Currently on a 12 month half-price deal; but my HD "trial" has ended

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mickyd67, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Anyone else experienced this issue over the past few days? In short: I had a deal which expired last November; I had all the packages / HD / 3D etc. basically all the channels except Man U / Chelsea TV etc.

When I called up to cancel Sky as my previous deal was coming to an end I was offered a 12 month extension, I was hoping I would get a further offer at the time to be honest, so was happy to take it.

So, a week or 2 ago I got a letter saying my HD 'trial' was coming to an end. I honesty thought that I had been sent the flyer in error. However this week my Sports & Movie channels changed back to SD. If I wanted to continue to view these channels it would be £5 a month.

I called Sky and was told that I was on a trial for 3 months for these channels. That was news to me - nobody had mentioned a trial, of any description, whatsoever. I was then told it was a "secret trial" - strange; I'd imagine these things would be promoted, especially if they believe it's benefitting the customer. I did ask if there were any other potential secrets associated with my subscription I should know about as I'd rather prepare for any increases in my monthly outgoings. No was the answer.

I was then passed to cancellations who said it wasn't a trial but a "system error" at the time.

All in all very frustrating and left with a feeling that Sky have dreamt up an idea to get more out of any subscriber on a current deal and have lied about the reasons behind it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that I am on a deal. I accepted the deal and the monthly fee - what I don't like is for that to be changed and the inference being that I misunderstood what was on offer.

Anyone else in this same boat in recent days / weeks?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did have a look and couldn't see anything.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Exactly the same happened to me - lost all the sports and movies HD channels overnight (my package - Entertainment extra+, movies and sports) . I had an engineer call on Thursday to "fit" a new box and he couldn't understand what was going on. He phoned sky and got the story about the free trial which ended Wednesday. News to him and me. I phoned Sky later and got a long winded explanation from a guy who didn't sound all that convinced himself. Expressed my less than total admiration for the lack of publicity about this time limited trial.

BTW - I didn't get a letter.

3. DPC1979

DPC1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I rang Sky, complained, explained as far as I was concerned HD was part of the deal I signed up to and they have re-instated the HD part of my 6 month half price deal by charging the £5 but then applying a credit to the account as well. Be careful because if you take the £5 without time limitation they will put you on a 12 month contract.

5. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    No you didn't. Sky don't use engineers for installations. If they did perhaps he/she would have understood. Sky use installers not engineers.