Current TV Technology drawbacks.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Souldestroyer19, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Souldestroyer19

Souldestroyer19
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a quick search but couldn’t find anything on this topic, so apologies if there’s already a thread on this.

So I've been in the market for a new TV for about 6 months or more now, doing obsessive amounts of research to find the “perfect” TV, at least for my usage, and it seems that every type of technology/TV has drawbacks which have prevented me from parting with some hard earned cash!

For example:

OLED - There’s no denying that OLED has by far the most impressive PQ on the market. For me, it’s not even a contest. However, with the risk of IR and potentially Permanent Burn-in (more like uneven wear than Burn-in) it's a major drawback for me.

LED/LCD (FALD) - The Samsung Q9FN was a TV i considered, it has great reviews and FALD with 450-600 zones (i think) with near OLED looking blacks, however, to get those black levels it inadvertently causes losses of detail in dark areas, worst I've seen is scenes with stars in them. If only the Sony ZF9 had kept the ZD9 back lighting system...Why Sony, WHY?!

LED/LCD (Edge Lit) - Well we know the drawbacks with edge lit panels so it doesn't really require explaining.

MicroLED - From what i've read, this could be the potential "Holy Grail" where it brings the best of both OLED and LED/LCD (FALD) with none of the drawbacks, but this is obviously not available right now, or for the foreseeable future.

What's everyone's thoughts on the current technologies, bearing in mind to buy the proper top end TV sets, there are many drawbacks regardless, and they are expensive items?

How far away are the TV companies from really perfecting TV technologies, or will they just jump on the next bandwagon of 8K rather than spend time and money resolving current TV issues?

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    You are wasting your time looking for the perfect TV because one hasn’t been built yet, and isn’t likely to any time soon.

You’ve also summarised the pros/cons of each respective technology, so it comes down to making a decision on what’s going to worry you the least and what flaws can you live with.

Given that CES is next month why not wait and see what 2019 brings? A perfect TV...No, but maybe something you might be more comfortable with.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    While LED TVs aren't available yet, LED displays more generally are and they do have HDMI inputs so there's nothing to stop you using one as a TV.

Of course the pixel size is still large enough that you're looking at 80"+ for Full HD which is why they're not used in TVs yet.

You're always going to be disappointed if you approach a product focusing on it's downsides. Unless the users and journalists are so apathetic about the product that there's nobody pointing them out. Limitations of technology are particularly apparent when there's competition.

You need to approach it from the other direction, see which product is best for you.