1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Currently investigating some good speakers

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Steve1977, May 23, 2004.

1. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...for my new living room! Well still decorating at the moment but the crowning achievment I want is a superb tv and some nice speakers to compliment all the hard work thats been put into creating the room.
    Its fairly small, so Im looking for a decent pair of speakers that are not too cheap, but also not too expensive. After all, be a waste of time purchasing a £1000 set of speakers when i wont be able to run it at the levels it was designed for.
    A lot of the low end speakers seem to have sattelites on the back. Admittedly these look small and so the alarm bells are ringing posing such questions as......

Are they sadly lacking when compared to their bigger cousins? or has technology improved so they'r good? At the moment iv found these:

Yamaha nsp100
    Yamaha nsp200
    Sony savs500

Admittedly the Sony is a lot more expensive but you could say the extra money is what I would have to spend for stands for the two Yamaha's.
    My amp is a Yamaha DSP-A5 which I purchased for £100.
    Basically I want to get DD5.1 and DTS. Want the speakers to compliment the amp. Most important of all I want the clarity of a good home cinema setup.
    My budget is about £400 ...preferable like to pay half that! :D

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/1313

What hi-fi said this about the package with the amp attached:
    We've loved this system from the moment we first heard it, and if you want great surround sound from tiny speakers, this is the set-up to go for". "Even more impressive is the Aego P5's stereo ability: you could happily use it to listen to CDs. All in all this system is a revelation: on style and sound quality it's a winner." - What HiFi 2002 Awards - Best Buy Winner.
    :)

3. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    That is an unbelievable deal. My earlier one was cancelled so I'm on the prowl again, so thanks for that (any more advice speaker/tv wise would be appreciated!) :D

4. Baz1

Baz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,
    Have a look on the Acoustic Energy,s web site. They are selling B stock of the Aego,s very cheap.
    Thanks,
    Barry :smashin:

5. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.mediaran.de in Germany do the Canton Movie CD1 for approximately £250 delivered. The same speakers are £400 in this country.

You have to go through the hassle of doing an international money transfer (£5.50 at Lloyds TSB) but they arrived in about a week.

I used to have an Aego2 and found the sub overpowering and I was unable to adjust it enough to correct it. This may not be an issue with the Aego5 set, as it has more adjustment options on the back of the sub. Be aware with the Aego that the speakers have to run from the sub, which may lead to a lot of cables to stuff under the carpet, depending on where you can hide the sub.

6. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That link doesent appear to sell the cd-1 anymore. A local hi-fi shop has gave me info on the canton movies 5-cx. But the speakers look really tiny. So the CD-1 seems a viable alternative. Is the surround vastly different? even thought he speakers are tiny on the 5-cx will it still have good quality! its about £199 at the shop.

7. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the canton movie 20-x the same as the cd1?

8. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mediaran.de do seem to still have the CD1 set on their website. Put "canton cd 1" in the suche box and it is the first thing that comes up.

Not sure about the 20-x, but the 20-x II certainly looks different to the CD1 to me

I would be nervous of going for the Movie 5, as one of the things I like about the CD1 is the slightly larger than average satellites which seem to give a much fuller sound than my previous Aego sats.

9. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent stuff. To be honest, that website when you convert the Euro's is £20 more expensive than the 5-CX so Im gonna go for this one.
    As you say, its the bigger sats which swing it.
    Could you give me some tips on how to order though? Im dont know German. *help* :D

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I speak German fluently so just give me your credit card details and I'll order it for you :D

11. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok then...

wait a minute! lol. Im sure i'l figure it out.

12. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Art....are you living in the UK? I ask because I need to know if that website imports overseas.

13. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I am in the UK. Postage to the UK is 20 euros

I don't speak German either, but I muddled through

You need to click 'Bestsellen' on the item page
    Click 'OK' on the pop up to add to your shopping basket
    Click 'Warenkorb' at the top of the page to view your shoping basket
    Click 'Wieter zum Bestsellformular' to proceed to check out

Then you will get to a page to fill in your address - go to www.google.co.uk/translate if you are not sure what any of the words mean but you can probably work it out.

The next page will ask for shipping details. IIRC you get a choice of store pick up (0 euros) or courier pick up (20 euros). You need to go for the 20 euros one.

After going through the confirmation page you will get a confirmation email

Assuming they have it in stock, you will get a further email a few hours later with details who to make the bank transfer to. If you print that out and take it to your bank, you should be able to fill out the money transfer form.

The important bit of the emai will be something like this

innerhalb der naechsten sieben Werktagen.
    Auf unser Konto
    IBAN – DE48 3601 0043 0055 8174 37
    BIC - PBNKDEFF
    Der Postbank Essen.
    Bitte geben Sie als Verwendungszweck VORKASSE
    Und Rechnungsnummer:{your order number will be here}

When you fill in the bank transfer form, you will need these details
    IBAN – DE48 3601 0043 0055 8174 37
    BIC - PBNKDEFF
    Bank name - POSTBANK
    Branch Location - ESSEN
    Reason/Description - VORKASSE bill number {your order number}

You will also get the option to split the charges (you pay you bank charge, they pay theirs) or pay all the charges (you pay all the charges). I went for Split, and it all went through OK.

I did the slowest bank transfer method with Lloyds which is supposed to take 5-7 days. My speakers arrived 7 days after initiating the transfer.

If you are wary about the bank transfer then http://www.technikdirekt.de do the CD1 for about £30 more and accept credit cards, as well as having an English translation of the site. Be aware that they do require you to email/fax your credit card and photo ID before they will proceed with your purchase.

The speakers seemed a tad bright on first listen but have calmed down considerably after the first few uses. I am very pleased with them for the price.

14. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that Art. May I ask what you mean by sounding bright?

15. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one more question. :D I was under the preumption that all the speakers are magnetically shielded...is this correct? From reading the Canton website it states that only the center speaker is. It doesent mention the others.

16. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What I meant by bright was they sounded a bit trebly and harsh on the ears, but this is often the case with new speakers - and especially small satellite ones - until they are run in.

They are magnetically shielded. I have mine about 2 inches from the edge of my TV and there is no colour staining

17. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still havent brought these yet because I have one more question. Will there be a problem with these being native to Germany? Will the connections be different? I would have thought that only wall plug sockets would be different in Europe, but because these are speakers it obviously plugs into the amplifier therefore it wont be a problem. Is this true? cheers.

18. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only Euro specific thing is that the powered sub has a Euro two pin plug on it. You can either cut it off and stick a UK plug on it, or use an adapter.

19. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One final question Art....are they silver as advertised in their website? Id hate to order them and for them to be black. Cheers

20. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, they are silver

21. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What a great thread. I have been eyeing up the Cantons for months, wondering how I am going to amass the necessary funds for these speakers, but NOW....well! The end is surely in sight!

If only the same could be done for an av receiver!

Thanks.

Mark.

22. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im glad others have been helped too with this thread!

Arts gonna kill me but I have another question. :thumbsup:

Is the actual power outage of our electricity different to Europe? For instance I could put a plug on it and then short it all out because ours is more.

Also one final question (and i sincerely mean it!) Is it easy to put a plug on it? By this I mean taking off the old two point plug with a normal (for us UK'ers) 3 point plug......when you dismanle a European one has it got the normal wires in there? (i.e. 3 of them)

23. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We used to be 240v and Europe was 230v, but I believe we are now 230v to standardise with the rest of Europe. Pretty much all electrical kit in the EC is 230-240v anyway.

There will only be two wires in a european power cable. There is no earth connection, just a live and neutral wire. Just wire them to the correct pins on a UK plug and you will be fine. If I were you I would use an adapter rather than rewiring, at least until the warranty is up.

24. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isnt it dangerous if theres no earth wire?

25. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You'll find that most electrical kit only has two wires, as the cases are insulated instead.

The only stuff that would generally have three wires are high current stuff (fridge, cooker, toaster, kettle) and things with metal cases

AFAIK we are just about the only country that does have an earth connection - certainly the US and Europe both use only two pins.

26. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent stuff. Rightio mate, im off to buy this thing. Once again, a big massive thanks for your help. :)

27. Steve1977

Steve1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and after all these weeks i have the money to buy it. :rotfl: :clap: :smashin:

28. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, got referred to this thread via a link in my new thread ;).
    A question... what if the speakers are damaged etc?
    What kind of warranty do they have?
    Am I right in assuming that if they are taken care of and not abused, speakers pretty much can last a decade plus easily and are one of the more reliable types of technology?

29. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone bought from Germany imparticular and then had to rectify technical problems?

Mark.

30. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0