Chadford

Distinguished Member
Bonza :smashin:

2crojsw.jpg

a9pf2f.jpg

Last edited:

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
I understand it will take about 6 months to get to Mars, spend about a year mooching around the surface collecting stuff and then return to Earth with it's valuable cargo.

This is going to be very interesting and I hope all goes well.

:thumbsup:

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
I understand it will take about 6 months to get to Mars, spend about a year mooching around the surface collecting stuff and then return to Earth with it's valuable cargo.

This is going to be very interesting and I hope all goes well.

:thumbsup:
It's not coming back. All the analysis will be done by the machine itself, under some control from Earth. Only data will be returned.

Solar

The two identical on-board rover computers, called "Rover Compute Element" (RCE), contain radiation hardened memory to tolerate the extreme radiation environment from space and to safeguard against power-off cycles. Each computer's memory includes 256 kB of EEPROM, 256 MB of DRAM, and 2 GB of flash memory. This compares to 3 MB of EEPROM, 128 MB of DRAM, and 256 MB of flash memory used in the Mars Exploration Rovers.
It cost them $2.5 billion to send a 1998 PC to mars, I would have given them my 2011 gamer PC for less than half that :eek:

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
It cost them $2.5 billion to send a 1998 PC to mars, I would have given them my 2011 gamer PC for less than half that :eek:

Little confused by this statement (although I appreciate it was intended as a joke)... they havnt spent 2.5billion on a 1998 pc... theyve spent 2.5 billion GETTING a 1998 pc to mars....

I do agree though in the grand scheme of things they should have nipped to their local PC world and bought an ipad- im sure its just as advanced :laugh:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Ah - OK.

The TV piece I saw (Sky News) said the samples will be returned.

:blush:

That would have been Russias Phobos Grunt? Which is still stuck hanging around Earth somewhere.

If the NASA mission works (i.e. the "new" landing technology) then they have a plan to follow it up with a mission to collect samples and return them.

Interesting stuff, and getting us closer to (wo)man going to Mars, if only the USA/Russia/China/Europe etc could work together on it.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I do agree though in the grand scheme of things they should have nipped to their local PC world and bought an ipad- im sure its just as advanced :laugh:

Too risky, an update from Apple may have killed it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom