Current TV’s with DTS decoder

jimgallaher

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a 55” TV for my spare room, primarily for occasional gaming (PS5) and movie watching. It must have ar least 1 HDMI 2.1 120hz and must have DTS decoding or at least DTS pass through. I’d prefer OLED but would be ok with LED. Does anyone know if any current sets meet these requirements. I have the LG CX in my lounge and the lack of DTS is a royal pain in the ass.
Thanks

If you want DTS support, then new LG TVs are not your friends. Look for a TV with eARC capability, and go from there.

There's a lot of TV's that meet your requirements. The best buys in my guide here:

You want to avoid Panasonic, Samsung and LG if you want DTS.

Thanks for that, I had a look at your guide earlier, the Sony XR55X90 (I think) looks interesting, my only concerns going from an OLED to an LED might be a disappointment

If you pay some extra there is the Philips OLED706, or if you want to go refurb you could check to see if any Sony OLEDs appear on their refurb store.
Thread about that here:

If you're going to primarily be streaming, I don't think anyone is using DTS in streaming, it's all Dolby as far as I can tell.
The only time I hear DTS now is from my blu-ray player.
I found out months after I bought my LG-CX that it doesn't pass DTS signals, but since it's eARC capable I just plugged my blu-ray player into the soundbar for DTS.

It's a shame however, because I've preferred DTS sound since the beginning, even DTS:X sounds better than ATMOS to me. I have Animal House on UHD blu-ray & the DTS:X soundtrack is fantastic!

If you're going to primarily be streaming, I don't think anyone is using DTS in streaming, it's all Dolby as far as I can tell.
I found out months after I bought my LG-CX that it doesn't pass DTS signals, but since it's eARC capable I just plugged my blu-ray player into the soundbar for DTS.

It's a shame however, because I've preferred DTS sound since the beginning, even DTS:X sounds better than ATMOS to me. I have Animal House on UHD blu-ray & the DTS:X soundtrack is fantastic!
I've a large collection of ripped Blu-rays the majority of which have DTS soundtracks/

I guess it depends on how you plan to deliver those to the TV.
If you have an external player for that, you can just feed it into a receiver that passes the video to the TV & decodes the DTS sounds.

I guess it depends on how you plan to deliver those to the TV.
If you have an external player for that, you can just feed it into a receiver that passes the video to the TV & decodes the DTS sounds.

Agree, if you are using Kodi on a separate playback device then get that device to do the decoding and pass it as PCM to the TV, which will retain the quality of the sound format. If you are using a built-in app then yes that might be a problem.

What are you using for the actual sound? If the TV is doing the sound then DTS -> PCM in the player should be fine.

Agree, if you are using Kodi on a separate playback device then get that device to do the decoding and pass it as PCM to the TV, which will retain the quality of the sound format. If you are using a built-in app then yes that might be a problem.

What are you using for the actual sound? If the TV is doing the sound then DTS -> PCM in the player should be fine.
Sorry, I'm using a Sonos beam, unfortunately there's only the one input into it (HDMI but I believe it comes with an optical adapter as well) when you say external device to do the decoding what would this be, would a 4K Firestick with Kodi installed be able to decode from a USB HDD and output to the Sonos thru my CX ?

I think what the guys mean by an external device is a media player that does the decoding like a nvidia shield or a vero 4k. I use a vero 4k for all my ripped movies it will play any audio format. As you say your Sonos beam has only one hdmi input so you'll need a TV with eARC connect your media player to the TV and send the lossless audio to your Sonos beam through eARC

Basically as @dion 6 says. Assume the Firestick will do this too, but I use a vero 4K+ box. Basically, it converts the DTS to lossless PCM which your TV forwards on by ARC\eARC

Thanks guys, looks like a solution, just gotta find a shield or a Vero at the right price 🤔

I was almost livid when I found out my LG-CX wouldn't pass-through DTS.
DTS sounds better, but has been squashed by Dolby, quite possibly because Dolby generally compresses smaller.
The thing that bugs me the most is that it won't just pass it, I can understand why it can't decode it, but just passing a signal should be an easy feat, & I suspect they are limiting the passing through on-purpose.
At the time I had an older Yamaha soundbar & upgraded to a Samsung that can pass UHD signal through eARC.

The prices on eBay seem ridiculously high, so I assumed it was either discontinued or extremely hard to come by ?

The prices on eBay seem ridiculously high, so I assumed it was either discontinued or extremely hard to come by ?

Not as far as I know, buy from the manufacturer website. Not exactly the quickest shipping sometimes but you won't be ripped off like fleabay.

The thing that bugs me the most is that it won't just pass it, I can understand why it can't decode it, but just passing a signal should be an easy feat, & I suspect they are limiting the passing through on-purpose.

They don't have to pay the DTS licence fee which mount up :(

Always with the bottom-line determining the true quality of our appliances, & just about everything we purchase.

I’m now looking at the Shield, but the Shield tv doesn’t seem to have usb, the pro does but on the nvidia website specs state that DTS support is only pass-through ?

Don't bother with ebay you can get a vero 4k+ direct from osmc vero

Pretty sure you can control the audio output on each device in the settings. Including the shield.
So you can probably set it to output PCM.
It may even auto detect what's supported and auto-decode DTS to PCM.

In my case, it did change to PCM, but only Stereo.

I do believe my TV (LG-CX) now supports multi-channel PCM, but at the time it would only pass through Stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom