Curious TV fault: advice appreciated

Bert Coules

I have a small unbranded LCD HD TV which I use for occasional casual viewing when I don't want to fire up my projector. It's fed from the HDMI output of my AV amp, through an active splitter which also feeds the pj.

Today I tried watching a signal routed directly from a DVD player into the set's composite video/audio inputs. I've done this before and the quality has been fine - nowhere near HDMI standard obviously, but perfectly watchable. But today the picture was appalling: hugely over-bright and washed out. I tried changing the set's picture controls but couldn't get anything like a decent result. A bit of experimenting showed that the SCART input gave the same fault and so did the TV's own built-in Freeview tuner (which in the past has also been fine).

Is there a known type of problem which can cause every input except the HDMI one to give such dreadful results? Any thoughts will be very welcome.

Bert

If I were you, I'd try resetting the TV.

Rob

Bert Coules

Thanks, Rob. I'll give it a go in the morning.

Edited to add:

Well, that did the trick, so thanks again for the suggestion. What a strange fault, though. Mind you, the set does have another oddity: the aspect ratio can't be adjusted on an HDMI signal. It seems that that input does indeed bypass some of the display circuitry.

Bert

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Mind you, the set does have another oddity: the aspect ratio can't be adjusted on an HDMI signal. It seems that that input does indeed bypass some of the display circuitry.

The HDMI interface was designed solely as a widescreen interface so any provision for aspect matters, if any is provided, has to be done in the source box.

Bert Coules

Gavtech, that's interesting; I can (fortunately) adjust the aspect ratio on HDMI signals on my projector, but, from what you say, that must be quite unusual.

Bert

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom