Current analogue equipment - you're wasting your money!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Johnnyg37, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In my view, anyone who buys any of the current range of analogue equipment, be it VCRs, HD recorders or DVD recorders is wasting their money. Manufacturers are still continuing to churn out new models fitted with analogue tuners in the full knowledge that the death of the analogue signal is a reality in the not too distant future. Why? The only way to change this is for everyone to stop buying it. Then perhaps we might see some gear with digital tiners. Some hope!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,079
    Hear hear!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have you got the Sony GXD500 on pre-order yet?

I agree with what your saying - DVB equipped DVD recorders are taking too long to arrive - but your hardly wasting your money buying an analogue equipped DVDR. Nobody seriously considers analogue tuners to be worth recording onto DVD from - you buy a DVDR to record from a Digibox using RGB (or at worst S-Video) - and the first couple of generations of DVB equipped recorders are going to do exactly this, i.e. there will be no lossless recording for a while.

4. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO analogue switch off is years away - look how long it took for the old B&W 405 line signal to be switched off.

Unless free or virtually free (e.g. free when you renew your TV licence) set-top boxes are available for DTT, then it would be a very brave government that switched off analogue and forced the voting public to go and buy new TVs.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,079
    .....and the Government isn't collectively intelligent enough to realise that it could be, and should have been (by whatever means possible - tax concessions or penalties for example) "encouraging" manufacturers to equip all broadcast receiving equipment with both digital and analog tuners, so as to limit, by a natural process, the residual number of households without the means to receive digital, when the switch-off occurs.

6. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Easy for you to say. Where I live there's no Freeview or even Channel 5 on analogue (hills in the way in both cases). No cable company runs in my town. And local conservation area rules mean a satellite dish is a no-no (even if I wanted to give R. Murdoch Esq my hard-earned, which I don't).

Can't see any of that changing a hurry. And since the analogue switch-off's just been put back to 2012, I'm not waiting that long before I update my kit....

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,079
    I don't think, necessarily, that new gear should be digital only. TVs and VCRs and HDDRs etc., should all have digital tuners alongside analog ones. In the same way that in 196(7 was it?) a majority of new TVs sold were dual 405/625, VHF/UHF models - which enabled the eventual demise of VHF 405.

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Personally I don't think buying panasonic's 85 dvd rec was a mistake due to the lack of digital tuner. Any recordings I make are though ntl digital. The analogue tuner in the tv being sufficient for viewing. If I really want to access terrestial digital I could pick up a box for as little as £40/50 anyway. I'd rather do that than have to wait for an integrated set. Plus what about the 25% of the uk that cannot currecntly receive a freeview broadcast but can receive analogue tv? If I were to hold off it would be for cheaper prices, a larger HDD and HDMI connections.

I upgraded to take advantage of a richer sounds 50% buy back guarentee 6 months ago or so. At the time I was unaware of the future of HDMI/DVI connections on dvd/flat screens. In hindsight I could have bought a cheap dvd player, stuck with my 21" 4:3 crt sony set and waited for an HDMI compatible dvd and flatscreen tv. If I'd known about it. However I've had 6 months enjoying the products I've bought. The question is, would I really enjoy watching a film/tv that much more if the picture was slightly clearer/sharper etc. It won't alter the content itself. After a point diminishing returns set in. I can't see any reason to upgrade my dvd rec in the near future. Certainly not just for a digital tuner. I'm more interested in upgrading to a higher specced none rec dvd player. Keep the 85 solely for recording. Instead of spending £1,000 on the latest Piooner/Pan/Sony dvd HDD rec, surely you'd be better of sticking with your current HDD/dvd rec and buying something like Pioneer's DV-868 avi. What with sp recordings being nigh on indistinguishable from ntl source, and 36 hours or HDD space, dvd -rs for as little as 35p, I don't see the need to upgrade to a larger HDD, slightly higher rec quality . However, upgrading dvd playback would seem worthwhile. Or wait for dvd blu-ray...

9. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what happens when they switch of anaolgue with the video plus will we have video plus on the digital channels

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Roll on analogue switch off!

Then we can have HDTV :thumbsup: