1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious about...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beng, May 9, 2005.

1. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...whether you use a projector in a dedicated projector room set up or whether you incorporate it into your living room?

I'm going to dip my toe into the water with a cheapo budget LCD and do my best to run it into my living room. I'll probably just keep it boxed up and whip it out when I need it. I don't have a separate speaker / amp setup. In my lounge I have a 44inch Hitachi Illumina rear projection television that does all the onboard processing for DD5.1 and DTS.

Could I run the sound through my television? Stupid question I know but I've just always wondered what people do, especially those without separate processing / speakers.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    People do both.

I suspect all the unboxing/reboxing will become a bit of a bind but see how you get on.

As for sound, might be awkward. You'll need the TV on to get the sound out of it, hence you'll also get the pic on the screen which will a) be wasteful and b) create ambient light which ill not help the projector's picture quality....PJ

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Your best bet for a set up is a cheap LCD/DLP pj and a combi amp dvd system (you will def need an amp ) it will get annoying without it and now days most companys produce these things I myself am running a pioneer set up with my PJ and it does the job, And as for the whole boxing up the PJ ......its not worth it they are pretty small anyway so you could leave it out plus once you watch a movie on a PJ you will never wanna watch one on a tv again trust me I have a 56 inch Tosh and I never watch movies on it any more.

Any who good luck and let us know how you get on

Darko

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Lion :hiya:

My biggest problem is where to put the screen :confused:

5. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've thought of similar problems about temporary set up for PJ

while we are on basic questions on set up :D ,

do people who use pj intermittantly, ie just for films/games, have seperate connection than to "regular" TV for day to day viewing, or keep unplugging from TV and input to PJ?? and roll up the long lead??

ta

Jai

6. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My PJ lives on the top of my hifi rack, when its time for it to come out I just move it to the coffee table bringing the 5m component cable with it (stays connected at all times). Plug into mains, drop the blackout blind down to use as a screen, enjoy then tidy away afterwards. Its not much of a pain, 30 seconds setup/tidy required each use. I mainly use the PJ for DVDs, the TV is adequate for TV(!), unless something special is on e.g. Lord of the Rings or Kylie!!

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Apart from refusing to let the wife watch eastenders on a 7ft screen our pj is on most nights for sky or movies so its bolted to the ceiling (out of the way, less damage, no setup refiddling) as is the electric screen (once bitten......).....

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,827
    I went down the budget LCD route about 6 months ago and have it set up in my Office/games room. The PJ, an old technics DPL hi fi (I really should get another 5.1 system for it) a PS2 and an X-Box are all on/in a wall mounted shelf/cupboard that came withmy MFI office furniture. I built a 6 ft 16:9 fixed frame screen from wood & blackout material and that is stored beside my arcade cab. When in use it hangs on a couple of long screws over my blacked out window. It's a bit of a pain getting it out and putting it away and is mainly used for games as it's not the most comfortable room to watch films in. Unfortuantely the other half wouldn't have it in the living room, but then again with it upstairs I can play games on it whilst she watches TV.

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    My PJ sits on a speaker bracket at the back corner of the lounge behind the sofas. It's connected using 20m phono connections to a Quintro+ SCART switcher that feeds RGBs to the projector and RGB SCART to the TV from all the sources.
    All the sources are under the TV in a Leksvik IKEA cupboard with doors to keep the little'un from putting jam in the DVD.
    The screen is a homemade fixed wood frame with a canabalised IKEA blind stretched over it. When we watch a film then it comes down from the office and gets propped in front of the TV on top of the cupboard and put away afterwards.
    Sound goes through the amp to 5.1 speakers that are used for TV and PJ.

I'd have loved a drop down screen but we have really high ceilings and the TV is in a corner so it wasn't possible. I considered a separate room but I don't think it would get used as much as the convertable set up in the lounge.