Current TV on the way out, not sure what to go for

Flashy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For nearly six years, I've had good service from my Toshiba Regza 32av615db. But for the last few months, it's beeen showing it's age and is getting worse, so want to have an idea of where to turn when it eventually gives up the ghost.

My needs are basic – watching Sky HD, DVDs (no Blu Rays), Netflix via Apple TV, and that's about it. All I'm going to be fussy about is motion blur when watching football, as I don't want that. Looking at either another 32in set, possibly 40, but no bigger than that. No real budget in mind, it is what it needs to be, but ideally under £300.

Having looked around, am I right in thinking I'm not going to do much better than the Samsung UE32H5000/UE40H5000? Reviews seem positive, only downside I can see is that it's only got two HDMI ports – if we ever got a Blu Ray player, we'd have one cable too many.

That said, with no Blu Ray and with the size of set I'm looking at, should I be looking at 'HD ready' 720p, like I've got now? Know full HD would future proof to an extent, but if it's of no benefit to me and I can save a few quid, should I look at that?

Or, for the money of the Samsung, am I just as well getting that and having full HD as a bonus, as I won't find better for less?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Unfortunately, blur is a potential fact of life with low end LEDs. Not that I've ever been bother by it on my 32F5000 (last years model) when watching football in HD (Sky, BBC1 HD, ITV HD)

There are almost no HD ready models nowadays

You can always add a splitter if you need more HDMI sockets in future

Thanks. I've had no issue with blur on my current budget set, hence not wanting to take a step back. Though I'm sure things have moved on since I bought that one, in 2009, and I shouldn't be unduly concerned.

On that basis, am I likely to find anything more suitable/well regarded than the Samsung at a comparable price? I'll stop looking if not!

I doubt it. Buy from John Lewis and if unhappy they are very accommodating on returns. 5 year warranty and retrospective price matching too if the price comes down within 28 days

Buy Samsung UE40H5000 LED HD 1080p TV, 40" with Freeview HD | John Lewis

If going with the 40", you may want to increase your viewing distance a little

Best advice, don't go looking for issues and enjoy your new TV :)

Thanks again. And thankfully, I'm not the sort of person who will sit there looking for problems. If I'm as pleased with it as I have been with the current one, I'll be happy.

I have a panasonic TX-L32 E5B in the bedroom and have never noticed any motion blur, watch a lot of motorsports and xbox360 on it. I think they have that pretty much sort now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom