Question Currently have Yamaha rx-v373

Scrizo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Yamaha rx-v373 and am looking to upgrade. I currently have it configured on the TV stand as I don't want to mount into the walls of the place I rent. I find the sound is now not very balanced and have to turn it all the way up to get decent sound.

Can anyone recommend good receivers with speakers that can be still placed on a stand near the TV.

Context about living room mainly watch TV, Netflix and occasionally ps4 games.

Thanks for viewing and replying in advance still a novice at home entertainment systems.

Which speakers you have, how many and subwoofer too? Would be nice to see picture of your front stage with the tv/speakers how you have them placed as that is very important too.

Have you run the YPAO setup with the microphone that came with your receiver? It sounds more like setup problem to me than fault of the device.

Use 2min and watch video below, the beginning is bit goofy but there is the basic information you need to optimize things! Room must be totally silent when you run it, it won´t take few minutes more. Hope you have some tripod/camera stand for the mic.

I tried that mic but I can't get my room to be quiet I have 4 parakeets lol. Here is a picture of my setup sorry for dark.

20210207_190330.jpg

Where is your speakers? And what models are they, how many and subwoofer also?

You need to get the room silent for few minutes to get the speakers level matched, distances set etc.

They are on top of TV stand 1 subwoofer

The speakers are what came with the Yamaha receiver.

I have 5 speakers 1 subwoofer

Ok they are little bit hidden then. I would bring them at the front edge of the unit. Shame you have to keep the receiver there cause the speakers are so close each other. Also you have put them all horizontally which is not the way they would be kept normally. It`s no wonder it sounds crap!!

I would push them forward at the edge of the unit and then run the YPAO to get some sense for the system. After doing that change speaker size Small from menu cause Yamaha defaults them large even if sub is present. If you don´t have any stand for the mic go sit in the couch and keep the mic pointing ceiling in open hand on top of your head. Don´t move for couple minutes with room silent. If you have couch against wall then keep the mic little more away from it.

You should definitely find a new place for the receiver so you get the main speakers upright vertically and more spread apart. If the receiver has all the features you need then there is no need to change that. The speakers are the cheapest worm boxes you can find in UK and they should be swapped if you would get more space somehow.

Two bookshelf speakers at each side of the unit / tv would sound lot better. So you could do 4.1 system if that receiver can be moved.. Speaker stands at each side of the unit even better.

Last edited:
Size is small I got nowhere to really locate the receiver to I can try your advice and see if it improves anything

Size is small I got nowhere to really locate the receiver to I can try your advice and see if it improves anything

Put it on floor for the moment. Put the speakers upright, move tv to centre so you get both main speakers at each ends and push all three speakers close to the front edge of the av-unit. After this run YPAO again the way i described / video shows.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom