BSR record needle(£4.00) and went out with a £500 C.D player I had sold him.I would do this on a regular basis.
    He came back five years later and said it was the best purchase he had made.
    But I really did control this guy some of the techniques I used do border on hypnotism.

So my advise is be careful do research and set a budget.

Not that you can trust me! :devil: :D

10. lockstocked

lockstocked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

Please read the whole of this post before jumping down my neck. I am a Manager for a large Currys store and agree with every ounce of what you have all just stated. I am not a person who is going to defend the head office tactics of Dixon’s/Currys but I would like to put forward some info so you can understand what pressures/measurements we work to, as I would like to defend my Staff, as people!
    I would also like to tell you before I start that I spend many hours trawling through these pages to make sure the information I give out is correct, I also use these pages if I do not know the answer to a question posed by a customer.
    Because of the budgets we are restricted to in respect of staffing we do not have the financial resources to pay substantial amounts to get the professional salespeople. If we were to pay more to get the pro’s we would have to lose staff making everyone’s jobs harder. This would result in customers not being served at all.
    It is easy to blame the 21 yr old lad who lives with his mum cares only about going on the **** at the weekends, and yes I agree they should be properly trained, but if the guy does not have an interest in the products how are you supposed to keep him up to date with the ever moving technology. It would be impossible when you have so many product groups and so many staff in the store. If they know the basics they can guide the customers and make recommendations.
    I also agree that a customer should never be lied to, and if the salesman does not know the answer they should just say so, but then we have the instance of the customer kicking off telling us that we're all **** and walks out. We’re damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.
    That all being said I also know of some great salespeople who will do anything to make the customers shopping experience what it should be, and these are great people and thinking outside of the box you will probably recall one such visit (to a major retailer).
    I am not naive enough to think that I do not have salespeople out there who do like you say and try to sell them anything, and I have also disciplined people for such, but customers do also try things on on a lot of occasions, such as "the salesman said this"........ "Well I wasn't told that when I bought it"...........
    And the problem I then have is proving it
    As for the case of spivs, or cabs (customer advice bonus), the salespeople in our store receive no bonus for selling you older stock, in fact there are at the moment less that ten items on this list in the whole store, the maximum amount of products I have seen on the bonus list for the last couple of years would amount to no more that twenty items, and even then the bonus half the time only equates to a pound or two, it is not like it used to be. there are many myths about the amount of bonus' that my staff earn and unfortunately they are untrue, for instance extended warranties, my guys do not get paid extra commissions for selling them, they never have done or at least not for the six years I have worked for currys.
    anyhow I know we are nowhere near perfect but I can put this down to a number of points, we do not have enough staff, we are not going to get more staff until we start to sell more, we are not going to sell more because of the ever increasing competition, and customers will always expect more. Going forward from this point we are also not helped by the manufacturers. I recently attended a job interview with Toshiba, from that interview I learned that in the u.k. Toshiba have two product trainers for the whole country, two to cover every store in the u.k., and that also includes the independents, so surely the butt does not rest with us, also the likes of sony sub-contract out there training to outside agencies, there trainers do not even work for them!
    I could keep going on for another couple of pages, but in conclusion things are not going to change, all I can say is that if you want to buy it know what you are buying first, also check out the likes of tesco’s website, they now sell a vast range of electrical and have already said that they will become the dominant force in electrical retail, imagine this buying your top end plasma off someone who puts out carrot one day and sells you a plasma the next, at least some of my guys have some knowledge, even if it is only a little, I do not defend the company and its ways………… but I do defend my people!

I will be happy to answer any questions!!!!

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, lockstocked. It's tough out there, especially in the face of AV geeks who've done all their homework on the net, but haven't actually seen a screen in person... and who'll only go and buy off the web to save a few quid, anyway.

It's all very well for people to say 'Do your research', but if I costed all the man-hours I've probably spent checking out plasmas it would probably come to more than the cost of the damn (that word only rhymes with Sam, if the auto-censor gets it) thing. So it's an expensive hobby... For most normal people, places like Currys are great to get a sense of what they can get - let's face it, too many people buying plasmas haven't a clue about image quality, they just want a 'flat screen'.

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    So does the store earn more from them then? If not, why are the staff usually so pushy with extended warrantied?

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You're lucky he didn't sell you a Monster Scart cable :rotfl:

14. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i just say .
    1, im aware of more than 2 trainers for toshiba in the uk but they are cutting back.
    2,i agree sony do subcontract out, but its still in their interest to give you the correct training , and anyway of course they contract out for training they dont even make their own equipment so their definatly not gonna have their own trainers.
    3, at the moment id vote panasonic for no1 trainers my oh my do they put their hand in their pockets. :clap:
    and last but not least.
    4, you must get something from the warranty and not all your staff are clued up i asked a few weeks ago why i should buy from you and not from john lewis seen as jl give a 5 year warranty and was told that the jl warranty is not worth the paper its written on? and this is a general response from quite a few comet/currys/dixons stores. so id like to set the record straight with you in the hope that you can pass it on for me . the jl 5year warranty is FREE NO CATCH AND ITS ROCK SOLID it breaks we repair it it breaks 3times we replace it oh yeah and we pricematch to. and most of us know what were talking about we research in our own time and then pass on the information to the customer we know where the old stock is when the new stocks arriving and whats coming out in the near future. (well some of us do)
    ok thats me done. back to work now ;)

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Whats with all the TV's wired by composite in Dixons/Currys?

16. 16millman

16millman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I took early retirement as a research engineer at BT Labs a few years ago I thought that working for the new Currys Superstore as a "customer advisor" just down the road would earn me some pin money and allow me to advise customers! Just what i wanted to do. I applied for one of the posts and despite having extensive knowledge of AV, a first class honours degree in Electronics, an MSc in Electrical Engineering and being a Chartered Electrical Engineer was not even given an interview. Reason, no sales experience. So much for advising customers. Its a sham. Selling is all. Advice, forget it.

17. lockstocked

lockstocked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks all for your feedback. Firstly I would agree that we have become a shop window for the internet, however there are a lot of people out there who do not either know or are bothered about the quality of the appliances and do simply want the flat screen. These people also tend to go with “I’ve had a Panasonic for twenty years and its still going”………. So this straight away depicts what TV they will buy next. We also have other customers who come in with “x” amount of money and will buy whatever that will give them regardless of quality, the techwood plasma for instance (big pile of poo), then we have another type of customer who comes in and will buy whatever they can take away…… regardless. There are a many more brackets I could put customers into and I see it all the time, but what should I do, tell them that they are wrong, I run a business and I run it with the utmost integrity however if someone wants something sometimes it is very hard to tell them they are wrong, especially when they are being prodded, sorry advised by family members or friends who are “supposed” experts, who would you listen to, the stranger who is earning commission or the person you trust?

For the next post, obviously the store/company make money, but we are a business that is what we are there to do, however for every person that does not claim there are people that do not. I have seen in the past customers who originally spent £200 on an extended warranty on say a £1000 appliance, two years on the appliance has been written off and the customer has received back £1500 to replace there appliance, (equivalent spec, not value) that being said I have seen customers who have come in with less money to spend than their original outlay but walked away with a far more superior appliance, so in those instances where do I make, it is a gamble, but my staff do not earn anything extra for selling them.

Next, if the customer is buying an appliance from us, is it not right for us to sell them the best cables we can provide for them to get the best out of there appliance. If they are buying the plasma from us they are not going to go to an independent for the cables. But in saying that I would say that 95% of currys/comet/powerhouse/john lewis staff would not know the correct cables to hook appliances up with, they will just sell you a scart lead, easy answer. I would say that out of the aforementioned chains very few staff would be able to give you a true description of high def, how to connect or what you need in terms of connections and protocols.

None of the manufacturers seem to be bothered with the big chains even though I imagine we are there biggest source of income in this country. As for Panasonic being a1 I have never in my six years with Currys seen a Panasonic rep, as for there after sales I had an issue whereas the customer received a brand new boxed sealed appliance. The instructions were missing, I contacted there customer services so that they could send out a set and they replied that they would not as the customer had probably lost them in the packaging, and that reprints were available of the net. They were not, and still to the day they do not have it listed, luckily I gave the customer the reprint of the digital version just explaining that they did not have the digital functions, but that was just for thirty sheets of A4 paper!

There is a lot that our service does that JL does not however I am not going to go into that here.

We do not have any idea how to display TV’s, ideally we would have them all connected to decent DVD feeds, problem is that if we did that they would either get nicked or in most stores they would just use the “scart lead” thing

All I can say about the guy who did not reply to you for an interview, shows the general quality of management that we have in our stores, too many of them have been around for too long and take to new ideas with the attitude “seen this before, didn’t work then, it won’t work now” and that is why we are so slow in moving forward. I would have got you in for an interview straight away; in fact do you want a job still?

Overall it seem s that I am very negative however I am not, I am overly interested in your comments and would like to put a resolve to your questions. However I am not naïve enough to see that we are very bad as a company, and that is not just currys but that is all large electrical retailers, thankfully we are one of the better ones but we are still no where near where we need to be. There is far too much dead wood and people who have stagnated in their positions. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I am looking for ways to improve, how many other retailers have tried to give you some sort of insight into our positions and take your input as to improve the business from our side?

Open for your replies

18. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    nice to see you on here mate :hiya: I'm in the i know what i want and i want to take it with me brigade :D
    you seem to be one of the better managers in those type of stores ( may that spread ) i did see a pv500 running in Curry's yesterday with what looked like Fujitsu compact PC running HD demos ( it looked mighty fine ) you should try and get one for your show model mate it will sell it . :smashin:

19. robbleiper

robbleiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Currys :thumbsdow

20. lockstocked

lockstocked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have got the Fujitsu HD PC running on the sagem DLP, that is where Sagem put it, to display their product, you're right it does look good though!

21. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I was in the Currys store in Bexhill today. They had two different 42" Panasonic plasmas on display both showing the same price and model number. Both were labelled as TH-42PV500. One was a PV500CAB and the other which was on a pedestal stand was some other model number which i can't now remember. I pointed out to a salesman that the one on the pedestal was not a PV500 and he removed the incorrect label. I have visited several Currys and Comet stores in the past few weeks and have come to the conclusion that the staff seem to know very little about the products they're selling.

22. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the misfortune of working for Currys for almost 5 miserable years.

I got so berated on here in 2001-2 trying to justify their business methods, that I had to question what the point was. While there, I was actively discouraged from spending time setting up products properly. We had the fantastic situation of selling (natch) a Yamaha 5.1 package that consisted of a cheap amp and speaker package. It took me many weeks of persuading my manager to be able to set it up in the "Home Cinema Demo" room (this I use with lose terminology). After setting it up, weeks went by with an upsurge in 5.1 system sales. I was then told to disassemble the setup because "It was taking too long to demo the system?" Admittedly, sales of Coverplan on PC's was suffering because I was demoing this new fangled 5.1 technology......

Staff training is an absolute joke. I really mean this. I once had a strip tore off me by my "Manageress" for reading the free copy of What Hifi in the staff room on my lunch "hour", which was actually 20 minutes, 30 officially. She then proceeded to call What HiFi and cancel my free subscription.

This added to the fact that apart from here and buying all the major monthly AV magazines on my generous £5.20 per hour salary with no comission from the first £8500 per week "Threshold" and 1% thereafter, discounting warranty sales, which were not eligible for comission??, because according to DSG this goes against the BRC code of practice, which no-one else is members of anyway made me switch careers briefly in a last ditch attempt to salvage some personal dignity.

Interstingly, I was actively discouraged from selling to customers who wouldn't take the "Beneficial" warranty and would literally walk away from them, after all, the comission wasn't exactly high enough to justify the battering I would receive in the weekly "briefing" if my coverplan sales were below 10%.

The BRC code of practice also states that salespeople should be put under no pressure to sell warranties...... But we were.. For no extra pay... Which is almost unheard of in this industry.

Carrot and stick are all you have to offer employees, even your "Top salesmen", a weekend in Brighton for a million quid in sales???? And this is good? What is 1% of a million quid less £8500 sales per week anyway? £20kish, Pathetic.

Profit related pay was also introduced while I was there that made sure that any pikey shop lifter was chased, regardless of the possible consequences, as it was brainwashed into us that they were stealing directly from us and not from the "poorly payed" directors. In reality we were risking serious injury for pence.

This also saved paying a security guard.

We were frequently confronted with the possibility of physical violence and were always understaffed, but this was OK as long as the store manager came under budget on salaries to pay his bonus.

Retail hell. Perhaps I should write a book.

I have one piece of advice for you, LEAVE ASAP.

If you enjoy the challenge, good for you, but I cannot see anyway that you can increase market share, with supermarkets etc. I am sure that the new warranty legislation has also crippled the business too.

The grass is always greener.

All comments welcome....

Brock.

23. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our local Currys (in Lancashire) got a Panasonic TH-42PV500 in a couple of weeks ago. Now bearing in mind that this is a hi-def screen, for the first week at least it was being displayed with an absolute cr@p picture with interference lines all across it, with obviously no effort being made to set it up properly at all, even with a decent SD feed. The salesman was obviously embarrased by this when I stood looking at the picture, and explained that due to a high building behind their store, they had to point their aerial towards Wales to receive any signal (this despite the fact that the Winterhill transmitter is only about 30 miles away!), which is then split among all their TVs in the store. I've always found the salesmen there to be very friendly and helpful (as far as they're allowed to be), in spite of the obvious management policy of not giving a damn what sort of picture they show on their TVs :rolleyes:.

I enquired about the new 42" HD Samsung plasma, but was told they would only be getting one in if they managed to sell the old SD model that they had on display (again presumably management policy) :(.

24. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I like most of on this forum tend to a lot of research before committing myself to purchasing AV equipment and will freely admit that the last place on the planet that I would buy a major pice of AV equipment is Currys/Comet etc.

However we do have to accept that Currys has a role to play within the market and it is not just a window for us internet shoppers. To be honest and to defend them a little bit - I honestly think that Currys and Comet(superstores only) have at long last started to lift there game. The choice of products particularly in the TV range is good and they are pretty quickly up to the mark with new models the 500CAB being a good example and I was gobsmacked when a couple of months ago I walked in and they had HDTV on display (admitedley on a projection TV) but nevertheless they had it. If I have been into one I have been into a hundred (BIIGGG EXAGERATION :eek: ) specialist AV stores who say that they are getting it in shortly, but it never seams to appear :confused: so for me they win that one hands down.

I know that if you are unfortunate enough to go in on a Saturday and find the 16yr old schoolboy on his weekend job you are going to get no change out of him - but we know that before we enter - so what is the problem!

I personally tend to buy my gear from Electrosaver in Bradford for two reasons, they are competative and will price match (even off the internet) and they are reasonably close to my home so that if I do have to take things back I am not relying on white van man damaging my precious equipment.

I know everyone like to make jokes about currys type stores and their stupid sales persons, but at the end of the day they serve their purpose they do give us a chance to have a look at what is on the market and there are a lot of them - making access to all easy.

The last thing though :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: have a decent source to your TV's there is nothing worse than going into a store to look at something and watching the most awful picture possible! Most of the teles in the store are great and you do not do them any justice showing some poxy looped trailer that was made in 405 lines by cuban television before tv's were invented :rotfl:

Dave

25. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My god it sounds as bad as working for Natwest and they are horrific for sales targets!

26. Chorlton

Chorlton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in the Nottingham City Centre branch a month or so ago, they had just received and setup the 42-PV500 and there was a problem with the set.

A third in from the left hand side was for about and inch-inch and a half all the picture shown was faded into a red bar.

The plasma had only just come out, and the store is demo'ing a broken one? surely you'd take it out back and get a new one in, or at least turn it off?

I had to ask the guy in the store if the TV came like that? His response, 'It took us ages to assemble the cabinet, and we havent any others'.

Seriously, would you spend any amount of money from a store thats demo'ing damaged goods. Whats next selling batteries that have lost their charge?

My opinion is this sort of thing is down to the people who work there, not management. From my experiences in the big electrical retailers (JL not included always been good to me) the shop floor staff attititude is one of complaisance, they seem to be thinking 'If was'nt working in this shop then I'd only be working in another'.

Big retailers need to wake up, its about the customer experience. When a customer leaves your store (whether they've bought something or not) they need to have enjoyed it, and think yes I'd come back. Otherwise you're right when you say Tesco are going to take your market share, because if you cant offer a competitive advantage over them, then they will be able to rack 'em, pack 'em and stack 'em higher than the others, even if they are next to the fresh fruit.

27. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardles of whether we agree with lockstock and his analysis of curry's and HS retailers or not - plaudits and repect to him, coming on here with such a refreshing retailer atitude..it certainly shows up Tiny for the lousy cheatin' gits they are.

:thumbsup:

28. GAC

GAC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have to agree with you DAVE911 and i work in a currys, the problem is the company wont invest on new displays. iv asked a few people and no one has heard anything about what will happen in 1 year when hd's out and we cant demo hd units as all we have is normal rf leads going in the back of them.

sure we can hook up some pc's and hd dvd players and hell even xbox360's and ps3's but as a company we dont do our home work. all the company is botherd about is money money money, we have had staffing levels cut year after year even though we havent had a drop in profits for as long as i can remeber (iv been there 7 years now), im guessing its the same for other high street retailors as everyone's in it for the money but to say we are now the largets electrical retailor in europe (thats dixons group not currys) it scares the hell out of me that we carry on cutting staff and services and still expect to take more and more money.

all in all guys when your in currys dont get to upset with the staff as most of them are there to do a job most of you wouldnt do if you had the chance, they get bottom pay and get abuse weekly weather they desrve it or not.

i could go on about other things that are seriously wrong with the company but id be here all night, but if things dont change soon i have a feeling we'l be lossing the good staff as theres only so far you can stretch that one or two good sales people.

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well not to worry, you sales people, or even managers. The independent sector is on the march again, most noticeably in custom install. Those with knowlege and the willingness to learn more should have little trouble finding jobs in the AV 'retail' sector. It's just the definition of retail has changed a bit. Those who don't buy online want SERVICE, that's what CI is all about.

30. lockstocked

lockstocked
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again and thanks for all your views, it is good too see people criticising with points and accuracy rather that just telling us that we’re all just ****!
    In reply to the instances made earlier regarding staff training, the only response I can give is that on the whole it is a joke. The training is updated once every five years; the P.C. training disc that we offer at the moment is the same now as when I joined the company 6 years back (it talks about serial ports, SCSI and Pentium 3 procs). Luckily and I speak for my store now, there are a few of us who have genuine interests in the AV industry and technology so we can generally answer any customer questions no matter how diverse or complicated, or if not use forums such as this to find the answer. However that does not by any means make my store perfect, there are times when we are not in the branch and times where salespeople genuinely believe the information they are giving out is correct. And this is the problem with the whole industry, the manufacturer reps, (when we see them) come into stores and give brief PowerPoint demos of there latest products using all the latest buzzwords and putting there swing on the technology, if you do not know, it would be very easy to get confused, please remember the amount of products we have in branches (including white goods). This does not make it right and I am constantly trying to talk to my staff about the products and looking for new ways in which to train them, but I can only change what happens in my branch, that is why I am here posting to this thread, so I can find out what is wrong and make the relevant changes. Your help is appreciated!

As for the faulty TV’s mentioned earlier, this is an ongoing problem and one there is no easy answer to. All I can say to this is that no store should display a faulty set, it should be removed from display but this then goes on to the problem of stagnated managers, (and staff), who either cannot be bothered or don’t give a ****, either way it is wrong and I would not accept it, however I appreciate that it does happen.

As for targets it does not matter what job you do you will always have measurements of performance be it targets or whatever, even MacDonald’s need to get there drive through times done in a targeted time,. However in our business I accept that we operate under a lot of stress which has been accentuated by the fact of staff cuts and increased workloads, however the company state that this has all been made easier with improved operations! Unfortunately you talk to most members of staff fro this company and they will all state the is b*****ks. The only people who lose out on all of this are the customers, and we then go back to the start of the circle, you walk into the branch and cannot get served because all the staff are busy doing something else or already with customers, and when you finally do the guy does not know anything because he either hasn’t been trained or has no interest! Catch 22 but all I can tell you are that generally we are trying to do the best for everyone and keep all people happy.

I would like to conclude on this post by saying that I know I like many go to work in the morning to do the best possible job that I can, no matter what the stress or pressures, however we are never going to be able to keep everyone happy (there are some right miserable b******ds out there). All I aim for is to make sure that everyone who purchases makes sure that the customer has the perfect shopping experience to the best that we can give them; I need to rely on repeat business. Saying that I genuinely won’t to make everyone who walks through my doors happy but I can accept that this will not always be the case!........... No matter how hard my colleagues and I try!