1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Top 5 future-proofed plamsa's? as of 10/02/05

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sofa-loafer, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HELP & G'day, I'm willing to spend £2000 - £2500 for a plasma. Im looking for something as future-proofed as it can be at this point in the cycle. I want to link my Amilo 64bit laptop to it for gaming, to cover Sky's HD transmissions in 2006 & connect my Teac 550 system. I guess a DVI or HDMI link has to be somewhere close to the top of the list. Can any of you hardcore 'techs' give me a scooby of which you consider to be the top 5 options? Nice one! :thumbsup:

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The most future proof at the moment are the xde plasmas from Pioneer, however there are various panasonics, LG's, NEC's and Hitachi 5200 (i think),which can be specced up with boards etc. See some of the threads regarding hdtv etc which should help answer your question more fully.

the xde is a safe bet though, as is the new generation of DLP rear projections from samsung etc although there's no reviews of these at the moment except in What HiFi mag. :offtopic:

3. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    thanks deanym... chancing my arm a bit, but Im a lady and have logged on for my husband to impress him with my technical lingo when he gets home from work, where's the best site to look for the cheapest option on a Pioneer XDE. ta

4. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i bought mine from a local dealer for 3000 with two year warranty, however if you look at a few of the threads further down they have prices etc, it seems a one can be had for less than 2700 delivered but that'll be with 1 year warrany.

AV-sales, advertised on this very site at the top of this page, also have them for sale at reasonable price with two year warranty.

5. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Got my 435XDE on order with Tvandvideodirect.com for £2650!

The only Future HD compatble plasma makes are Pioneer, NEC and LG have a model.

You won't go wrong with the XDE, totally compatible!

NM.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PLEASE DO NOT BUY BLIND
    go and see the sets, pionneer LG and NEC all make Futureproof screens but the PQ is not as good as others......in fact the NEC is horrendous IMO..... a very poor plasma (XR3 and XM3 units) the pioneer is the best of the bunch but most expensive see my mega test thread for lots of info on plasmas in your price range:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183227

7. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks lads... getting a better picture (no pun intended) of which way to turn... what about the Hitachi range? the 5200 & 5300 have some good specs.

PS. excellent review hornydragon. Your eyes must have stung after that session!

8. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

They are good all-rounders but they are not future HD Compatible and they are not true HD panels! (1024x(2x512)).

NM.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the hitachi compatibility is dubious also they dont have enough pixels to be HD ready acorrding to the EICTA spec dont be fooled by the 1024x1024 quoted RES.......they are ALIS panels (ALIS IS a weird version of plasma that is actually 1024x (512x2) so not the HD resolution that is required for HD Ready label)
    HEnce the list of compatible plasmas at 42"/43" is pionner XDE and FDE only as NEC are so poor its not worth bothering and the LG which has not been tested to my knowledge (PX12 and PY10 only) there is a new Panasonic Veira due in next 3 months that should be fully compatible especially since the kicking they got over current range no being compatible with SKY's proposed HD broadcast system without adding another BOX at £800 ish (currently but will drop)...Panasonic do have the best PQ tho!!! (IMO of course.....)

10. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    OK... which future proofed plasma has the best (easiest to attach from docking station) PC/graphics connections & PQ (for gaming) rating. i.e. accepted as the gamers choice? Difficult question to answer I know but we tend to hammer the laptop on a Saturday evening, also what about picture burn. My Amilo1630 64bit is 1200 x 800 (widescreen) and runs very sweet, so that also has to be a consideration for my future purchase. Seems the Pioneer looks like the way to go with its similar resoultion settings?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PHD7 without a doubt fit DVi board and away you go Most Burn proof screen out there excellent for DVD and Sky (will need help with sky HD when it eventually arives) will work well with laptop and has 1024x768 (proper RES)

12. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    when you say 'it needs help with SKY' do you mean I would need to buy an additional media box to scale the images correctly? Im here to learn and you seem to 'have the force with you' to coin a phrase1

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    correct you willneed the DVi or HDMI (optionalextra) input card and a box to do FRC(frame rate conversion) to 60HZ that the panny can handle....currently requires a scaler which starts at £800 (does a hell of a lot more tho and really makes your Display shine........)

