Current Receiver denon 1906, Do I add an seperate amp, or upgrade to a 2807 or 4306?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dhoffacker, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dhoffacker

dhoffacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current setup is as follows:

fronts: KEF IQ5, 15-130 Watts, Sensitivity 89db, 8 ohms
    center: KEF IQ6c, 15-150 Watts, Sensitivity 90db, 8 ohms
    rear: MS 302, 15-85 Watts, Sensitivity 86db, 4-8 ohms
    Sub: MS 309

I currently have a denon 1906 (silver 786), which is 85 watts per channel. In both my center an fronts, my highs are slightly distorted at medium-high volume levels, and there is some sibilance.

When I bought the speakers they were hooked up to a 3806, and they sounded great to my ears. I already had the 1906 (was a gift). So I think my problem is that 85 watts per channel isn't enough power for my fronts, and I don't want to damage my speaker, by underpowering them.

Question: Should I just add an external amp, to the 1906, such as the Parasound A52, Rotel 1075, ADCOM 7706 etc.?

Or should I upgrade my receiver to the new 2807 or 4306. I like the network capablities of the 4306. But I am just thinking, maybe I should add an external amp, and then add a new pre-amp later when networking, hdmi, is standard on mid level amps, in 2 years.

Any advice would be helpful.

I am willing to spend between 500-2000.

If I do decide to add an external amp, which one do you recommend, that will work well with my denon as a pre amp?
    Parasound, Rotel, Arcam, ADCOM etc?

Thanks

Dan

2. WarLock

WarLock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the rotel rmb-1075!

3. musicman1999

musicman1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it go away if you turn the volumn down.It amy be a room related problem.Not familiar with your speakers,but unless you are listening a very high volumn levels i doubt an external amp will help.

bill

4. dhoffacker

dhoffacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem does go away if I turn the volume down. It starts around -26 to -24 db, and because of the issue I never go below -20db. With my setup I don't even get to decent listening levels till about -35db.

Thanks again

Dan