1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current HD films vs. what we'll see on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dan1979, Jul 11, 2005.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I'm sure most of us have seen the current crop of high def films/trailers that are around which I've just lately started getting very keen on.

Are the next gen formats going to look any better than what we have now?
    i.e what sort of file size/bit rates are can we expect to get and will it be a jump from what there is now, I'm thinking in particular of films with bit rates of 18MB/s+ surely that high is as good as it gets??

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Well just my opinion but I reckon they should be lots better than what we get now.

US .ts streams are MPEG2 with a bit rate of around 14Mbps which look very nice. WMV-HD discs fit an entire film on a normal DVD. If you think about it HD-DVD/BluRay have 15Gb+ to fit a movie on using the latest codec which should be better than any of that so I'm hoping it's better than what we've seen so far :)

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The .ts captures circulating are mainly off-air captures from US HDTV channels. As such they are almost certainly compressed "live" using broadcast MPEG2 HD encoders - and won't have benefited from multi-pass compression, and optimisation.

In some ways this is like comparing off-air BBC One SD with an SD DVD - the difference could be quite marked.

There is also the issue that HD-DVD and BluRay have more advanced codecs available for compression - MPEG4 H264 AVC and VC-1 are I believe in both specs in addition to MPEG2. These should deliver improved picture quality for a given bit rate.

If you compare current WMV-HD and H/EVD releases with prospective BluRay and HD-DVD I think there are still likely to be improvements - as the studios are likely to have higher quality masters to source from (film scans rather than just HD-D5 transfers for example) - and spec higher quality mastering gear with latest top of the line compression?