1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Pixel Tolerances?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by reckless, Aug 20, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Does anyone know what the current pixel tolerances are for firms like Sony, Panasonic, Sharp etc? It says on a number of retail sites to see the manufacturers website for details but I can't seem to find them specified anywhere.

Thanks

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The current standard that is being adopted is ISO 13406-2. I am unaware if all manufactures are adopting this standard but I would assume that any screens not falling within this standard would be classed as not suitable for use intended. The standard states

Failure Class ------Type 1--Type 2--Type 3
    I -----------------0--------0--------0
    II ----------------2--------2--------5
    III ---------------5--------15-------50
    IV ---------------50-------150------500
    Failure Type 1 fully luminous (colour white)
    Failure Type 2 not fully luminous (colour black)
    Failure Type 3 e.g. defect sub-pixel (colour red, green, blue) *

* one Pixel of a LCD consists of three sub-pixels in the colour red, green and blue

Per million pixels.

I would assume that most manufacturers would state that class II would be sutitable for home use. Class I is normally reserved for military and medical purposes. Types III would be reserved for computer monitors and type IV for very small screens (ie 100k pixels)

I have tried to find this information myself to no avail. However, one manufacturer (Philips I think) state that they use Class II but if the failures occur in the same region then they would replace then set.

Due to the improvement in production of screens, more and more are being built to Class I tolerances but still being rated as Class II. I guess this covers the backs of the manufacturers.

This is an interesting link for the standard
    http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/specials/online_englisch/iso/

A phone call to any manufacturer should provide you with an answer - at least until they publish the figures on the specs.

Edited to add - I have just Googled "ISO 13406-2" "Pixel failure class" and it only seems to be NEC that currently state which failure class they adhere to.

3. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much. I wondered if the fact that LCD screens seem to be multiplying exponentially and more cheaply meant that they were getting better at making them and so making the tolerances tighter.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting the new Sony but I keep on worrying about how it's a lot of cash to splash out and get a dead pixel. I was hoping that the tolerances would be tighter on the larger unit as it's so expensive.

Thanks for the info.