Current System Upgrade thoughts

Grahame1080p

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just like to say hi to everybody :hiya:

i am going to upgrade my av amp within the next week or two, i currently have the Sony STR-DN1040 one of the hdmi outputs is now not working, i need 2 as i have a tv & projector,i was thinking about the Denon avr x2700h but seen an earlier post from this evening recommending the Denon avr x3600 as a better option for not a lot more money. i currently am all 1080p (Projector -TV - Blu-ray player -Netflix) but i would like to replace some of my kit to 4K eventually, i have recently purchased a apple 4k tv box for the Netflix streaming (1080p), would i be able to get dolby atmos sound with 1080p video through the X3600 as replacing the projector for a 4k one at the moment would be very expensive.
thank you

You'd need a 4K display to gain access to Atmos in association wth Netlix's streaming service. Only UHD content via Netflix includes Atmos so if the source doesn't detect compliance, you'd not therefore be given access to the UHD encoded cideo and or the Atmos audio. You'd also need to pay for the Netflix UHD premium subscription to get both UHD and or Atmos.

This previous topic relates to the question you are asking:

You can access Atmos via UHD discs though and the source player should mixdown the video while still giving you access to Atmos audio. You also get many HD disc inclusive of Atmos and it isn't exclusive to the UHD releases. It should however be noted that more UHD titles include it than the HD discs released at the same time.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply 👍
I understand regarding the Netflix, would 4k films purchased from iTunes play the atmos audio while down mix the video through the Apple 4K tv box do you know.
yes the UHD player would be the way to go for discs & I will look into this.
i will read the topic that you have kindly linked for me.
I would like to upgrade my projector to 4K as all our viewing (Streamed films/series & bluray Discs) is done this way but this won’t be happening anytime soon & I don’t really see the point in the cost of a 4K tv Just to watch the news & soaps.

I'm not sure as to how the ATV handles such matters? In theory yes, but in practice…

???

It should be said that you don't actually get to choose to buy 4K titles via iTunes, If there's a 4K version available then you will be given access to it, but not to download and keep. You only ever get to doewnload the HD variant of anything you buy from Apple.

Last edited:
Oh i didnt know that, i will have to look into that for the future 👍
I took your recomendation regarding the denon avr X3600, & purchased it from Richer sounds preston today i got it for £699 should be here next week. 😀👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom