Quantcast

Current Panasonic VIERA DX902 TX-65DX902B & TX-58DX902B Issues

trevdigital

That's encouraging at least. Thanks for the update. Nothing further from the Beeb at the moment.
New 11 Jan build of iplayer but I don’t think anything has changed.

jah

Steve Withers did ask Panasonic about why the BBC iPlayer HLG does not work on DX902. All Panasonic said is that they are working on it.
IPlayer isn’t working at all on my 50CX802. Not very happy. Called Panasonic last December and they tried to get me to do a complete hard reboot. I didn’t fancy it as she couldn’t even guarantee that it was a fix. It’s a pretty big blow not to be able to watch the latest Blue Planet in HLG. I watched the previous demo fine. I’m wondering if an argument can be made for a replacement set as iPlayer is a major feature these days and if it’s broken I’d say Sale of Goods Act applies.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
IPlayer isn’t working at all on my 50CX802. Not very happy. Called Panasonic last December and they tried to get me to do a complete hard reboot. I didn’t fancy it as she couldn’t even guarantee that it was a fix. It’s a pretty big blow not to be able to watch the latest Blue Planet in HLG. I watched the previous demo fine. I’m wondering if an argument can be made for a replacement set as iPlayer is a major feature these days and if it’s broken I’d say Sale of Goods Act applies.
When I've had issues with either Netflix or iPlayer a full reset normally cures it. Only happened a couple of times in 18 months, hope you can sort it!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Just to note Blue Planet 2 UHD is no longer on iPlayer.
4K UHD is the way to go anyway EDDY as Steve Withers says, takes it to another level! :) got it for £20 aswell from zoom in the 25% off code...happy days...just waiting for bladerunner 2049 + whisky glasses set from zoom.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
has anyone had any issues with judder (and what looks like frame skipping/dropped frames) on 4k uhd and regular bluray, even screen savers! and how did you solve it. is it a 3:2 pulldown issue?

Last edited:

Dodgexander

has anyone had any issues with judder (and what looks like frame skipping/dropped frames) on 4k uhd and regular bluray, even screen savers! and how did you solve it. is it a 3:2 pulldown issue?
Nope, check your blu-ray player is outputting the source at its native frame rate and not using 3:2 pulldown.

A question for anyone who may know any news on Panasonic fixing the BBC iPlayer fault? Or the built in apps preset fault? anyone actually called them to see what they have said?

davejones2

What player are you using. If it's a Panasonic UHD player have a look through my old postings for a similar problem with solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
It's deffo the TV, not my oppo the 2017 oleds had the same issue, that why panny issued a firmware update on the oleds

Dodgexander

Just thought id paste my reply from Panasonic regarding the BBC iPlayer fault. I have contacted them regarding the picture preset getting stuck on normal/dynamic with the built in apps and also the fault where it forgets certain settings when it does remember to use the right picture mode. I'll update with those too. I also have a problem with my TV where it never sees any Bluetooth devices which I have contacted them about but I'm guessing it's only me with this problem?

Here is the message:
Dear Dodgexander,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to learn of the circumstances that have prompted you to contact our department.

We have been made aware that a number of our customers have been experiencing difficulty accessing BBC iPlayer via the inbuilt App.

We are currently investigating the problem, in conjunction with the BBC, to understand what is causing the problem as this is isolated to only a small percentage of our customers. Once we have established the cause of the problem we will move quickly to work on a fix. We are sorry for the disruption that this issue will be causing to you if you have been affected. We plan to contact you as soon as a permanent solution becomes available.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Howard

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK
So basically no fix because they can't reproduce it. Whether they even tried to or not is another matter.

dudeonline

My 65DX902 had just lost internet access. It says it can connect to the router but no internet access from there. All other devices are fine. I have tried everything but it remains. Anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking it's a network card fault.

johny1980

My 65DX902 had just lost internet access. It says it can connect to the router but no internet access from there. All other devices are fine. I have tried everything but it remains. Anyone else had this issue? I'm thinking it's a network card fault.
It happened to me a few days ago and others on the owners thread

It corrected itself and is fine for me now

Dodgexander

@Eddy555 and anyone else interested

Current Issues I have with my 65DX902.
  • BBC iPlayer - After a factory reset sometimes this comes back again, don't want to keep having to do this every time it breaks and lose my settings! Panasonic said they are working on reproducing it so probably won't get fixed.
  • YouTube HDR support - Did you hear back anything in the end regarding it Eddy? In the FAQ you mentioned you will contact them regarding this again.

Following only applies to the Amazon instant video app picture modes, (maybe only HDR)?
  • Dynamic/Normal mode getting stuck in Amazon sometimes - Known bug, still waiting on a response from Panasonic.
  • Sharpness defaults back to the default 30 and colour temp back to normal sometimes when using Amazon. Not sure as yet if other settings also revert when this happens. - Is this the bug you mention @Eddy555 in your guide about all picture mode settings? - Still waiting for a response from Panasonic.
The last two points aren't apparent with external sources as far as I have seen...haven't tested enough with other apps.
  • Bluetooth doesn't find any Bluetooth keyboards. - Still no answer from Panasonic.
Does anyone else have any of these faults?

Eddy555

The iPlayer bug doesn't appear to affect all sets, but some users are plagued with it.
No info on the YouTube HDR support - personally I doubt it'll ever happen. Google seem to be very slow at rolling this out to other devices. I mean even Windows 10 can't do this yet!
Amazon app is flakey. Yes that sounds like the same issue I see, if you look at the picture settings you'll see it's not using any picture mode (Normally it says VOD in the top right of the menu, but there's nothing displayed. Again I'd be amazed if they fixed this.

At this point I'd either live with the apps and their faults or look to getting an external solution like a Roku or nVidia shield for smart apps.

Dodgexander

Dear Panasonic.

I am writing to complain about both my product and horrendous customer service I have received in relation to my problems.

I own a TX-65DX902B TV purchased in December 2017 from your official refurb store on eBay.

Since I purchased the TV, I have generally been happy with it, its a very good television when it comes to its picture quality.

The problem however ends there, it seems like there are some major issues with the TVs software and functionality that have been completely overlooked by your software engineers. Since my purchase I have been in touch with you various times regarding the problems and most of the time I receive an automated email from you stating you will reply, yet you don't.

Here are my case numbers where I have received no reply:

Here is the case number I have received a reply to regarding the known iPlayer fault:
And most recently my recent feedback regarding your incorrect findings on the fault:

There are various faults with the TV that I would love for you to be able to solve, but you don't seem to be interested.

Being a moderator of the AVForums.com, myself an other DX902 owners have collected these faults and have also tried to contact you regarding them, but again no-one seems to get any kind of customer service. It has come to the point where most have us are so shocked by how poor your service and aftersales have been that we vow never to purchase a Panasonic product again.

Here are the details of the faults with the TV, they are all software related:

1. The TV forgets certain picture settings, this is usually with the presets used for internal apps, but can also be from time to time with an external source. The settings forgot are always Sharpness and Colour Temperature, sometimes also gamma settings are lost too.
  2. The TV forgets which picture mode is chosen for the built in apps, in this instance the TV reverts its picture mode to normal when using one of the smart TV apps and you have to change it back to professional (and set the forgotten settings as noted in step 1 above again).
  3. The TV often has a bug when you launch an app where it doesn't let you change the picture mode from normal or dynamic, almost like its stuck in the "menu" picture modes during video playback, the only fix is to close the app and relaunch it again and hope the right picture modes are selectable.
  4. There is a bug with the iPlayer application where HLG meta data is not shared correctly with the TV, in this instant the iPlayer application only sends wide colour gamut meta information, not the core HDR meta data which results in the TV not going into its HDR picture mode when using HLG in the recent BBC Blue Planet and UHD Trials.
  5. The known issue where iPlayer doesn't launch, which seems to be investigated by you with the BBC, this issue has stated to have been found but this is not the solution at all, this problem happens to people who have never used recording on their TV!
And here are some faults that I have not previously encounter until recently:

1. When using HDMI ARC or Optical passthrough there is a delay caused by the TV with audio. This only happens when the TV is passing through Dolby Digital audio via ARC or Optical.
  2. HDMI ARC functionality is broken, sometimes the TV forgets its set to home cinema mode if you use it without a receiver in between which means when you do use it with a receiver again it plays sound through the TVs speakers and through ARC resulting in echo. This can often be temporarily fixed by visiting the sound menu and changing speakers to home cinema again.
  3. Bluetooth keyboards are not picked up by the TV, it scans for bluetooth devices but does not find any bluetooth keyboards (bluetooth otherwise works fine for everything else).
  4. Youtube HDR still doesn't work, there is a youtube app with UHD but HDR does not work. This was said to be fixed previously but has not
So whilst I (or we) are very happy with our TVs from a picture quality perspective we are dismayed by how many problems there are with the software side of the TV. As you can imagine from reading the faults, I see no reason why this behavoir can't be fixed, after all it is only software related.

Not only have these faults been apparent, but Panasonic's support and customer service has been abysmal. I don't know if you have been putting my queries straight in the bin rather than answering them but I find it disgraceful to be honest.

I am just looking for solutions for these issues and for you to fix a product that you clearly bought to the market faulty, 2 years on from its release and all of these problems still exist is frankly ludicrous.

Please restore our faith in Panasonic and provide solutions.

Thank You for your time reading this complaint and I look forward to your response. If I again do not receive a resolution to these issues. I will have to forward my letter by post directly to Bracknell.

Regards
Just thought I'd copy my complaint I have just sent to Panasonic complaint department, I am not keeping my hopes up but I thought I may as well give things a go.

007L2Kill

Just thought I'd copy my complaint I have just sent to Panasonic complaint department, I am not keeping my hopes up but I thought I may as well give things a go.
Good on you dodge:smashin: and I hope you get them to wake up as when I had my CX700 I brought it new and from two months later I was in contact with them regarding faults I found via IFC and some others as well, this went on for two years and it never got a fix, not to one item I reported.

This goes to Samsung as well, they never fixed the problems on the KS model, still does it today, but Panasonic on the problem I reported, and like others did was all fixed on the DX models, but CX was just forgotten.

I have contacted Sony a few days ago about the frame repeat error it as on my model, so fingers crossed, lets see if Sony is any better?

Good luck Dodge.

Dodgexander

I have contacted Sony a few days ago about the frame repeat error it as on my model, so fingers crossed, lets see if Sony is any better?
Thanks! My suspicion is not, but I hope you get it sorted. By the looks of things those XE9005 owners seem to have received XF9005s so I guess you can't argue with that.

However it has to be said, you lose hair living with these damn problems so I'd prefer a fully working TV rather than just another one with its new problems to live with.

Dodgexander

Looks like I made a little progress with the BBC. I'm through to second line I think. They are asking me for the iPlayer firmware version and I'm not with the TV right now, anyone kind enough to give me details for the latest app?

Home> Cog symbol (top right)> All settings (bottom right) general (left handside) scroll down 'About this TV'

Dodgexander

I am still awaiting a further reply from the BBC, I think they have escalated my case regarding the HLG problem.

I replied to my Panasonic case with more details for them to try and repeat the errors with the TV forgetting picture settings in apps and also getting stuck in the wrong picture mode sometimes.

In the first email they said they would escalate the iPlayer HLG issue to their technical department, so have asked them when I can expect a reply or a solution regarding it.

Regarding the iPlayer not launching investigation, they said its ongoing and the finds when recording are only part of that.

Regarding YouTube HDR support, the supervisor said it was the first he heard about it and he would escalate that, so I have asked when I can hear back regarding that too.

There are various other problems I have open with them but I doubt will see much action, the TV not detecting bluetooth keyboards, audio delay with ARC and audio passthrough and HDMI CEC faults but those, to me aren't anywhere near as important as getting proper HDR support in both youtube and iPlayer, especially given we are going to see more and more HLG support and possibly even world cup game trials with HLG.

Dodgexander

I made some videos of a few of the problems I have to demonstrate them to Panasonic, you can also view them here if interested:

Amazon prime video forgetting settings:

BBC iPlayer not going in to full HDR mode (note at the end demonstrating how TV is supposed to go in to HDR mode with Amazon).

Youtube only having UHD, not HDR:

@Eddy555 also gave me his case number for the promised HDR support in Youtube statement, so let's see what a supervisor has to say about that!

I have yet to cover the stuck in normal/dynamic bug in a video as it happens less often so it's harder to reproduce, I'll keep trying though!

Still in conversation with them, still awaiting reply.
Still awaiting BBC reply.

My conclusion, regarding the lack of proper HLG thus far is this:
There are profiles shown (top right) for each input mode. For HDR this seems to always be blank, but for any app in SDR (Youtube, iPlayer or even Amazon/Netflix with non HDR titles) this shows "VOD".

VOD is obviously a profile that either doesn't support HDR or is used when the app doesn't send the call to the TV about HDR (eg Amazon/Netflix with non HDR shows).

When a HDR call is made to the TV by an app, it uses the same HDR profile for all apps, just the same as the same profile is used with VOD. This just appears blank.

Correct behavior therefore should be the TV does not use the VOD profile with HLG playback and instead uses the "blank" HDR profile that is used in Netlfix/Amazon with HDR titles. Instead right now it only uses the VOD profile, probably because its not triggering the correct profile on the TV.

With an update to Youtube, it should also be enabling the HDR profile just the same as the other apps.

All youtube/BBC/Panasonic have to do is make that link, surely it can't be hard.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest News

Disney+ announces discount for European launch
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney developing AI based video compression
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vizio announces Disney+ available on SmartCast TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published