Current deal ending (up to 150Mb/s), mainly being offered slower speeds by other providers?!

Inked

Distinguished Member
As title, current Sky broadband “up to 150” deal is ending and looking around, most fibre providers are mainly offering slower speeds. Is this just down to the amount of customers era they already have in the area?
Was actually hoping to get faster speeds.

Currently, the only providers offering the same speed are BT (but I have to have a landline) or EE (the can’t port my phone line, I think as it’s currently VOIP with Sky, so would either need to lose it or change number).

Any negatives or benefits to either? I’m with EE for mobile, so inclined to lean toward them for the extra 20gb data on mobile, and the cheaper price. Guessing the fibre network is exactly the same so really only the hardware and customer service to consider?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's more likely the ISPs aren't offering services on the infrastructure you're currently connected to. Who else did you look at?

As far as I know BT and EE only use the openreach infrastructure suggesting you're currently on either a G.Fast or Openreach FTTP line.

G.Fast has never been widely utilised by ISPs, Openreach only rolled it out to a few percent of the country (and stopped a few years ago). FTTP is fairly new. Both the rollout and ISP support are expanding rapidly but there are still those waiting to offer it.

If you needed the line connected to your house replacing when you signed up to your current speed (whether with sky or someone else) then you're likely FTTP. If the line connected to your house was untouched then you're on G.Fast.

Inked

Distinguished Member
It's more likely the ISPs aren't offering services on the infrastructure you're currently connected to. Who else did you look at?

As far as I know BT and EE only use the openreach infrastructure suggesting you're currently on either a G.Fast or Openreach FTTP line.

G.Fast has never been widely utilised by ISPs, Openreach only rolled it out to a few percent of the country (and stopped a few years ago). FTTP is fairly new. Both the rollout and ISP support are expanding rapidly but there are still those waiting to offer it.

If you needed the line connected to your house replacing when you signed up to your current speed (whether with sky or someone else) then you're likely FTTP. If the line connected to your house was untouched then you're on G.Fast.
I’m on G.Fast.

I know they’ve pulled new fibre through the estate within the last year to prepare for FTTP but doesn’t look like it’s currently being offered.

Am I in that case correct in thinking that it’s only the router and after sales I need to concern myself with if switching to either BT or EE from Sky and that my service should at least be as fast as it currently is?

oneman

According to MSE, the following ISP are offering FTTP via OpenReach

• Andrews & Arnold
  • Aquiss
  • BT
  • Cerberus
  • Fibre.net
  • Giganet
  • LCC Communications
  • Orbital Net
  • Pine Media
  • Sky
  • Spectrum Internet
  • Structured Communications
  • Syscomm
  • TalkTalk
  • Uno
  • Vodafone
  • Zen

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
According to MSE, the following ISP are offering FTTP via OpenReach

That's an incomplete or out of date list, and he's already stated he's not in an FTTP area yet anyway.

Am I in that case correct in thinking that it’s only the router and after sales I need to concern myself with if switching to either BT or EE from Sky and that my service should at least be as fast as it currently is?

Pretty much yeah, it's unusual to see established ISPs have bandwidth problems that are noticeable under normal use. When it does happen it's usually just one piece of hardware affecting a small area.

There will be more ISPs offering G.Fast but it sounds like you're after the ones that offer the big up front discounts (paid for by every increasing prices after the minimum contract length) and you've likely checked all of them already.

Inked

Distinguished Member
That's an incomplete or out of date list, and he's already stated he's not in an FTTP area yet anyway.

Pretty much yeah, it's unusual to see established ISPs have bandwidth problems that are noticeable under normal use. When it does happen it's usually just one piece of hardware affecting a small area.

There will be more ISPs offering G.Fast but it sounds like you're after the ones that offer the big up front discounts (paid for by every increasing prices after the minimum contract length) and you've likely checked all of them already.
Mainly after the fastest speed available to me. As that seems to be what I'm already on, I have limited choice as only EE, BT or Sky are offering it.

Appreciate your assistance, now to decide whether to stick or twist

Edit: Shell (spit) energy are offering their ultrafast broadband but requires an engineer visit at a cost of £60 for up to 271Mb/s

Edit 2: looking at their FAQ's, this looks like it is still only fibre to the cabinet, so I'm guessing I'm likely to only get the same speed I am getting now.
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12.59.23.png

Last edited:

Inked

Distinguished Member
To add to the confusion, I rang Shell to find out about the £60 new line charge as I already have a G.Fast socket installed so was wondering what the difference would be.
The rep on the phone said that I couldn't even get the up to 290 service and the fastest they could offer me was the 160 that I'm already on, but that I'd still need a new line installed by them for £60.

Thornhill5

Standard Member
As title, current Sky broadband “up to 150” deal is ending and looking around, most fibre providers are mainly offering slower speeds. Is this just down to the amount of customers era they already have in the area?
Was actually hoping to get faster speeds.

Currently, the only providers offering the same speed are BT (but I have to have a landline) or EE (the can’t port my phone line, I think as it’s currently VOIP with Sky, so would either need to lose it or change number).

Any negatives or benefits to either? I’m with EE for mobile, so inclined to lean toward them for the extra 20gb data on mobile, and the cheaper price. Guessing the fibre network is exactly the same so really only the hardware and customer service to consider?
If it's an Openreach based FTTP service, you should be able to select from a few providers including (but not limited to) BT, Sky, TalkTalk, EE, Shell, Giganet, Zen and Cuckoo Broadband.

If you're after faster speeds, then the latter 3 for instance offer 900Mbps and on shorter contracts with fixed pricing (i.e. no price increase in March/April).

Maybe you're best bet if FTTP is coming soon, is to go for Mobile Broadband via 4G on a rolling contract (or short contract) so that you can sign up for FTTP when it comes to your address. The speed would be more like 50Mbps, but it would be a stop gap measure.

That would give you more purchasing/negotiating power than getting locked into a 24 month contract for G.Fast broadband with a single provider (who would then try to set their price for you to upgrade with them).

Inked

Distinguished Member
Decided to go with EE as at £32 the price (plus data boost on mobile) was better than staying with Sky for the same speed we currently get due to having our mobile contract with them (still annoying they can offer my next door neighbour 300mb but not my address). Normal price for non mobile customers advertised as £36/m.

Signed up yesterday for installation of a new line on 25th and this morning woke to an email with all the details and a price of…….£41 a month.

Called them up and they can’t adjust the discount until after installation so I’ve cancelled as I prefer to get these things sorted before hand. Back to square one.

jonnystuartUK

Decided to go with EE as at £32 the price (plus data boost on mobile) was better than staying with Sky for the same speed we currently get due to having our mobile contract with them (still annoying they can offer my next door neighbour 300mb but not my address). Normal price for non mobile customers advertised as £36/m.

Signed up yesterday for installation of a new line on 25th and this morning woke to an email with all the details and a price of…….£41 a month.

Called them up and they can’t adjust the discount until after installation so I’ve cancelled as I prefer to get these things sorted before hand. Back to square one.
I'm moving from Sky to Vodafone, i'm getting 500mbps for £32 (£3 discount for being a Vodafone customer) so might be worth having a look at them.

Inked

Distinguished Member
I'm moving from Sky to Vodafone, i'm getting 500mbps for £32 (£3 discount for being a Vodafone customer) so might be worth having a look at them.
Will do, had gone for EE but cancelled. Advertised at £32/m but when I got confirmation of the order it was showing at £42 a month.
Called them and they said they would only be able to amend it after installation so I cancelled.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom