• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Current Simplicity tariff>micro sim-does everything stay as it was?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

If I decide to stay with O2 and move to micro sim when I get my iPhone 4, does anyone know if they will try to move me away from my unlimited data tariff and on to one of their new capped ones, or will it simply carry on exactly as it was?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

tjradiohead

Established Member
It depends if you have the simplicity 12 month contract or a month by month. Month by month they can change the terms and conditions whenever they like.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
The official line is they wont change your tariff unless you 'change tariff or upgrade handset'.

Which basically allows them to do what they want should you get a iP4.

Who knows.

barrybarryr

Established Member
It depends if you have the simplicity 12 month contract or a month by month. Month by month they can change the terms and conditions whenever they like.

I appreciate they can but where have they said they are going to do this?

I have emailed their chief exec, emailed their customer support and tried to call them to get confirmation of what is happening to current Iphone simplicity users on a 30 day contract but nobody gives a definitive answer to this question.

The only thing they have said is if you are on an unlimited data tariff you will remain on that until upgrading or changing tariff.

danwalton

Established Member
But if you're on a rolling 30 day simplicity plan surely they will just impose the new cap the next time it rolls over after October. Also, I would think if you are on a rolling 30 day simplicity tariff it's too late to change to the 12 month one and retain unlimited data because they have to have a month's notice which takes you beyond the June 24th cut off date :(

oasismark

Distinguished Member
But buying a payg isnt upgrading your phone so they wont know if you chop your sim and use it in the new one.

If your with say O2, and you buy a PAYG iP4 from O2, they may have details on record and may pick up on it as a new handset.

If your with O2, and buy a iP4 from orange, i cant see how they would notice.

Basically companies just do what they what and if you dont like it you can leave, thats the message get from all of this, and yes i stinks but they know they can do it cos we as consumers want their services.

hot-fuzz

Banned
But if you're on a rolling 30 day simplicity plan surely they will just impose the new cap the next time it rolls over after October. Also, I would think if you are on a rolling 30 day simplicity tariff it's too late to change to the 12 month one and retain unlimited data because they have to have a month's notice which takes you beyond the June 24th cut off date :(

I think thats what will happen, but not sure for those tied in to a year of simplicity.
I just had a 30 second call to O2 and changed to the simplicity iphone 1month free text, data, wifi and 300 minutes, and expect to be capped in october. So will get 5 months unlimited at least.
Its too hard speculating about what will happen, so got free wifi now to try it out.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Thanks all for your input. :thumbsup:

I'm on simplicity 30 day tariff currently, so maybe I should convert to an annual one to keep my unlimited data?

The bit that worries me is the "we can change your tariff if you upgrade your phone".

Does that refer to you doing an official upgrade through 02?

What about if you did an "unofficial" upgrade by buying your own handset?

I reckon they will use the instance of people asking to be upgraded to micro sim as an opportunity to move the goalposts and change the tariff.

The other option is for me to lock in to 12 months Simplicity now and then just cut my sim down to micro size when I source my own i4 outside of O2 (from Apple direct).

That way, O2 would have no sight of me upgrading to i4 and no record of me requesting a micro sim for it. :smashin:

I'm a bit scared about cutting my sim down I must confess. :eek:

is1111

Prominent Member

well i changed mines over last night through my online account. showing updated on my account to the new 12 month tariff. no idea if there will be a problem with it though. i assumed as i was upgrading then they wouldn't hold you to 30 days notice on the 30 day rolling contract. the 30 days was more for actually cancelling the account.

i did actually request my pac last month so not sure if this would affect anything either. I was going to go for samsung galaxy s on another network but that has taken so long to be released have decided to wait for the iphone.

is1111

Prominent Member
Thanks all for your input. :thumbsup:

I'm on simplicity 30 day tariff currently, so maybe I should convert to an annual one to keep my unlimited data?

The bit that worries me is the "we can change your tariff if you upgrade your phone".

Does that refer to you doing an official upgrade through 02?

What about if you did an "unofficial" upgrade by buying your own handset?

I reckon they will use the instance of people asking to be upgraded to micro sim as an opportunity to move the goalposts and change the tariff.

The other option is for me to lock in to 12 months Simplicity now and then just cut my sim down to micro size when I source my own i4 outside of O2 (from Apple direct).

That way, O2 would have no sight of me upgrading to i4 and no record of me requesting a micro sim for it. :smashin:

I'm a bit scared about cutting my sim down I must confess. :eek:

It is a bit of a mess. The way i read it if you don't change your account but only asked for a micro sim then your account stays as it is. They don't really have any grounds for changing your contract as it is only a smaller sim card you are asking for not a change of tariff. If you purchase payg iphone or unlocked iphone then you haven't received upgrade from O2 so again they can't change your contract.

if it comes down to cutting your sim card if you make a mess of it can always tell them you need a new sim card on your account and try again. i had to get a replacement sim when phone went awol on holiday in march and there was no charge and not too much hassle.

hot-fuzz

Banned
Ideal world is that i buy a payg from apple, cut my sim down and get unlimited data.

But if it was that easy surely everyone will be doing it....... Heres where the payg ip4 is £800 to stop us doing it :eek:

andyMansurrey

Established Member
morning all.on the virgin mobile website they are offering 800 mins unlimited txt and unlimeted data for £20 a month on a 30 day deal..good deal i reckon..am i right in thinking virgin use the t mobile network?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
morning all.on the virgin mobile website they are offering 800 mins unlimited txt and unlimeted data for £20 a month on a 30 day deal..good deal i reckon..am i right in thinking virgin use the t mobile network?

I'M pretty sure you are right, yes.

Sounds like a good deal on the face of it.

I'm off to take a look now. :smashin:

andyMansurrey

Established Member
will have to chop the virgin sim up of corse to get it in iphone 4...oh and get the phone unlocked 1st of corse!!..fingers crossed the payg iphone 4 can be unlocked.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member

Virgin £20 + unlimited web access - 30 day rolling contract
SIM card cost FREE
Your tariff gives you:
800 mins
Unlimited texts

I can't see a mention of MMS, but it certainly looks ok other than that.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
will have to chop the virgin sim up of corse to get it in iphone 4...oh and get the phone unlocked 1st of corse!!..fingers crossed the payg iphone 4 can be unlocked.

I *think* that if you bought your phone from Apple, it would come unlocked and un-activated and would then activate and lock when you first connect it to iTunes to set everything up.

andyMansurrey

Established Member
the mms issue is interesting...im on o2 simplicity with a set amount of txt (1400),an mms message uses up 4 txt which is good.but if your on unlimited txt they charge you extra for mms...which is bad.
i think im right..correct me if im wrong!

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
The issue there of course is that you are reliant on the jailbreakers and unlockers should you ever want to move from the mobile provider that you activated with originally (e.g. Virgin).

But I guess that applies anyway.....?

Simba

Distinguished Member
Depends if they impose terms on micro sim's - e.g. can only be activated on new iphone tariffs or revised tariffs. think that would go outwith existing t&c's though so unlikely.

andyMansurrey

Established Member
if i have to change my current simplicity deal to get the new iphone 4,i wont get it.im very happy with my 3gs,and with iso4 it will be better still..will wait and see.

hot-fuzz

Banned
I dont think they charge for mms with unlimited data as it uses data to send it hence why the 20p for capped tariffs.

Also one more thing to bare in mind with virgin is free wifi.
Make sure they have good wifi hotspots if you want to use facetime when not at home.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom