Current Panasonic VIERA DX902 TX-65DX902B & TX-58DX902B Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by aido, Apr 26, 2016.

1. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      After seeing the success of Panasonic responding to the audio dropout issue on the UB900 review thread I thought it would be worthwhile starting a new thread recapping the issues being seen with firmware 3.232 (current release) on the flagship DX902 TV range. All issues have been logged to Panasonic support with distinct lack of progress so giving this a go.

@Steve Withers / @Phil Hinton is this thread something you can pass onto your contacts at Panasonic please for resolution - I've tried to collate things here to make it easier for them.
      1. Audio dropouts with the builtin Netflix and Amazon Video apps using ARC or optical. Multiple users affected. Seems to be compatibility with some AVRs with some having constant audio dropouts or audio playing at half pitch and is basically unusable in 5.1 mode. Stereo output (for me) has been fine. Fix seems to vary but a warm boot sometimes resolves with a cold boot needed for some people. A video describing and showing the problem is further down this post. It's potentially related to Netflix or Amazon hanging onto the audio output as the media player seems fine when neither app has been launched during that session.
      2. 3D compatibility with some Blu-ray players. Multiple users affected. We are finding some source devices when used with the DX902 seem to misalign the positive and negative parallax layers and it cannot be fixed using the adjustment settings without forcing the other layer into a worse position. 3D when using the UB900 works better as does a Raspberry Pi 2/3 or Intel i7 HTPC & Kodi 17 playing MVC MKV rips of the same disks
      3. Local dimming disabled in 3D mode. All DX902 sets affected. When the TV is put into 3D mode local dimming is disabled meaning you get IPS level blacks (ie grey) - not sure if there is a technical reason behind this. The backlight control seems to be affected in that you still have a range of 1 to 100 but there is very little difference between 0 and 100.
      4. Slight timing issue with genuine Panasonic 3D glasses causing extra crosstalk. Multiple users affected. During testing I found that third party glasses from Samsung and Hisense actually show fractionally less crosstalk than the Panasonic glasses listed as being compatible with the sets. It's possible this is a fluke and there's hardly anything in it but you'd expect genuine glasses to perform better than the cheaper glasses.
      5. Black / purple smearing. All 65DX902 sets affected. This is dependant on source and doesn't happen too often (I've seen it less than 1% of the time so far but it is more prominent during snooker) but appears to be potentially overdrive trailing (LCD Motion Artifacts: Overdrive | Blur Busters), slow black level response times of the panel or something caused by the backlight scanning. It does not occur on other vendors hardware and is not in the source media. Sample videos shown below but basically when it appears the panel is not responding quickly enough and leaves a smear type effect. The effect happens with all user selectable picture processing disabled (ie IFC off) and adaptive backlight control off (which tends to minimise the effect). It has been shown to happen in both UHD & 1080p content. The problem can be amplified by enabling 2D to 3D conversion and watching the scenes that show problems in 2D and this makes it much easier to see. The 58 inch doesn't seem to be as badly affected.
      6. Adaptive Backlight Control. All DX902 sets affected. This issue is showing it's hand more with HDR content and seems to be that the backlight gradient levels aren't changing fast enough for the content so on pans you can physically see the backlight doing it's thing across the screen and it's quite jarring. The effect is minimised on the Minimum setting but becomes more obvious with Mid or Max settings. It's not so obvious on most SDR content with a lower backlight level but when the backlight is pushed up for HDR you can see that tweaks need to be made in firmware.
      7. Optical audio latency. Multiple users affected. Latency of 2 seconds is seen when playing back an HDMI source and sending the raw bitstream audio over an optical SPDIF connection.
      8. Built in media player. All users affected. When files do play (many don't) they often suffer from stuttering which is potentially a memory buffer problem (or lack thereof). The problem is mitigated by using USB3 instead of ethernet but the problem persists. Also DTS soundtracks can't be bitstreamed via ARC which I assume is due to lack of a license.
      Panasonic TX-65DX902B / TH-65DX950 /...

(original clip available here - http://demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/Sony_4K_HDR_Camp.mp4 - watch the oars smearing)

(This was playing back Daredevil Season 2 Episode 1 from Netflix and the scene is around 5 mins in just after the opening credits - watch his glasses)

The problem has also been reported on transmissions of the snooker (I have a raw TS file recorded which can be supplied which shows the problem) and also Peppa Pig when black lines such as Daddy Pig's glasses move around the screen (and yes I'm laughing typing that :) )

The audio issues with ARC and the built in media applications are explained in this video:

The 3D compatibility issue with some sources seems to be identical to that being experienced on the latest Sony range so potentially they're using the same chip - I don't have a 3D video handy but basically it's very much like the problem experienced around 5:28 into this video -

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    2. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +99
      Can we add the issue of the lighting array being visible when using anything other than Off with the Adaptive Backlight Control setting please? Maybe just me being pedantic but it really is distracting :(

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    3. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I was just adding that one as realised I'd missed it, it's on there as #7 now :)

4. AndersT2

AndersT2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +61
      Regarding nr 2: I just checked, and I do get Dolby Digital Plus from the TV over HDMI Arc to my Marantz AV8802A. Just verifyed it. Put the Marantz in Auto, and followed what it got in on my tablet app for it. When playing a youtube video, I get stereo, the same with the NRK app (Norwegian TV). When turning to Netflix (Blacklist season 1, ep 2, start) It changes to "Dolby D+ Dolby Surround" as input signal.

I do get dropouts in the sound when Netflix has been used, and I return to it after doing something else. Always been resolved by turning the TV and Marantz to standby and back again. As long as I never leave Netflix after I started it, the dropouts won't happend.

5. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +99
      You are a legend thank you :) Now let's see what the mighty P have to say on these issues.

It is always a good measure of a Company not how they respond when things are going right, but how they do when things are not..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      They definitely reacted well to the UB900 issue so hopefully it's just a case of this list getting to the right people to move it forwards now - we shall see but the ball is most definitely in Panasonic's court.

7. BriD

BriD

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      You star, thank you. ARC stuttering and the black smearing are the big ones for me.

8. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +99
      Indeed it is. I am not sure what recourse there could be as purchasers of the set if these issues cannot be fixed. The one I have mentioned is a real deal breaker to me and having read the glowing review on here I decided to take a very big (£3k) risk.

Had I seen this prior to purchasing I would not have picked this set. Anyhoo less of the negativity , over to Panasonic to restore positivity :)

9. olisun

olisun

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +232
      I have been trying to get this thread started for some time now especially for the 3D issues.

I am glad you did.

10. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      the issue that is bugging me, is that when streaming hdr mode from netflix, it wacks up contrast and backlight to 100 with no control, other than to keep turning them down. which i cant when im watching either ISF night or day! surely there should be a min, mid, max to give us more control and it should remember the setting so you don't have to keep changing them.

i still want Panasonic to sort the crosstalk issues out, i for one still love 3d. what's worse is the avforums review of the DX750 the 3D has a good review! with the top of the range suffering from excessive crosstalk..get your finger out Panasonic!

@aido It would also be worth putting the contact details in the first post or as a sticky, email, phone number to report these issues directly to panasonic..the more that gets logged, the more chance we have to getting things done. i must admit, panasonic have improved their response to consumer issues with sets recently, so i hope they can continue the good work.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    11. Lakshmanan

Lakshmanan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      @aido, great painstaking job in bringing all the key issues to one place. Thank you on behalf of all DX902 owners. Is this the right place to also include the vertical banding that almost all 58 inch owners and some 65 inch owners are seeing?

12. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,552
      should be a useful thread
      good work @aido :thumbsup:

13. RickP

RickP

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +105
      That's a strange one, mine does remember HDR picture settings via Netflix. First time I used it backlight and contrast was at 100, but after adjusting to my liking it stays that way every time.

14. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Interesting timing but it seems todays episode of Lucifer on the Amazon Video app (season 1 episode 13) is showing the worst example of the near dark black smearing of anything that I've seen yet! Quite a few examples up to the 7 minute mark of the smearing following Lucifer's suit around.

I'm just trying to work out if it's actually in the source or whether it's the TV doing it again. Lucifer is usually one of the best looking shows around especially matched with a TV like this or an OLED.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    15. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +139
      I was experiencing this after the HDR Neflix update - there is a setting in the 902 called something like "content enable"?? I turned this off and it stopped this problem - my ISF calibrator told me how to do this but he also had to come over to unlock my ISF settings and pull the backlight and contrast down and then lock them again.

16. rickmoz

rickmoz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +268
      Only issue I have is when passing through audio from an HDMI source through optical bitstream there is really bad lag about 2 seconds delay.

17. dmk1198

dmk1198

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +402
      I've got a 'dirty ' screen patch right in centre of tv, really noticing it now, urghh, what to do???

18. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      How about passing dolby digitial 5.1 from the Panasonic TV's optical out when watching a dolby digital source (i know its been 2.0 output channel for ages now), but other manufacturers seem to be able to get 5.1 from their optical output.

19. Phil1975

Phil1975
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,342
      Thought I add my comments

For me it's 3D just doesn't seem right, seems to be out of alignment, using 3D adjustment seems to help....Also strangely the longer you run a 3D film the better it gets.??

Also I do have very slight banding when panning...again it's there sometimes other times it's not...maybe source related.

20. AndersT2

AndersT2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +61
      For me it seems that it on page 274 of the manual says stay to enjoy multi-channel sound, you could use either HDMI or the optical (Even if it seems they put in an "and" instead of "or" in there.)

21. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      @PHILIP1193 - I haven't tried that but I thought it was working - under the Sound menu have you got SPDIF selection at Auto or PCM and have you tried toggling it to see if that helps?

@rickmoz you're using 5.1 over optical aren't you?

22. rickmoz

rickmoz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +268
      This does work already I will get 5.1 DD from an HDMI source through optical in my playbar and shows this in my sonos app, but that's where it ends because like I said my only problem is that there is a about a 2 second delay :( and have to use a switch box.

23. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I don't know if any of you have UB900s with firmware 1.02 still but that seemed to give me fantastic 3D performance whereas since upgrading to 1.03 the same disk (Hugo 3D) is now showing crosstalk again.

The problem is once you upgrade the UB900 firmware you can't rollback - I'm thinking of having the UB900 swapped out now to get back to where it was.

24. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,843
      I think you ought to give up on Panasonic products,you dont seem to be having much luck :(

25. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Yeah it's just disappointing that after weeks of having 3D issues it finally looked great when the UB900 was first hooked up and then it's not right again the first time I sit down to actually watch a full film in 3D.

All that has changed is the firmware version of the UB900 but I'll check it again tomorrow in case something else is going on.

I've just read the service manual for another of the Panasonic DMB Blu-ray players but no sign of forcing a firmware downgrade. Not sure why they'd block you from downgrading - as things stand if a firmware update breaks something you're at Panasonic's mercy.

We'll see how they respond initially to all this but it's disappointing us end users are having to push for resolutions on issues that should have been picked up before they got to us.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    26. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      Bish i will speak to Steve as he also calibrated my set and get this sorted!

27. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I had a theory while sat on the toilet (it's where all the best ideas come from) to test out the Daredevil clip while in 2D to 3D conversion mode to see what that did to the black smearing as in theory that should amplify it due to alternating the left and right images at high speed (from memory 1/120 of a second).

Sure enough it worked and amplifies the scenes that show the problem so it's more obvious.

Now I've not actually seen the black smearing in normal 3D content before (just crosstalk) but seeing as this amplifies the smearing problem it should make it easier for the Panasonic engineers to see.

Worst case it's the panel but you'd have thought a top of the range 120Hz panel wouldn't be having problems like that these days so fingers crossed it's just the driving that needs tweaking (assuming it's upgradeable via firmware).

28. BriD

BriD

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      I'm 99.99% sure it's some weird software issue, and my reasoning goes back to Peppa Pig.

On almost any episode you care to pick, Daddy Pigs glasses smear terribly, BUT the eyes on the other pigs in the family don't. Also, it seems very speed sensitive. If something moves fast it doesn't happen. If it moves at a very specific speed it's super obvious. In my uneducated opinion, if it was a panel issue, then we'd have the problem with all moving dark objects and the thing would be unwatchable.

The Sony oars are by far the worst though.

29. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Thanks for the responses on 5.1 from the optical.

Although i cannot get it to work with PCM or bitstream. This is when watching a blu-ray via HDMI and secondary audio is set to off.

My playbar says...

PLAYBAR: Playbar
      Version: 6.2 (build 31926010)
      Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-2
      IP Address: 192.168.2.37
      Audio In: Stereo

Im unsure if it only work sin 5.1 mode though when i have the rears and subwoofer connected. Currently its working on its own.

30. AndersT2

AndersT2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +61
      Stereo is the same as PCM 2 ch.

You most likely refers to the Sonos Playbar. It only support PCM 2 ch or Dolby Digital signals. Dolby Digital Plus which Netflix uses, and any form of DTS is not supported. (I haven't been able to confirm if SP/Dif supports DD+ or not)

But your problem might be with the Sonos.

I don't know how your BD player does the handshake with the TV, but with a Dolby True HD soundtrack, it will either sendt standard Dolby Digital or PCM, since it can't see that the TV supports True HD. For DTS, which most BD movies have, it will send it's DTS Core signal, which is standard 1,5 Mbps DTS supported by SP/Dif, but not the Sonos.

Most likely you should put the BD player and the TV to Stereo, and live with that as long as you have the Sonos. (They where too cheap to licence in DTS support)