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sofa loafer, you obviously don't watch 'Little Britain' I would not repeat 'I'm a Lady' if I were you....
    The XDE Pioneers have big time issues with PC use, the only sensible input is on the front of the media box, they are intended only for a quick bit of web surfing with your laptop, with the cable trailing over the floor. The digital input is video only, you can connect a PC but you can't get native resolution. IMHO it might be future proof but it's not too hot on scart or component, Pioneer really want you to buy an 868 DVD from them as well. Things are likely to shake down over the next month or so, maybe giving a sensible option for people like yourself.

15. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Will this mix cope with HDCP element of Sky HD broadcasts?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes with FRC to 60Hz

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's HDCP, just not hi def 50Hz, you need a device for frame rate conversion. This is perfectly feasible, though judder may be intrusive. Depends on your watching habits and sensitivity.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    Hello all

Sofa-loafer - I think the venerable Horny has taken leave of his senses; or missed the first line in your post :)

The 43" Pioneer XDE PlasmaTV is the ONLY product currently available on the UK market that fulfils all of your requirements - including fiscal constraints; depending on how you value your suppliers input to the transaction you'll pay anything from £2.75K to £3.2K for the HD Ready PlasmaTV.

A 42" 7 Series 1024x768 Panasonic loaded with a DVI or HDMI Input Board + an external Video scaler will certainly meet (with a bit of tweaking) your tech specs but its going to take your expenditure to nearer £3.5K.

RobbieTT - the PHD7 + DVI Board wont on its own work with SKY HD!

You'll also require a Video Processor to Frame Rate Convert (FRC) 50hz 720P HD signals to 60Hz 720P HD that the DVI Input is compatible with; allow at least £820.00 for a Video Processor.

Horny - why do you keep suggesting Video Processors are coming down in price? The new kid on the block from Crystalio is £1K entry level and £1.6K for a 'slightly' more realistically specified unit.

Best regards

Joe

19. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im with ya there, mate.

Ordered my XDE and comes tuesday! :clap:

NM.

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's the easy route there's no doubt. IMHO they are still a bit sad with SD inputs, particularly scart. Demo'd one today, with a client, a sharp 37" LCD was way better.

21. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've heard a few reports on this some say its fine and others are saying its a bit poor!

I think i'll be using component or VGA output (whichever works best) from my PC for a scaled Sky signal anyway so i should be okay in that department.

NM.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well NM, it'll be component unless you want the VGA trailing across the floor.

23. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven't seen my setup!

Won't have any trialing leads, the M-B will be next to my PC under the panel and the VGA port is only under the M-B front flap!

NM.

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think you failedto read my posts joe if i may so bold as to quote my self
    and
    so as you see i did not suggest that the panasonic was HD ready.....BUT is IMO the best plasma for Sky DVD and Gaming from Laptop........ :smoke:

25. jamieb

jamieb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i think that people should wait 4 months and see what arrives,,its a promising future. we all didnt buy plasmas when they first came about so why all the fuss about HDTV.i its a fast moving business. and unless you need a plasma within amonth for whatever reason WHOAH SON HOLD YOUR HORSES. av_sales offer is fantastic but they must have a reason for doing somthing like that.... everbody wait , i am only assuming here but

26. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Think i'll wait a little longer. I'm not that happy about buying a product from a cast of one (Pioneer) - what do I compare it with?

27. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hornydragon........do you have a feel for how much a 42" screen may be?

28. philgreeen

philgreeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon - I was all set to go for the 505XDE this week but having read this thread I'm having doubts.... my primary usage will be Sky and DVD but want to have a PC permanently connected for Games/browsing/home security etc.

Do you know what the spec is for the new Viera ? Is it going to support HDTV ? will it still need a scaler for FRC ?

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Phil, the viera has even worse PC connection issues, the VGA is actually on the front of the screen itself. For permanent PC connection you really should look at monitor type plasmas, and if you have sky, you don't need a tuner built into the thing anyway Recording, I hear you say? Get sensible, get sky+.

30. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It worth pointing out that there are some who think the VR5 is not as bad as made out in the mega test. Since I found out that on the panny RGB mode has no colour adjustment I've started to consider others. Panny owners say the lack of colour adjustment is not a problem but it's not something I feel comfortable with. The VR5 has all the inputs and control you'd ever want and is future proof (again mega test said not but other have shown 50p working).

This is not to say mega test is wrong, just that others disagree which doesn't come across that strongly in this thread. Given the VR5's other benefits I would suggest you look at. It something I want to do before I make up my mind.