1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious Denon display problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bert Coules, Mar 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have a Denon AVR-1802, a fairly basic receiver but an excellent performer.

I've just bought a Home Theatre Master universal remote. This comes with a whole load of pre-programmed codes - including ones for Denon amps.

The amp works perfectly with the new remote, but one curious effect has occured: the front-panel display (which shows which source is selected and what type of audio input is being received) now only comes on when a remote-signal is received and then switches itself off after a couple of seconds. Previously it stayed on all the time - very useful.

There's nothing in the AVR-1802 manual about this being a selectable feature, but do other Denons in the same range have anything similar?

I've tried playing around with keypresses on the remote (and on the original Denon remote) but nothing I can do seems to restore the display.

Any ideas and thoughts will be gratefully received.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Some of the other Denon models (certainly 3801/2/3, A1SE/SR) have a selectable DIMMER option, accessed either by the remote or by a button on the front panel.

When the Dimmer is set to OFF it does exactly as you say, stays off until the remote is used and then goes off again after a few seconds.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Jase, thanks for the reply.

It seems that the 1802 does have this dimmer feature in its software but doesn't have the hardware to access it - and I've inadvertently switched it on with the universal remote. Damn.

I'll play around a bit more, but it might be that I'll have to reset the entire amp to the factory defaults - and I suppose even that won't be guaranteed to get my display back...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    That should do the trick Bert, as it re-initializes the processor.:)

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I just wish I knew which button on the remote I pressed by mistake, so I can avoid it in the future...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

6. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I knew which button you had pressed to activate it, as with my 2802 the remote does not have a Dimmer button and I'd like one please:p