• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Current best Internet provider (reliable/cheap/unlimited?)

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
Looking to switch from Sky (with whom I have a TV, phone and Internet subscription ending this month) who have been great, no complaints at all, but looking to spend less every month, so getting rid of the sky tv and switching to FreeSat+

We currently pay Sky an extra £10 a month for fast, reliable, unlimited Internet, and about £11 a month line rental. So I'm looking for a good Unlimited deal with a reliable company, but hopefully still reasonably priced.

My parents have recently switched to TalkTalk, who are cheap at £6.99 for Internet and £13 rental, but that's 40gb download limit and for 80gb it's an extra fiver a month. This would cost about £25 a month and still wouldn't be unlimited, but should be enough for us. Are there any better deals for Internet and phone line combined? I would qualify for cheap O2 broadband, but can't get it in my area, so it becomes far too expensive! :thumbsdow

Any suggestions much appreciated, as I have about 3 weeks to research and make a decision :smashin:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Just going from personal experience, I'd steer well clear of Talk Talk. I had nearly 3 months of hell with them when my speed was cut to a quarter.

Literally dozens of phone calls and emails got me nothing except broken promises.

Then again, maybe I was just unlucky :)

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Why not stick with Sky broadband unlimited @ £15 pm (no sky tv or sky line rental req'd at this price) and then have your line rental/calls with BT and Freesat as your satellite provider?

Nothing wrong with TalkTalk LLU broadband (i'm with them) but their customer service is pants though their web support is very good. Their plus package is around £27pm (with line rentals and anytime calls) and even though its advertised as unlimited, this has a 100GB usage limit per month (FUP). They also throttle P2P traffic very heavily, though all other protocols run full speed 24/7.

I would strongly recommend you stick with Sky broadband, unless you're willing to put up with talktalk's awful customer service for the sake of having cheaper broadband. (you pay peanuts, you get peanuts)
PS
The only reason i'm with TalkTalk is because they're the only LLU broadband provider at my exchange and any LLU supplier is better than BT (spit) ip stream based broadband.

MarkE19

There is a lot of good info and deals for broadband listed on MoneySavingExpert.com with cheap line rental (from £6.79/m) deals shown Here.

Mark.

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
Thanks guys,

I was unaware Sky did Broadband deals without TV subscription now, this must be a fairly recent thing as I know they didn't do this a couple of years age when I signed up for the whole Sky package I'm still on now.

Looking at the website, it looks like I could get Unlimited Broadband and line rental from Sky for £21.25 a month, which is great value. Looks like I will just cancel the TV subscription and keep their internet and phone :smashin:

EDIT: Line rental is set to rise in June, so may go up £1 or so, but that's still around £23 maximum per month, which is a good deal for truly unlimited Internet and landline rental.

Last edited:

dr no

I recently moved to virgin media for phone and 30mb broadband. Sky cannot even compare!
Very happy at the moment.

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
I recently moved to virgin media for phone and 30mb broadband. Sky cannot even compare!
Very happy at the moment.

No chance I will be able to receive their broadband anytime soon :( I live in a small town right by the sea and I'm surprised we even get Sky as fast as we do! It's about 3-4 times faster than my parents BT (and now TalkTalk) connection ever was/is, and they only live around the corner!

FallOutBoy

Prominent Member
I am just going to stick with Sky for Broadband and phone, as it's a good deal and truly unlimited, with no slowdowns or caps :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom