• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Current Xbox 360s - Quiet?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Haven't had an Xbox 360 for years now after I got fed up with it sounding like it was about to take off and fly out the window. Probably sold mine in late 2006.

With the release of the Kinect and some good bundles going around, the current 250GB XBox that for example is in this bundle:
Xbox 360 250GB With Kinect & Kinect Adventures - Xbox 360 - GAME.co.uk

Is it a lot quieter than the older white Xboxes?
Does it still come with that whopping great power brick?
Has it been refined and improved since the early Xboxes and do the new black ones still have that red ring of death issue?
Does the new one have the BBC Iplayer?

DJSigma

Banned
I can only hear the fan in the console if I literally put my ear up to the vent. It's a vast improvement on the sound of those buzzy twin fans in the old consoles. The DVD drive is also much quieter too.

The size of the power brick was reduced with the later Jasper units and with the 360 S, but it's not that much smaller than the original design. Unfortunately, the fan in the 360 S power supply is noisier than the fan that was in the old style PSUs, but the sound of the PSU isn't intrusive IMO, especially if you put it behind your TV.

This is the 5th revision of the 360. It has totally redesigned cooling (a single, larger fan with an exhaust vent on the top of the console instead of at the rear) and the CPU and GPU are combined on a single chip which has seen a die shrink to 45nm. As of now, there's no evidence that the 360 S has any inherent issues like the early 360s.

It doesn't have iPlayer, although I read in a recent interview that MS are still in discussion with the BBC about it, but I wouldn't assume it's going to come to the 360 any time soon.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like they have made some nice developments. Shame iPlayer isn't on the 360, but doing a google search mentions something about Sky player being there, so that should be ok for the time being.

No idea as I have been out of the game for so long, is £299 good value for a 250Gb console and the Kinect?

DJSigma

Banned
is £299 good value for a 250Gb console and the Kinect?
Not particularly as that's the RRP, although with Kinect being so new there don't seem to be any good deals on at the moment (outside of deals on Kinect games). The 250GB bundle is out of stock at quite a few online stores, but the best in stock deal I can find at the moment is £319.99 at HMV for the 250GB Kinect bundle (including Kinect Adventures) and either Sonic Free Riders, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved or FIFA 11, but that only saves you about a tenner, assuming you want any of those games.

monkeyboyav

Standard Member
Not particularly as that's the RRP, although with Kinect being so new there don't seem to be any good deals on at the moment (outside of deals on Kinect games). The 250GB bundle is out of stock at quite a few online stores, but the best in stock deal I can find at the moment is £319.99 at HMV for the 250GB Kinect bundle (including Kinect Adventures) and either Sonic Free Riders, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved or FIFA 11, but that only saves you about a tenner, assuming you want any of those games.

I've compared side by side and yes the new slim is noticably quieter.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Can confirm this too having had my new one for a couple of weeks. An essential is to save the game to the hard drive and it is then almost silent.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom